Westjet Chinook Lounge YYC

Old Sep 4, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Westjet Chinook Lounge YYC

Very much first world problems, but...I travel for work between BC and Alberta weekly and have liked the fact that using the Chinook lounge I could have a hot meal on arrival. They have now changed their dinner hours to finish at 7pm (my flight arriving at 7:34pm). This pretty much nullifies the usefulness of the lounge. I'm wondering if this is a Westjet instigated change or is the lounge itself ran by a third-party, despite the recent takeover?
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I wasn’t a big fan of the food but I’m surprised it shuts down food service at 7 PM. I like the sandwiches from La Prep nearby - chicken sriracha being my favourite. Also Burger Federation opened recently. Honestly, I usually end up buying something rather eat in the lounge.

Last edited by jkordyback; Sep 5, 19 at 9:47 am
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This has easily been the worst lounge in Canada for 10 or so years. It just sucks. Plain and simple.
jkordyback, arf04 and Fiordland like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I can't be bothered to head in there.
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
This has easily been the worst lounge in Canada for 10 or so years. It just sucks. Plain and simple.
Yeah its never been great. But its nice to have the perk of free hot meals when you're a gold member. Kind of devalues it somewhat. Oh well, hopefully when the Westjet lounge proper opens it will have better dinner hours.
Old Sep 7, 19, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by wdb1987 View Post
Yeah its never been great. But its nice to have the perk of free hot meals when you're a gold member. Kind of devalues it somewhat. Oh well, hopefully when the Westjet lounge proper opens it will have better dinner hours.
Not so sure if operation has temporarily changed hands, or if it’s just WS staff now at the front, new on the scene. In the early days I found it mildly entertaining to see staff trying to notify several pax of their boarding status. I wondered how long it was going to last, and it seems to be gone now... it does go to show they’re just learning the ropes. (Although I would LOVE to have something more useful than I can see on the monitors or flightaware, etc)

More to the topic, I believe as WestJet bringeth more substantive hot “meals”, so doth they take away. It was silly to see it out till close - however I am a firm believer that they should have meals at reasonable times from incoming flight origins. Eg. A 7pm Vancouver dinner is pretty common, so 8pm (7pm Pacific) may be a touch more reasonable cutoff. Unless they improve the food quality and options much, it doesn’t particularly matter to me. I would highly encourage you to give every sort of feedback, email, surveys etc so they can dial it in. I suspect most would call the meals and drinks they have an improvement vs before WS. I expect whatever hours they settle on in Chinook will transfer over to the new lounge.

FWIW, AC DOM MLL’s typically yank the “food” around the same time.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by eracerblue View Post

Not so sure if operation has temporarily changed hands, or if it’s just WS staff now at the front, new on the scene. In the early days I found it mildly entertaining to see staff trying to notify several pax of their boarding status. I wondered how long it was going to last, and it seems to be gone now... it does go to show they’re just learning the ropes. (Although I would LOVE to have something more useful than I can see on the monitors or flightaware, etc)

More to the topic, I believe as WestJet bringeth more substantive hot “meals”, so doth they take away. It was silly to see it out till close - however I am a firm believer that they should have meals at reasonable times from incoming flight origins. Eg. A 7pm Vancouver dinner is pretty common, so 8pm (7pm Pacific) may be a touch more reasonable cutoff. Unless they improve the food quality and options much, it doesn’t particularly matter to me. I would highly encourage you to give every sort of feedback, email, surveys etc so they can dial it in. I suspect most would call the meals and drinks they have an improvement vs before WS. I expect whatever hours they settle on in Chinook will transfer over to the new lounge.

FWIW, AC DOM MLL’s typically yank the “food” around the same time.
From a food waste perspective yanking food is silly and ethically a problem. What they should do is stop restocking the items after a certain time and then pull the option once it is exhausted or no longer meeting quality standards.
eracerblue and wdb1987 like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What is the breakfast like in the Chinook Lounge these days? Is it worth it to go to the airport a bit early to have something to eat there? I haven’t been to that lounge during breakfast hours for a few years.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
For breakfast, the YYC lounges in US and International are pretty good. The Chinook in domestic, not so much. If I’m in domestic I usually get the avocado BLT from La Prep.

Last edited by jkordyback; Oct 10, 19 at 5:41 pm
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
What is the breakfast like in the Chinook Lounge these days? Is it worth it to go to the airport a bit early to have something to eat there? I haven’t been to that lounge during breakfast hours for a few years.
I only arrive in the evening after the dinner service ends
Old Oct 11, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
I decided to answer my own question. As a data point, the breakfast is basically the same as what would be on offer at Motel 6, Super 8, etc. Some basic bagels, breads, pastries, granola and cereals. Hot options were scrambled eggs from a carton, Turkey sausages and oatmeal.

As noted above, the Aspire lounge food selection in YYC is way better.

Search this Thread