FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Article: Encore Q400s could take over these Delta routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1976631-article-encore-q400s-could-take-over-these-delta-routes.html)

FlyerJ Jul 3, 2019 10:39 am

Article: Encore Q400s could take over these Delta routes

Here’s the full article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/westje...tes-to-canada/

The important bits:

Delta Air Lines regional jets could soon step aside on some routes to Canada if the carrier’s proposed partnership with WestJet gets a green light.

“On certain other transborder routes, particularly in smaller short-haul markets, the partners could replace Delta’s regional jets with WestJet’s more efficient Q400 aircraft, which would maintain sustainable service in otherwise unprofitable markets,” they say in a joint filing with the US Department of Transportation on July 2.
And the author’s speculation:

Potential routes that Delta could shift to WestJet-operated Dash 8s are:
  • Cincinnati (CVG) – Toronto, 413 miles
  • Detroit (DTW) – Montreal (YUL), 529 miles
  • Detroit – Ottawa (YOW), 439 miles
  • Detroit – Toronto, 214 miles
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) – Toronto, 679 miles
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul – Winnipeg (YWG), 394 miles
  • New York JFK – Montreal, 333 miles
  • New York JFK – Toronto, 366 miles
  • New York LaGuardia (LGA) – Halifax (YHZ), 597 miles
  • New York LaGuardia – Montreal, 323 miles
  • New York LaGuardia – Ottawa, 326 miles
  • Seattle (SEA) – Calgary (YYC), 452 miles
  • Seattle – Vancouver (YVR), 127 miles

WesternCDN Jul 3, 2019 2:38 pm

Not too surprised by this, especially YVR-SEA. Always seemed like overkill to use an E170/75 on a 30 minute flight. Wonder if the JV could see WS start YYJ-SEA? Since DL is dropping it after the summer.

calgaryhhr Jul 3, 2019 5:14 pm

Sounds great but where is Westjet going to find the aircrafts for these routes? I believe that the existing fleet is already at a pretty high utilization and expansion isn't really a possibility without reductions to existing routes.

YYCguy Jul 3, 2019 5:43 pm

How many Qs are currently in WR’s fleet and are there more deliveries coming?

Frequentlander Jul 3, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy (Post 31267120)
How many Qs are currently in WR’s fleet and are there more deliveries coming?

My understanding is 47 and no but I may well be wrong.

mxqisit Jul 3, 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 31267161)
47 and no

Wikipedia agrees with you.

YYCguy Jul 3, 2019 10:30 pm

I’m surprised that, with growth opportunities on the horizon, fleet expansion is not being contemplated!

Frequentlander Jul 4, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy (Post 31267799)

I’m surprised that, with growth opportunities on the horizon, fleet expansion is not being contemplated!

Maybe it is. There is no way of telling what being contemplated.

YXUFlyboy Jul 4, 2019 7:39 am

The Q400 fleet is fully deployed. I don't see any jet service being taken over by WestJet's DH4s unless the route is more profitable than their current operations. That's a downgauge. And we most certainly won't see anything until the MAX flies again.

YXUFlyboy Jul 4, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr (Post 31267047)
Sounds great but where is Westjet going to find the aircrafts for these routes? I believe that the existing fleet is already at a pretty high utilization and expansion isn't really a possibility without reductions to existing routes.

Yup. This is speculation, WS doesn't have the frames. And why would DL operate these routes if their were unprofitable? And why would WS expand in YUL when they don't even have a year round service between YUL and YVR (their smallest hub)?

tecate55 Jul 4, 2019 12:19 pm

Onex does own an aircraft lessor. Maybe they’re expecting a big return/delivery of aircraft and figure they’re better off if they can use them internally?

FlyerJ Jul 4, 2019 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 31268812)
Yup. This is speculation, WS doesn't have the frames. And why would DL operate these routes if their were unprofitable?

100% true ... but the quote about DL shorthaul cross- border potentially moving to WS Q400s came from (according to the article) the joint DL/WS filing that they made with the US DOT on Tuesday.

Still, that doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen. More like they’ve asked permission in case they want it to happen.

Regardless, the list of potential routes that the author included in the article is unfeasible. One or two of those routes could flip over with the current fleet — but certainly not all.

Error 601 Jul 5, 2019 12:20 am

Is a lack of planes or pilots a greater impediment to Encores growth?

The Lev Jul 5, 2019 6:14 pm

There isn't a big backlog of orders for new Q400's, so WS could get them from Bombardier/Viking relatively quickly. I supsect thy'd also be able to pick some up on the used/lease market.

YXUFlyboy Jul 5, 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 31273658)
There isn't a big backlog of orders for new Q400's, so WS could get them from Bombardier/Viking relatively quickly. I supsect thy'd also be able to pick some up on the used/lease market.

There's a lot of used ones, but WS has all NextGen and may not want to muck with their fleet. I would much prefer them to invest in 70-90 seat jet, though.