Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swoop cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by cedric
You may be prepared to cover the potential cost of that in your ticket, but most low-fare customers would rather have a lower fare.
... until something goes wrong, whereupon they scream blue murder. They never think about that possibility, nor do they seem to realize that if they have 200 aircraft and one goes down the airline has a small problem. If they have 10 aircraft and one goes down the customer has a big problem.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
The reason for Swoop existing and the reason why it is totally separate from an operations and booking system are quite different from Zips reason to exist.

Swoop for WestJet will have to exist as long as there is a ULCC market in Canada, if it is rolled into mainline it can't compete from a cost perspective, so that market will end up being handed to the remaining ULCCs. If it is just shut down, the ULCCs will just assume the demand anyway.

It is very much a defensive operation to spread the ULCC fulfilment across multiple players so that no single player can be too dominant and start eating into the bottom end of the mainline market beyond just the ULCC one. In some ways AC and Transat benefit from Swoop existing, as they don't have products that compete in the ULCC space, but if a ULCC competitor similar in size to Spirit emerged in Canada to dominate the ULCC market and expand into the whole economy traveller space, then that would certainly impact their low-end fares and affect overall profitability.
I though the main purpose of Swoop was to have an airline that can be used to discourage institution investment in startup ULCC. The threat of an airline that can go head to head with upstart ULCC is critical. Yes, Air Canada benefits just as much as WS.

That said, Swoop staff in IROP should be able to buy seats on WS to accommodate passangers with little impact to the bottom line even if Swoop is paying full Y fares it is doing so to its parent.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:25 pm

Yes, dissuading investment in other ULCCs was definitely one of the objectives.

Swoop will not get IROP recovery from WS for free, they have to meet their cost targets, it may be more cost effective to charter elsewhere in some circumstances or find other recovery options. They will always do the absolute legal minimum, otherwise they won’t be able to hit the CAD$0.07 CASM (ex-fuel).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Swoop will not get IROP recovery from WS for free, they have to meet their cost targets,......, otherwise they won’t be able to hit the CAD$0.07 CASM (ex-fuel).
This is internal money.

.... it may be more cost effective to charter elsewhere in some circumstances or find other recovery options.
This is money leaving the WS group.
Swoop may meet cost targets chartering elsewhere, but the overall group suffers.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by tracon
This is internal money.

Swoop may meet cost targets chartering elsewhere, but the overall group suffers.
Absolutely true, but when humans have their own books to report they tend to get tunnel vision. I've seen this in many other businesses where the subsidiaries only think of themselves and their targets rather than what's good for the whole. It's just human nature. This will never change unless the performance metrics change.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by tracon
This is internal money.

If using a spare aircraft subsequently affects mainline's ability to recover from an IROP due to Swoop using that aircraft, WestJet from a brand perspective will have a better recovery "promise" than Swoop and will incur higher recovery costs. The affect on the company as a whole financially may be better if Swoop finds a recovery option externally, or more likely as a ULCC will only exactly meet their tariff requirements from a legal perspective, nothing more.

In the recent Swoop cancellations due to one aircraft being out of service for routine maintenance and a second aircraft requiring an unscheduled engine rebuild due to a failed oil seal, WestJet could not affect it's own flying schedule by finding a spare for Swoop, it would have affected their operations too much. Swoop also wasn't able to find an external charter either at the right terms or from a pure availability perspective, so they elected to recover passengers in a piecemeal fashion.

Swoop has fiscal freedom in their operations and doesn't have to use WestJet resources if they can find solutions elsewhere more cheaply, the way they budget (from my experience before I retired from WestJet) is that WestJet offers a service at their economic cost with no markup, Swoop can take it, provide the service themselves or select elsewhere if they can get it cheaper. If you look at just the IT side that I'm most familiar with, Swoop takes about 10% of their services for systems such as maintenance and IFEC from WestJet, operates about 40% of services such as crew management and analytics themselves in a commodity cloud environment and uses different external suppliers than WestJet for services such as reservation and departure control.

If you try to operate a ULCC using services designed for another airline operating model, those services will be operated at a loss in most cases, the fallacy that you can expand into profit through volume has caused most airlines within airlines to fail in the past. It may look stupid from the outside to not use the services of a parent company when they are available, but each service case (including IROP recovery) has to be ruthlessly evaluated on the impact to the company as a whole.

Losing a few customers due to bad press is built into the ULCC business model, price is the only selling feature, any customer service is only a consequence of providing the absolute minimum service at the lowest price. Bearing in mind Swoop has flown over one million customers so far and even with the 23 cancellations this month, they have still averaged over 98% completion, so have IROPed less than 20,000 people. Most months this year they have cancelled around 10 of 1,000 flights, in July it will be around 30 I expect. Seasoned ULCC customers have contingency plans if their flight doesn't happen and know that most of the time they will successfully arrive for a low price, others don't know what they are getting and will never fly them again. Ryanair wrote the book on this, Swoop is following that book very well, most ULCC failures have crumbled under the negative "customer service" strain due to not following the pure model and subsequently not being profitable.

