Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Article: Encore Q400s could take over these Delta routes

Article: Encore Q400s could take over these Delta routes

Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
There's a lot of used ones, but WS has all NextGen and may not want to muck with their fleet. I would much prefer them to invest in 70-90 seat jet, though.
I believe that the new Bombadier C/Airbus A220 should be added. It would be a much better aircraft and provide more capacity for routes like Calgary-Yellowknife or Calgary-Brandon, Toronto-Ottawa/Montreal etc.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AC 35k
The A220-300 competes with the Boeing 737-7 (MAX) which WS has on order. Too large. I’m thinking EJets.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:47 pm

The A220-300 competes with the Boeing 737-7 (MAX) which WS has on order. Too large. I’m thinking EJets.
I was thinking the smaller A220-100 which I think can be configured between 95 and 110 passengers.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If I remember correctly Delta's A220 order is more or less split evenly between the 100 and 300 series (I think it's about 40 - 45 frames of each). I expect we will see both versions used on different transborder routes, it's a good size for many of DL's existing transborder flights.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
The issue is why does WS want the Boeing 737-7 (MAX). An aircraft that has had very few sales and the rest of the world (other than Southwest) has passed on.

I have a feeling Boeing going to be in a "lets make a deal" mode. Take those deposits and move them over to a 787.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The issue is why does WS want the Boeing 737-7 (MAX). An aircraft that has had very few sales and the rest of the world (other than Southwest) has passed on.

I have a feeling Boeing going to be in a "lets make a deal" mode. Take those deposits and move them over to a 787.
The main reasons to have the MAX 7 are:

- Range that is 560km further than the MAX 8 & 9 and 1,120km further than the MAX 10.
- Lower landing fees at many airports.
- Better runway performance (shorter take-off and landing for the same number of passengers as on any other MAX variant), allowing operation into airports other variants can't operate into.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
The main reasons to have the MAX 7 are:

- Range that is 560km further than the MAX 8 & 9 and 1,120km further than the MAX 10.
- Lower landing fees at many airports.
- Better runway performance (shorter take-off and landing for the same number of passengers as on any other MAX variant), allowing operation into airports other variants can't operate into.
In comparison to a more mainstream aircraft such as the C-series (A220)? The MAX 7 is far from popular.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
In comparison to a more mainstream aircraft such as the C-series (A220)? The MAX 7 is far from popular.
For WestJet and Southwest as it expands beyond the continental US, the MAX 7 will fulfil a role that both the other MAXs and the C-Series can’t fulfill due to range and runway limitations, they would need to go to the A321neo or the LR to get a greater range, but they would serve different narrow body markets due to the significantly higher seating capacity.

I can’t see Southwest not staying with Boeing and WestJet will need to change it’s business model somewhat around niche narrow body markets such as serving some Caribbean destinations with short runways or smaller Canada to Europe or Hawaii routes too small for the 787 but too far for the MAX 8 or 10 at full capacity, such as YYZ-LIS, YHZ-FCO or YWG-OGG.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
A Delta Connection E175 (flown on SEA-YVR, for example) is so much more comfortable than an Encore Dash 8... For one, the seat pitch on the 175 is 34 inches in C+ with a width over 18 inches, whereas the Dash 8 is 30" and 17", respectively. Feels like the CRJ-200 sardine can all over again, except now with propellers. Delta will need to be very careful to not lose their elite customers on these routes. Also, Westjet and Delta will need to integrate their elite benefits much better before they contemplate this: reciprocal baggage allowance, seat selection, on-line check in, etc. Right now there is hardly any coordination between them, and there is hardly a better way for Delta to lose elite customers than to nickle-and-dime them in a Westjet way, where DL elite status is not generally recognized.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by PHXflier
A Delta Connection E175 (flown on SEA-YVR, for example) is so much more comfortable than an Encore Dash 8... For one, the seat pitch on the 175 is 34 inches in C+ with a width over 18 inches, whereas the Dash 8 is 30" and 17", respectively. Feels like the CRJ-200 sardine can all over again, except now with propellers. Delta will need to be very careful to not lose their elite customers on these routes. Also, Westjet and Delta will need to integrate their elite benefits much better before they contemplate this: reciprocal baggage allowance, seat selection, on-line check in, etc. Right now there is hardly any coordination between them, and there is hardly a better way for Delta to lose elite customers than to nickle-and-dime them in a Westjet way, where DL elite status is not generally recognized.
Most of the routes from Toronto is busy enough to have mainline planes. I don't see Delta giving them up any time soon. I would definitely consider flying someone else if I have to take a Q400 for my first leg every week.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I am not sure how these partnerships work, but if Delta would consider replacing it's flights with Westjet flights, would the reverse not be happening with some Westjet flights replaced with Delta flights that would free up capacity for these Q400 planes?

I am very interested to see how this all plays out.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
I am not sure how these partnerships work, but if Delta would consider replacing it's flights with Westjet flights, would the reverse not be happening with some Westjet flights replaced with Delta flights that would free up capacity for these Q400 planes?

I am very interested to see how this all plays out.
I could conceivably see Westjet cutting some of their network frequency to Florida by shifting passengers to Atlanta via Delta. Free up some 737s for other routes.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I would definitely consider flying someone else if I have to take a Q400 for my first leg every week.
This. First and last flight on the Q400 for me was this week. Added a connection to avoid this plane on the route home.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I could conceivably see Westjet cutting some of their network frequency to Florida by shifting passengers to Atlanta via Delta. Free up some 737s for other routes.
Not with Rouge breathing down their neck.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Originally Posted by Error 601
Not with Rouge breathing down their neck.
I'd be very disappointed to see WS direct flights to Florida replaced with DL flights which will inevitably require a connection through ATL. I can do that now, and avoid it as much as possible.

Similarly, I'd be equally disappointed if Rogue became the only non-stop choice to Florida.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.