Upgrade bidding: Winning bids

Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:40 pm
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YVR
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by sdophoto
So it seems as if bidding before might not be the most successful- instead wait?
Unfortunately not quite as straightforward as I had initially believed.
My last flight a couple days ago, LGA-YYZ, plenty of seats open.
Plusgrade suggested bid $60, min $45 (C$, incl. tax).
Upgrade offer at checkin $41.50 (U$, plus tax).

So possibly for flights departing Canadian cities, may be better to wait for T-24. For flights leaving from other locales, YMMV.
Speedbird84 is online now  
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:17 am
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26
Will the price Im seeing to upgrade each segment change as OLCI time approaches? I am months away at this point so wondering if I should keep checking or wait til OLCI T-48 and cross fingers that its lower then. The current offer price is not tempting.
kluv2cruz is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:34 am
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,055
Accepting offers between $1170-$1520.
Or I could have just paid the $500 spread at time of booking.
tracon is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:11 pm
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 3,283

Plusgrade: $310 to $380 for each leg, $310 plus your base fare would in any circumstance be more expensive than just booking Premium to begin with on that route.

At Check-in $150CAD Southbound and $110USD Northbound. There were empty seats in Premium at departure in both directions.

Plusgrade on Air Canada is just as asinine relative to every other paid upgrade opportunity.
Error 601 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:38 pm
Join Date: May 2022
Location: YHZ
Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by precielous
T-3 1/3 months
Bid scale min $225 max $405
Currently put $235. Leaning towards going back to min if OLCI upgrade cost is likely lower than the minimum bid.

Last year, the YYCYHZ one got accepted with minimum bid $245.
Does anyone know how much the OLCI Y → PM upgrade costs for YHZ↔︎YYC?
Well, the bid is no more! My original YHZYYC flight got cancelled (but sigh, WestJet didn't bother informing me of this. No email, nothing. I found out about this because I happened to be looking up the fare information for that flight in EF to assess the likeliness of my bid clearing!! WestJet please.)
So I only had to pay for the fare difference. I ended up taking advantage of the 27% sale promo, and changed into Premium. The promotional Premium fare was less than the previous Economy fare + minimum bid amount, so it was no-brainer to grab it while it's there!
precielous is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:29 pm
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 21
bid: $410
Not accepted

bid: $410
Not accepted
Flybye360 is offline  
Old May 1, 2023, 9:48 pm
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR, HKG
Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Posts: 108
EF shows J1 but my ITR has 2 pax..
Invited and allowed me to bid for 2 J seats
submitted a minimum+10$ bid for 2x J
Is it normal for plusgrade to allow bids on inventory that doesn't exist? Especially if confirmed accepted offers are to be sent out T-73???
jwongathon is offline  
Old May 2, 2023, 2:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,949
Minimum bid was $350
Check in was $220 BUT was in USD not sure why, maybe to trick someone into thinking it was a lower price?
smilee is offline  
Old May 12, 2023, 4:15 pm
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YYC
Programs: A3, AC
Posts: 140
Min Bid $40
cyralax is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 8:34 am
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: P.E.C., ON
Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Posts: 561
Minimum Bid $280 accepted
Hope the flight isn't cancelled!
CarNut is offline  
Old May 17, 2023, 2:34 pm
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA, NZ
Posts: 44
Question here rather than a bid success - hope OK to post.

I see mention of upgrading at OLCI. Is there a particular place this will come up in the OLCI flow, and are the costs published in advance? Do all pax see the options or is it selective?
DavidTNZ is offline  
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:04 am
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
We have a 14 hour layover for our flight. Anyone know if we can buy upgrade for the 2nd leg when we check-in?
We're taking our chances on waiting until check-in because there the offer isn't great and the flight is short enough that we're fine with what we have even if we end up sitting apart.
chocolatefan is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:30 am
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 2
Does anyone who had a bid accepted know if they will accept it earlier than the 72-hour before departure? I've never done the bidding before and my flight is isn't until July. I'm wondering if they always make you wait or if they might accept it sooner if my bid was a little higher and for two people. Tyia.
jrh22aol is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,865
Originally Posted by jrh22aol
Does anyone who had a bid accepted know if they will accept it earlier than the 72-hour before departure? I've never done the bidding before and my flight is isn't until July. I'm wondering if they always make you wait or if they might accept it sooner if my bid was a little higher and for two people. Tyia.
Seemingly yes. Made an offer that was accepted on a Monday morning for a flight on a Saturday (so very slightly more than 120 hrs). Only caveat was that it was a very short flight where no reasonable person would pay to UG. I only did it to test if I would get more elite qualification than otherwise (answer was no). Cheap lesson though. $15 YYJ-YLW. Only one other pax in the DH8-400 cabin.
Da_Master likes this.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:54 am
formerly airedalemom
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Posts: 264
Wrong amount in email ?

I put an offer for 2 pax for upgrade of $205
it shows
$195 CAD per Guest (2) total $205

the confirmation email said $205 grand total??

so now Im just wondering if accepted will we both be upgraded ?

all previous offers Ive made were correctly calculated

has this happened to others?

is it a blip?

Queen B is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.