My advise to frequent fliers is that ULCCs are probably not for you, they meet a different market requirement from what most will expect.
Symmetre, Frequentlander and 5mm like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I see a-lot of Frequent Flyers on Easyjet, in fact they have a FF program.
I really appreciate the up-front option/speedy boarding for a few more euros on your fare.
In the line up to board I've seen many with FF tags etc.
But I realize ULCC in Europe is a different market than in Canada...
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
I see a-lot of Frequent Flyers on Easyjet, in fact they have a FF program.
I really appreciate the up-front option/speedy boarding for a few more euros on your fare.
In the line up to board I've seen many with FF tags etc.
But I realize ULCC in Europe is a different market than in Canada...
Easyjet has never been a ULCC, it came from the LCC mould, although they do compete with Ryanair in many markets. It has always flown into more mainstream airports and had some added frills (such as the current ability to use Gatwick Connect with WestJet). Although they are theoretically a point-to-point airline with no connections (a ULCC hallmark), they do offer connecting services after a fashion with the ability to buy multiple segments in the same purchase. It's prices are generally higher than Ryanair, but so is it's convenience and service level.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Easyjet has never been a ULCC, it came from the LCC mould, although they do compete with Ryanair in many markets. It has always flown into more mainstream airports and had some added frills (such as the current ability to use Gatwick Connect with WestJet). Although they are theoretically a point-to-point airline with no connections (a ULCC hallmark), they do offer connecting services after a fashion with the ability to buy multiple segments in the same purchase. It's prices are generally higher than Ryanair, but so is it's convenience and service level.
Oh OK, I won't disagree with you...their fares are dirt cheap so I assumed they fit the ULCC
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
What contingency plan would a Swoop customer need to make? "Boss, my flight just got canceled, they are telling me that the earliest they can get me home is 7 days from now. Can you cover for me?" Buying a cheap ticket does not mean all of a sudden you can take another week of unplanned vacation. Even the once a year leisure traveller has obligations back home.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
What contingency plan would a Swoop customer need to make? "Boss, my flight just got canceled, they are telling me that the earliest they can get me home is 7 days from now. Can you cover for me?" Buying a cheap ticket does not mean all of a sudden you can take another week of unplanned vacation. Even the once a year leisure traveller has obligations back home.
The plan is to know it's the ULCC model and you've recourse to next to nothing when things go arse over teakettle and then buy a ticket on a proper carrier from day one. $50 or whatever isn't a practical savings for zero peace of mind.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Some options:
- For critical trips don’t use an ULCC.
- Pay with a credit card that covers travel disruption, if your flight is disrupted, rebook on another carrier and claim back against the credit card.
- Buy travel insurance and claim for disruption if it happens.
- Treat the cheap ULCC ticket the same as if you are on standby.
- Have enough flexibility in your plans to deal with a disruption.

All these options are also valid with non-ULCC flights, but your expectation of getting somewhere on time should be less with a ULCC. I would never book a flight in winter to get to a cruise without a day or two of buffer if you have to fly from or through anywhere were snow is likely, no matter whether it is on a ULCC or not, if you definitely want to make the cruise.

Bear in mind that the with any airline at any time of the year the probability of a cancellation is still a single digit percentage. Swoop had the following cancellation and on time results (arrive within 15 mins of schedule) quoted by OAG (oag.com) over the past 3 months (knowing that the cancellations will be several % for July when the figures are published):

Apr - 1.3% / 66.9%
May - 0.8% / 72.3%
Jun - 1.3% / 65.6%
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This is getting somewhat comical as who really has the flexibility to plan for a week-long delay in the fulfillment of their travel for even "non-critical" travel? If Swoop temps me to Vegas with its ultra low pricing it's my fault for expecting them to get me to & from my destination in a reasonable amount of time? Delays and cancellations are to be expected and I think if asked most flyers would accept both as possibilities a fraction of the time however would venture few if any think a week-long delay to be reasonable regardless of the fare paid.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
This is getting somewhat comical as who really has the flexibility to plan for a week-long delay in the fulfillment of their travel for even "non-critical" travel? If Swoop temps me to Vegas with its ultra low pricing it's my fault for expecting them to get me to & from my destination in a reasonable amount of time? Delays and cancellations are to be expected and I think if asked most flyers would accept both as possibilities a fraction of the time however would venture few if any think a week-long delay to be reasonable regardless of the fare paid.
Assuming Canadian regulations in time gravitate towards EU261 regulations, what will typically happen with ULCCs in the case of an IROP is that anyone who has not started their journey will have their itinerary cancelled and the appropriate refund and compensation paid (freeing up capacity in some cases) IROP recovery will then only happen on those who are mid-journey (I.e., not returned home as ULCCs only fly point-to-point with no connecting flights).

Canadians who want low prices just have to get used to the ULCC differences and work within the limitations. Flights scheduled 7 days later due to a cancellation for a tiny fraction of those travelling may just morph into a refund +25% under the new passenger bill of rights for those who have not started their journey, instead
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:00 pm

Assuming Canadian regulations in time gravitate towards EU261 regulations, what will typically happen with ULCCs in the case of an IROP is that anyone who has not started their journey will have their itinerary cancelled and the appropriate refund and compensation paid (freeing up capacity in some cases) IROP recovery will then only happen on those who are mid-journey (I.e., not returned home as ULCCs only fly point-to-point with no connecting flights).

Canadians who want low prices just have to get used to the ULCC differences and work within the limitations. Flights scheduled 7 days later due to a cancellation for a tiny fraction of those travelling may just morph into a refund +25% under the new passenger bill of rights for those who have not started their journey, instead
So are you saying, in a nutshell, if you want(need) to get somewhere forget Swoop because you didn't pay enough for your fare..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.