FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   New Marketing : We suggest where you just bought a ticket to (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1989233-new-marketing-we-suggest-where-you-just-bought-ticket.html)

ricktoronto Sep 28, 2019 10:03 pm

New Marketing : We suggest where you just bought a ticket to

Bought a Premium ticket to SJO yesterday. Ticketed and paid and in my account.

Email today : Subject: "Might we suggested a trip to San Jose". Excellent grammar and redundant for someone who just bought a ticket there.

Must be some long hang time on email marketing being aware of activity. But try a question mark on a question and the proper tense on verbs for best effect. And to people who aren't already booked

YYCguy Sep 29, 2019 5:10 am

Likely it’s spam. It appears to have some characteristics of typical spam.

jkordyback Sep 29, 2019 11:39 am

I agree with YYCGuy. Check the actual address that the email was sent from to see if it’s phishing or similar. One of the tell tale signs of an email attack is bad grammar.

aerobod Sep 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkordyback (Post 31576031)
I agree with YYCGuy. Check the actual address of that the email was sent from to see if it’s phishing or similar. One of the tell tale signs of an email attack is bad grammar.

The sending email address can be legitimate, anything can be used as a source address. The important thing is to mouse over any links that are in the email to display them to ensure they are legitimate, without clicking on them.

MSPeconomist Sep 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Better yet, ignore or delete the email. Even if it's legitimate, it's hard to imagine circumstances in which clicking on such links would lead to good results versus ripoff tours, fly by night rental car agencies, and hotel reservations that don't earn points or night credits.

jkordyback Sep 29, 2019 1:17 pm

What aerobod & MSPeconomist said. There a lots of good guides out there on how to spot phishing and other email attacks. Here's an example of one:

https://www.securitymetrics.com/blog...phishing-email

ricktoronto Sep 29, 2019 10:37 pm

It was from WestJet a day after I paid and was ticketed.

The odds of phishing for exactly the same destination a day later is infinitesimally small.

Arthurrs Sep 30, 2019 8:38 am

Every time I think something is mere coincidence, I can't help but think something nefarious lurking behind the curtain. Spoofers are getting very sophisticated, and can employ benign means of tracking your browsing history. Very challenging to avoid it these days.

ricktoronto Sep 30, 2019 5:15 pm

Well a https connection while booking on a VPN with 256 bit encryption on all the time really makes the odds of this being a phishing scam nil. No man in the middle attack, etc.

The from address was from WestJet.

What I think happened is I was looking at the routing in one tab, had to check my WS dollars which mysteriously grew by $50, I closed the first tab and finished on the second tab and WS assumed I abandoned the routing. So they have Borat send e-mail to follow-up.

So wait a full day, don't check to see if the booking happened or not for sure, then send a 3rd graders English e-mail after the fact. The inundation with e-mails is bad enough without useless or pointless ones. Never did get the $50 offer e-mail, though, that would have told me about the free smackers that appeared.

Error 601 Oct 1, 2019 10:09 am

Hotwire and Expedia are also absurd for flogging itineraries you have already booked, highly targeted marketing that completely misses the point.

The online Apple Store used to do this too except with telemarketers.

ricktoronto Oct 1, 2019 2:52 pm

I'd like to see them improve the IT around, or maybe get rid of, the barrage of e-mails. And learning grammar, too, would be nice.

Offer $50 good for a week, see if that results in sales. I still think it is nothing more than a fluke when these one day offers are taken up, and frankly from a business point of view, someone planning to buy today, on WS, does not need to be given $50 off a fare. A week to use might stimulate sales, a day to someone already booking their fare, just loses money. And in my case, no e-mail - just free $50 that was great but cost them $50.

However here's a tip -if you are booking, use one browser tab to set it up, then close, wait 10 minutes and do it again and maybe you'll get $50 bones. And of course an e-mail late and useless but discard that and you're up $50 simoleons.

tecate55 Oct 2, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 31582858)
Hotwire and Expedia are also absurd for flogging itineraries you have already booked, highly targeted marketing that completely misses the point.

The online Apple Store used to do this too except with telemarketers.

My favourite example of this "retargeting" (that's what it's called) is when I was putting together an Ebay listing for an item, so I went to a bigbox website and copy and pasted their specs.

For the next 2 weeks, I get the ad for it following me around the internet. But I didn't have 1 less than I needed, nor just the right amount: I had 1 *more* than I needed. The last thing I wanted to do was buy one.

ricktoronto Oct 4, 2019 8:13 pm

Cineplex sent me a solicitation today to see a movie that I bought a ticket for yesterday so they are maybe using the same vendor as WS.