Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet more interested in almighty $ than keeping family together

Old Sep 4, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Up until now Westjet has been my airline of choice over the ďother guysĒ. They have not really been much cheaper but have been more customer and family focused well at least up until now !!

We have booked a flight for later this month from Saskatoon to LA so that my wife and I can take our 8 year old grandson to Disneyland. I booked our flight on WJ as normal and even made sure to use my WJ Mastercard to pay for trip. The problem arose when I tried to get seats for the THREE of us together, not special seats or anything out of the ordinary. I was told that we can have one of us sit with him but for the second person we would need to book and pay for a seat selection in advance. Our trip has four legs to it so the pre-booking of this additional seat selection would cost over $ 200.00.

I realize they are in the business of making money but making us pay extra, just to sit together when one is an 8 year old child seems somewhat excessive. Yes I can pay the $ 200.00 to make this happen, or reserve my seat the 24 hours in advance and hope for the best but this is just a money grab that seems painful to me to do.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You booked a fare type that doesnít come with seat selection and are now annoyed that you have to pay for seat selection...

Theyíve already said the child would be seated next to one of the adults so thatís a red herring
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's no need for a second adult to sit next to a child, just a want. If it's not worth $200 to you, don't pay and sit wherever you're assigned--and please don't expect someone else (who probably has paid for a seat) to trade with you.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Easy solution - pay for your seats when you book. I always do that.
moondog, BearX220, MitchR and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:58 pm

I don't think AC handles this any differently: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

When you book your flight online, indicate that you are travelling with children, and we will assign generic seats in proximity to each other for you and your children within 48 hours after your ticket is issued.
If we are unable to seat one adult in close proximity to a child, you may contact Air Canada Reservations to change your booking to another flight on which we can provide proximity seating, or cancel your trip, all at no extra charge.
For the best choice in seats, it’s always better to select them when you book your flight. Note that a fee may apply when choosing your seats in advance. A fee may also apply if you decide to change the free standard seat assignment provided, or if you select Preferred Seats.
As other posters have mentioned, if you want specific seats, then there's no reason you shouldn't pay for them or select a fare that includes seat selection like anyone else. The airlines have made accommodations to ensure that children are not alone, but beyond that, nothing should be expected.
MitchR, 6rugrats, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I would concur with the previous posters in fact one could flip your statement in the thread that you might be more interested in the $$ than having the three of you sitting together. WS is just following the Fare rules...
MitchR, downinit, moondog and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: none
I think that the OP was expecting the kinder and gentler WestJet from the old days. They had built up such a good reputation that now people are shocked at how inflexible they have become. I had a WS phone agent waive seat selection fees back in 2013. That would not happen today.
MitchR and mhy like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
OP - you signed up to FT just to post this complaint you’ve already posted on TripAdvisor? You have over four pages of answers to that thread. Do you see a pattern in the responses? They are allowing an adult, at no charge, to sit next to the child. Pay the money if you all want to sit together.
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
OP - you signed up to FT just to post this complaint youíve already posted on TripAdvisor? You have over four pages of answers to that thread.
Actually, looking at the time stamps it looks to me that the OP poster here first (by 5 minutes). But yes the answers are the same and imo justifiably so. If I fly an airline on which I have no status I have the choice of pay for seat selection (which I donít) or taking my chances with the seat map at check in, or if thatís also charged for then taking my luck with getting what Iím given. I donít see why I should pay more for my ticket to accommodate people who want their cake and eat it (because if it were free selection for all then the fares would have to go up).
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:21 pm

Airlines shouldn't be charging extra for people on the same reservation to sit together.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Airlines shouldn't be charging extra for people on the same reservation to sit together.
What if the reservation has more, like 5 or 6?
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This is going to be a one-and-done. Donít waste the finger power responding. The OP only wants support for his rant. He isnít going to come back once he sees no one agrees.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
But yes, the Tripadvisor responses are pretty funny.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
I would concur with the previous posters in fact one could flip your statement in the thread that you might be more interested in the $$ than having the three of you sitting together. WS is just following the Fare rules...
CUSTOMER MORE INTERESTED IN THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR THAN SITTING WITH FAMILY
or
CUSTOMER BUYS TICKET WITHOUT SEAT SELECTION, WESTJET HONOURS PURCHASE
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:54 am

Iím sure we all know this isnít going to end here. The OP will bring the subject up at bag drop/check in, at the originating gate, with the originating Cabin Manager, with the originating Cabin Crew, at the next connection, and so on and so forth for his entire trip, unless someone caves and gives him what he wants. If that does happen, I wonder if he would update his posts here and on Trip Advisor.
nancypants and Vietguy like this.

Search this Thread