Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Making changes to member exclusive bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Gold, Bonvoy Silver

Does anyone know if member exclusive bookings can be changed after booking? In particular I'm looking to change the first segment on WestJet metal to a later WS flight without changing the second segment connecting to Air France.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Member exclusive bookings cannot be changed. You can cancel and rebook if the member exclusive fares are still available for purchasing today (subject to cancellation fees).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Gold, Bonvoy Silver
Thanks. What about same-day airport changes to a later flight?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
You would be able to do that on a regular member exclusive booking (all WS metal), but I don't know if you can do it on an interline member exclusive or not. I assume you had booked on Canada A to Canada B on WS on the same ticket connecting Canada B to Air France destination on AF? Do you have WS status? If so, call the Gold or Platinum line to find out for sure.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'm considering confirming a Member Exclusive fare within Canada in Aug.on WS-operated flights but given the unpredictability of C-19 virus wondered about the flexibility of these fares so had some questions.

If Member Exclusive fares cannot be changed does that mean they are essentially Basic fares?

Can I cancel if I don't feel comfortable travelling and redeposit the WestJet Dollars back into my account? Is this is possible is there any deadline to do this i.e. up to 7-days prior to departure?

If I cancel would the tax paid be refundable?

Seats may be assigned at time of booking on Member Exclusive fares, correct?

I tried asking WS my questions however hold times are 3+ hours so since it's not urgent thought I would ask the experts on this forum for some insights.Thanks for any input.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:45 am

I can partially answer your question. All fares are currently under the 0 cancellation fee policy up to 2 hours before departure. However, you'll get the funds (both WSD and surcharges paid in cash) back as Travel Bank as part of the same policy. Did this myself recently for a flight that wasn't cancelled, but would have been a "trip in vain".
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm considering confirming a Member Exclusive fare within Canada in Aug.on WS-operated flights but given the unpredictability of C-19 virus wondered about the flexibility of these fares so had some questions.

If Member Exclusive fares cannot be changed does that mean they are essentially Basic fares?

Can I cancel if I don't feel comfortable travelling and redeposit the WestJet Dollars back into my account? Is this is possible is there any deadline to do this i.e. up to 7-days prior to departure?

If I cancel would the tax paid be refundable?

Seats may be assigned at time of booking on Member Exclusive fares, correct?

I tried asking WS my questions however hold times are 3+ hours so since it's not urgent thought I would ask the experts on this forum for some insights.Thanks for any input.
1. IMO they're better than Basic since you can cancel for a fee. And when you cancel, you can rebook which makes it closer to Econo.

2. Yes, they can redeposit the WestJet Dollars. The deadline is whatever rules apply as part of the waiver, I think 24 hours before the flight. Otherwise I think the normal fee applies between T-24 and T-2.

3. Tax is refundable to Travel Bank, not cash.

4. Seats can be assigned at time of booking for a fee or check-in for no charge (unless you want an upgrade to Business or Premium.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I can partially answer your question. All fares are currently under the 0 cancellation fee policy up to 2 hours before departure. However, you'll get the funds (both WSD and surcharges paid in cash) back as Travel Bank as part of the same policy. Did this myself recently for a flight that wasn't cancelled, but would have been a "trip in vain".
Originally Posted by zappy312
1. IMO they're better than Basic since you can cancel for a fee. And when you cancel, you can rebook which makes it closer to Econo.

2. Yes, they can redeposit the WestJet Dollars. The deadline is whatever rules apply as part of the waiver, I think 24 hours before the flight. Otherwise I think the normal fee applies between T-24 and T-2.

3. Tax is refundable to Travel Bank, not cash.

4. Seats can be assigned at time of booking for a fee or check-in for no charge (unless you want an upgrade to Business or Premium.
Great! Thanks for the answers to you both.

I may confirm the Summer escape if the flexibility if good and if plans or local restrictions change closer in make changes.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
The problem with making changes to Member Exclusive fares is the replacement flight also has to be bookable as a Member Exclusive. If the inventory isn't available you can't change it at any price.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
The problem with making changes to Member Exclusive fares is the replacement flight also has to be bookable as a Member Exclusive. If the inventory isn't available you can't change it at any price.
It wasn't so much the flexibility of my changing flights as much as having the ability to cancel and redeposit the WestJet Dollars if the COVID situation within the country prevented me from traveling as confirmed in Jul. or Aug.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

First post here, but I've been reading the forum over the past number of weeks.

A few months ago, we booked a member-exclusive flight that's scheduled to fly out from Ontario (London) to British Columbia (Abbotsford). Originally it was a shorter duration flight with a brief 90-minute stop-over in Calgary. With the recent service changes for the month of June, the London to Calgary leg was dropped, so we got rescheduled on a 22-hour journey that included going through Toronto and then spending a night in Calgary (14-hour layover). Generally not an option, especially since Westjet was not going to provide a hotel room.

Through my discussions with Westjet through Facebook Messenger, they actually agreed to change the departure airport, the arrival airport and trip date as I found a better flight that would work better for us and requested it specifically. We're planning to fly out of Hamilton via Calgary and then onwards to Vancouver. Originally they wanted me to call their call centre, which I balked at (10 hour wait time plus they only want people calling within 72 hours of their flight), and in the end, they agreed to change our booking.

Now, we were able to do this mostly because they changed our original flights, but I was also informed that I still am able to cancel or change my flights as long as it's related to COVID-19, which would go into a travel bank.

Send them a message via Facebook Messenger and see what they can do for you. Lately, I've found they're able to do just about anything and you don't need to wait on hold. Send them a message, and they should get back to you within an hour or so.
tcook052 and YYCCL3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.