Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Earning DL miles on WJ Dollar Paid Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond

I used Westjet Dollars to pay for YVR-YYC-LGA-ORF-ATL-YYC-YVR (paid entire fare except for taxes etc). US domestic segments on DL. Can I earn DL miles on all of the flights or will the use of Westjet dollars cause it to be non earning? The booking class earns on DL. I assume the flights earn nothing on Westjet. I have no status on WJ.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by tobegold
...............or will the use of Westjet dollars cause it to be non earning?
Correct. Non earning.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:58 am

Last time I dealt with this, customer service said it would be non-earning since it was paid for entirely with WestJet Dollars.
That being said, I'm interested in the following assumption. If I paid at least $1 of the base fare with cash, it would become eligible to earn WestJet Dollars (I'd earn on the $1 I paid). Would I then be eligible to earn Delta SkyMiles on the entire ticket since it's now eligible for earning?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zappy312
Last time I dealt with this, customer service said it would be non-earning since it was paid for entirely with WestJet Dollars.
That being said, I'm interested in the following assumption. If I paid at least $1 of the base fare with cash, it would become eligible to earn WestJet Dollars (I'd earn on the $1 I paid). Would I then be eligible to earn Delta SkyMiles on the entire ticket since it's now eligible for earning?
Wouldn't it be dependent on the fare basis of the WS flight? If using WestJet Dollars puts you in a non-earning fare bucket, my guess is no good.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Wouldn't it be dependent on the fare basis of the WS flight? If using WestJet Dollars puts you in a non-earning fare bucket, my guess is no good.
It was a fare category normally eligible for earning (ie. Not member exclusive or basic).

​​​But your answer makes sense, it's just weird how it wouldn't earn WestJet Dollars but could earn SkyPesos or anything else as long as some was paid by cash.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Any updates? What if I paid only $50 of the fare with WSD, can I still earn DL SkyMiles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.