Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Elevation Lounge YYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Symmetre
The only real problem here is that the new lounge is in Calgary. Sorry WS, but I'm not flying across the country just to sit in your new lounge on my way to Europe.
Agreed.
It would be easier to take WSs' claims of wanting to go after business flyers more seriously of they had rolled out an announcement of new lounges at their major hubs, along with opening dates. I fly WS a lot domestically but try to avoid connecting through Calgary of I can......and most of the time, I can.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
The only real problem here is that the new lounge is in Calgary. Sorry WS, but I'm not flying across the country just to sit in your new lounge on my way to Europe.
You're right. What they should do is uproot all YYC based employees and move their HQ to suit your specific needs. Then the lounge AND the routes to Europe will be perfectly suited to meet your very specific needs.

Good God.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AC 35k
I don't think the intent here is for YYZ-based fliers. They will launch YYZ-based routes with a lounge in the east in due course. This is for western fliers, and they will be counting on connecting pax from YVR to do this. YVR-YYC makes sense for Europe.

And realistically for fliers like you, WS can't compete. AC is entrenched as the dominant player in YYZ and will not be overcome.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Agreed.
It would be easier to take WSs' claims of wanting to go after business flyers more seriously of they had rolled out an announcement of new lounges at their major hubs, along with opening dates. I fly WS a lot domestically but try to avoid connecting through Calgary of I can......and most of the time, I can.
YYC is their largest hub. It's larger than both YYZ and YVR. YVR is the smallest and will likely remain so, and so will get said lounge last.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
You're right. What they should do is uproot all YYC based employees and move their HQ to suit your specific needs. Then the lounge AND the routes to Europe will be perfectly suited to meet your very specific needs.

Good God.
Is it really that difficult to open more than one lounge at once? Would it truly require relocating the corporate HQ? Can WS not open two lounges without having to physically relocate staff?

Good God.

Given that YYZ is the busiest airport in Canada and serves a population nearly 10 times that of YYC, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect WS might also open a lounge here too since it's their eastern hub. If they really do want to appeal to J and PY travelers, it's table stakes - especially with AC, AF, KL and BA also offering their own lounges at YYZ serving TATL pax.

Last edited by Symmetre; Oct 20, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:01 pm

Given that YYZ is the busiest airport in Canada and serves a population nearly 10 times that of YYC, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect WS might also open a lounge here too since it's their eastern hub. If they really do want to appeal to J and PY travelers, it's table stakes - especially with AC, AF, KL and BA also offering their own lounges at YYZ serving TATL pax.
They absolutely will. Just after YYC. Having a lounge in WS for YYZ isn't going to win them instant new converts. AC owns YYZ. Winning traffic will be WS's long game. The reason WS is picking YYC first is the same reason why AC opened their Signature Suite in YYZ first and nowhere else (yet).
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:23 am

The other day Ed Sims posted this image on LinkedIn about the "almost" complete lounge and that details were coming soon
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/edwar...88383744-ptWj/

Yesterday WS issued a release about an announcement happening next week. Safe to assume its lounge related given the wording in the media advisory, as I doubt there's a new route being announced.
jimsthe1 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:55 pm

Any idea on when the YYC Chinook Lounge might open?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Any idea on when the YYC Chinook Lounge might open?
I was just looking at this Media Advisory: WestJet to make special announcement in Calgary - Oct 20, 2020, perhaps next week?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Pretty sure that has to do with WestJet's new lounge that they are building right now. That is different than the Chinook Lounge.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:21 pm

Pretty sure that has to do with WestJet's new lounge that they are building right now. That is different than the Chinook Lounge.
Thee chinook lounge was closed permanently and will be made redundant once they announce the opening of the new lounge from what I have learnt.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:24 pm

So there won't be any Priority Pass eligible lounges for domestic passengers at YYC anymore?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:32 pm

So there won't be any Priority Pass eligible lounges for domestic passengers at YYC anymore?
No I do not believe so.

There will still be the Aspire Trans border and Aspire International lounges I believe that accept priority pass.

Last edited by cirrusdragoon; Oct 21, 2020 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
No I do not believe so.

There will still be the Aspire Trans border and Aspire International lounges I believe that accept priority pass.
Has Westjet officially stated that they will not be providing Priority Pass access to their new lounge?

Ron.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
Has Westjet officially stated that they will not be providing Priority Pass access to their new lounge?

Ron.
From what I have gathered , no . I have been told by an insider that it has garnished some interest as it would be an additional revenue source , since it would help them cover their cost of running the lounge.

The thought process is they would want to make sure that they’re not cannibalizing the sale of their own lounge memberships by allowing in Priority Pass members; they also want to make sure that crowding from Priority Pass doesn’t diminish the experience to the point that the lounge is no longer relaxing.

I suppose time will tell what they fully decide and I am absolutely anticipating the lounge unveiling next week.

I sincerely hope they , in the next few years obviously, select Toronto for their next lounge site. I only come through there on business sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.