Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alaska vs. Westjet rewards and credit card - Input neede

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking about switching my loyalty program from Alaska Airlines to Westjet. Along with it, my credit cards. The RBC Westjet credit card seems to be very similar to the MBNA Mastercard (for Canadians). Wondering if anyone else has made the switch from Alaska to Westjet? We have found, over the years, that Alaska's flight prices have gotten much more expensive (both cash and award points) for places we like to visit like Mexico and Hawaii. While they do offer cheap flights to Vegas and southern California, it's getting harder and harder to find bargains on Alaska. Would love to hear what other people think.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:26 pm

While I still have an MBNA Alaska and a RBC Westjet card, I have switched my "primary" spending to the Westjet card. A few reasons:
- Expected future travel plans favour Westjet flights,
- AS partners have become more limited while Westjet's have improved,
- Westjet $ are good whenever while AS miles are only as useful as award seats are available,

On the flip side:
- AS companion is $99(USD) for all AS flights whereas Westjet varies from $99, $299, $399
- AS WorldElite Mastercard now also has free checked bags

I'd also agree that fares on AS aren't always competitive with today's exchange rates making it even worse.
radnub likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.