Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Seat selection vouchers can now be used for companions

Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

This was in an email just received as a Gold member.

”Effective August 28, 2019, you will be able to share your advance seat selection vouchers with your travel companions when they are travelling with you.”

Bravo WestJet! This was my biggest complaint with recent changes in the WestJet rewards program, and you’ve listened to your customers. Good on you!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Good! I wonder if I can use them retroactively, i.e. when I have booked and paid for seats on a flight not taken yet.

Interesting that I didn't get the email.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:28 pm
F 1

Silver members got the same email.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Good! I wonder if I can use them retroactively, i.e. when I have booked and paid for seats on a flight not taken yet.

Interesting that I didn't get the email.
Yes, you could just call in and get refunds for what you paid and redeem vouchers.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
However the fine print states that these seat selection vouchers are only good for basic, econo, and econoflex seats. If you're flying premium, your companion is out of luck!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
However the fine print states that these seat selection vouchers are only good for basic, econo, and econoflex seats. If you're flying premium, your companion is out of luck!
If you are flying premium, your companion gets a premium seat which is included in the fare.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Not sure I understand what you’re saying ... every Premium fare ticket, regardless of how purchased, includes free seat selection. You never have to pay (or use a voucher) to choose a seat in Premium.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Not sure I understand what you’re saying ... every Premium fare ticket, regardless of how purchased, includes free seat selection. You never have to pay (or use a voucher) to choose a seat in Premium.
Hmmm, looking at it that way, you're definitely correct! And likely how I got my companions seats in premium in the past. But why did they include econoflex fares in the fine print of these vouchers, when seat selection is included with these fares? So confusing!! LOL!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:27 pm

Hmmm, looking at it that way, you're definitely correct! And likely how I got my companions seats in premium in the past. But why did they include econoflex fares in the fine print of these vouchers, when seat selection is included with these fares? So confusing!! LOL!
Econoflex includes a regular seat. If you would like to sit in a preferred seat or exit row seat, additional fees would apply. You would be able to use seat vouchers to waive the extra fees for the better seats.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:27 pm
F 1

Mrs F1 and I are booked in bulkhead seats for an upcoming overseas itinerary. My fear is if I attempt to refund her fee and apply a voucher, Westjet IT might fail me and I'll lose her seat assignment completely during the process. Is that warranted do you think?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by F 1
Mrs F1 and I are booked in bulkhead seats for an upcoming overseas itinerary. My fear is if I attempt to refund her fee and apply a voucher, Westjet IT might fail me and I'll lose her seat assignment completely during the process. Is that warranted do you think?
I have little confidence in WS or any airlines software team to handle such a case correctly.
smallmj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I have little confidence in WS or any airlines software team to handle such a case correctly.
Agreed. I would call in to do it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:54 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by wzzy22
Agreed. I would call in to do it.
See, I don't even have confidence I'd even be able to do it over the phone. The moment the agent takes the seat away from my wife, I can only hear his/her voice telling me they can't get the seat back after applying the voucher "for some reason".

Waiting for someone else to try this out first and confirming it was done hassle free before giving it a try.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:56 pm
F 1

Bump. I selected a seat in Economy and applied a voucher. I subsequently won a bid up to premium. If I call in and ask, will WS cancel my economy seat selection and return the voucher to my account?

-Edit- Called in and asked and, as suspected, was unsuccessful due to the upgrade.

Last edited by F 1; Oct 7, 2019 at 12:07 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.