Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Whatís WestJet up to? [Agreement with Xiamen Airlines]

Old May 31, 19, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold

Mod edit: FT rules require a summary of an article to assist members in deciding whether or not to click through.

WestJet, on behalf of itself and Xiamen Airlines, has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an approval to permit Xiamen Airlines to provide its scheduled international service between China and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by WestJet between China and Canada, for an indefinite period or such period as may be authorized by the Agency.

WestJet has also requested an exemption from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR, which requires the filing of an application for an approval at least 45 days before the first planned flight. The Agency finds that compliance with subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR is impractical in this case. Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)(c) of the CTA, exempts WestJet from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR.

Xiamen Airlines is licensed to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the People's Republic of China on Air Transport, signed on September 9, 2005.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 3, 19 at 11:55 pm Reason: To comply with rules
Old May 31, 19, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jj12345 View Post
Codeshare / Interline with Xiamen between Canada and China, likely to build pricing experience at low risk into China.
Old May 31, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
Does it not sound like a wet lease type of situation?
Old May 31, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by jj12345 View Post
Does it not sound like a wet lease type of situation?
No, it will probably be used to fill seats sold by Xiamen when WestJet announces itís previously approved flights between China and Canada. I think this is the key statement that indicates Xiamen marketing seats on WestJet operated flights:

ďAir transportation using Xiamen Airlines' code on flights operated by WestJet between China and Canada shall not be sold separately and shall only be available to traffic carried on a continuous journey under Xiamen Airlines' code between China and Canada. No local traffic may be carried under Xiamen Airlines' code between China and Canada.Ē
Old Jun 1, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Interesting because Xiamen is a Skyteam member. Maybe this is another sign of WS inching slowly towards membership.
Old Jun 1, 19, 3:22 pm

Standard boiler-plate codeshare approval. The interesting part is "on flights operated by WestJet between China and Canada".

Another codeshare, this the reverse, where it is WestJet putting its name on Azores Airlines flights.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-90

WestJet has also recently renewed their codeshares with Air France and QANTAS.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Standard boiler-plate codeshare approval. The interesting part is "on flights operated by WestJet between China and Canada".

Another codeshare, this the reverse, where it is WestJet putting its name on Azores Airlines flights.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-90

WestJet has also recently renewed their codeshares with Air France and QANTAS.
In addition to Azores Airlines, the three other operators between Canada and Portugal are TAP Air Portugal, Air Canada and Transat. Basically Star Alliance or soon to be merged into Star Alliance. A destination that could be a Max destination for WS if it wanted to add to Azores Airlines operated flights.
Old Jun 3, 19, 1:27 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
Interesting because Xiamen is a Skyteam member. Maybe this is another sign of WS inching slowly towards membership.
WestJet will be joining Skyteam Alliance ,got info from an internal source at Delta. It was mentioned that an announcement of joining Skyteam alliance is imminent and will be made once the Joint Venture with Delta Air Lines is approved by the regulatory bodies.

There is marketing materials and copy already ready to go , on the Delta Air lines side as far as I have been informed. Joint WestJet and Delta, photo shoots for marketing had taken place in Atlanta and in one of digital proofs , one saw all the flight attendants of the Skyteam Alliance standing all together posed and there was a greyed out, human shaped spot .It would be fair to deductively reason this is WestJet .
Arthurrs, FlyerJ, The Lev and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon View Post

WestJet will be joining Skyteam Alliance ,got info from an internal source at Delta. It was mentioned that an announcement of joining Skyteam alliance is imminent and will be made once the Joint Venture with Delta Air Lines is approved by the regulatory bodies.

There is marketing materials and copy already ready to go , on the Delta Air lines side as far as I have been informed. Joint WestJet and Delta, photo shoots for marketing had taken place in Atlanta and in one of digital proofs , one saw all the flight attendants of the Skyteam Alliance standing all together posed and there was a greyed out, human shaped spot .It would be fair to deductively reason this is WestJet .
Ooooh.. exciting! I hope this happens soon. The JV at the least. I have to make a trip to MSP in August, would love to be able to fly Delta and have benefits
Old Jun 3, 19, 8:22 pm

AA and Qantas just received tentative, ďfirst stepĒ approval to their proposed JV on Monday June 3. (It was their second attempt.) They filed this second try back in February 2018.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-qan...tive-approval/

WS and DL submitted their JV application in July 2018 ... 6 months later.

https://news.delta.com/delta-and-wes...-joint-venture

This still could be many, many months away. (I hope Iím wrong.)

If theyíve all decided that JV approval is required before joining SkyTeam (it isnít) or offering reciprocal FF benefits (ditto ... itís not required), weíre still in for a frustrating wait.

I find it bloody annoying, as Iím now splitting my CB travel between WS and UA. DL is a distant third. AS and AA pick up the remainder. (Iím trying to build and grow status on WS, but their current cross-border offering makes it difficult. I have status on UA, thanks to Marriott. So Iím really loyal to nobody and end up booking mostly on schedule and price ó splitting up my spend.)

Together, WS and DL would own my travel spend if they had this in place today (and/or if WS offered more codeshares on more DL routes, or had feasible pricing on all of their DL codeshares.)

And itís also frustrating because I already have DL and AM flights booked for upcoming work trips ó where Iíll get zero benefit.
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:34 am

The real question for me is figuring out when they'll stop branding themselves as a LCC
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by discoseal View Post
The real question for me is figuring out when they'll stop branding themselves as a LCC
Probably once they have met their upgrade criteria ie own business lounges in hubs , complete fleet reconfigured with new W class seats etc .
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by discoseal View Post
LCC isn't used in their "branding". SWOOP is a different story, where "low-fare" and "low-cost" are prominent parts of their branding. That WestJet may be considered an LCC from an industry perspective and a business comparative isn't a matter of "branding" per se.

Search this Thread