Upgrade bidding: Winning bids

Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Originally booked the YHZ-LGW non-stop flight (WS 24, 737 MAX 8) Premium cabin, but WestJet decided to cancel that route, and re-booked me with the YHZ-YYZ-LGW route instead.
I got Premium seats for both legs, and I put the Premium > Business upgrade offer for the YYZ-LGW leg (787-9 Dreamliner). min $370, max $670.
For now, I put the max $ because it turns out that the YHZ-LGW Premium fare + max bid is less than the Premium cabin price for the new YHZ-YYZ-LGW route as of writing this post. (T-3 months)
Will report the results a few months later down the road.

Last edited by precielous; Jul 13, 2022 at 9:00 am Reason: oops, typo
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by precielous
Originally booked the YHZ-LGW non-stop flight (WS 24, 737 MAX 8) Premium cabin, but WestJet decided to cancel that route, and re-booked me with the YHZ-YYZ-LGW route instead.
I got Premium seats for both legs, and I put the Premium > Business upgrade offer for the YYZ-LGW leg (787-9 Dreamliner). min $370, max $670.
For now, I put the max $ because it turns out that the YHZ-LGW Premium fare + max bid is less than the Premium cabin price for the new YHZ-YYZ-LGW route as of writing this post. (T-3 months)
Will report the results a few months later down the road.
So how did it go?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:55 pm

The min bid for YYC-JFK is bonkers.

Suggested is $630, min is $530, $25 less than the min bid for Premium on YYC-LHR. Especially considering someone can book straight into Premium on YYC-JFK for $746
Da_Master likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Plusgrade on all airlines is a mystery to me, it never makes sense relative to upgrade at check-in and often doesn't make sense relative to just booking minimum J to begin with.

I can only assume that it is a pure commission business model, costs nothing for airlines to offer and if someone goes for it, that is just great but they don't really care either way.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
From what I've read in this thread, you can only offer bids to upgrade one level (i.e. Economy to Premium; Premium to Business)

If you got Economy, is there a system to bid for a two-level upgrade (Business)?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
From what I've read in this thread, you can only offer bids to upgrade one level (i.e. Economy to Premium; Premium to Business)

If you got Economy, is there a system to bid for a two-level upgrade (Business)?
Yep, you get the option on 787 routes. From recollection, for YYC-LHR for example, it was $555 for Y->P, and some amount above $1400 for Y->J.
flipstah likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Yep, you get the option on 787 routes. From recollection, for YYC-LHR for example, it was $555 for Y->P, and some amount above $1400 for Y->J.
Thanks. I did this on the app, and haven't tried on my computer yet but is there an option to select either 'P' or 'J' when making an upgrade offer?

All I saw was a sliding scale reflecting the bid amount. I didn't see a selection of fare type.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:13 pm

Don't have an upcoming booking to screenshot on but in mobile browser, you select the flight and it defaults to Business iirc.

There're two buttons above the scale to toggle between Business and Premium.
flipstah and V1213 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Data point on bid success:

WS574 YWG-YOW 22 Jan 2023
Minimum bid of $95 (including tax) was submitted, but unsuccessful.
Check-in upgrade was $70 (+tax).

No idea why the bid upgrade was rejected on such a lightly-loaded flight, but not complaining when the check-in upgrade price is lower.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by drthunder
So how did it go?
Oh hi! Sorry I didn't see your message, somehow notification didn't come.
I got an email saying my $670 bid was declined. But upon entering OLCI, WestJet decided to offer a J upgrade option for $639, so I bit it instantly.
Ended up getting a non-window seat, but since this was an overnight flight (not that I was expecting to succeed in snagging a window seat this late anyway), I didn't care that much.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:52 am

T-3 1/3 months
YHZ–YYC
Bid scale min $225 max $405
Currently put $235. Leaning towards going back to min if OLCI upgrade cost is likely lower than the minimum bid.

Last year, the YYC–YHZ one got accepted with minimum bid $245.
Does anyone know how much the OLCI Y → PM upgrade costs for YHZ↔︎YYC?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:19 pm

How much to bid on YVR-PVR April 13 on the dreamliner for three people? I think the minimum is about 250 or is it better to wait the 48 hours before
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
As a Delta Diamond, I have found OLCI upgrades to WS Business on 787 great deal. I can book round trip YYZ-YVR for 25000 skymiles and upgrade offer from Y to J is always $349. Pretty great value in my book.

I’ve always seen the J cabin mostly empty with JCD buckets all open at OLCI T-24, but this week, it was mostly sold. Only J3 C1 D0. I was curious if I would still get the offer with D0. Good news….Still same offer so they must offer it down to last seat availability at T-24.

For a data point, Y to W offer was $99. Business is full today but W only has 4 people. Economy is mostly full.

For Delta flyers, although I live in YYZ, I’ve seen routings US-YYZ-YVR on Delta.com. Worth booking (although current schedule only has YYZ-YVR on 787 departing at 900a, so few east coast connections will arrive YYZ in time. Worth looking though.
V1213 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
The min bid for YYC-JFK is bonkers.

Suggested is $630, min is $530, $25 less than the min bid for Premium on YYC-LHR. Especially considering someone can book straight into Premium on YYC-JFK for $746
To add more info as a reference point:
The min upgrade bid was $530
The upgrade cost at checkin with 3 seats open was $209

Based on this absurd example and previous posts, little reason for using Plusgrade if able to check in at t-24 and you can confirm there's a decent number of seats remaining in the cabin
V1213 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:48 pm

So it seems as if bidding before might not be the most successful- instead wait?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.