Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet gets 'formal warning' for misleading passengers about why it cancelled flight

WestJet gets 'formal warning' for misleading passengers about why it cancelled flight

Old May 25, 19, 4:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 33
WestJet gets 'formal warning' for misleading passengers about why it cancelled flight

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...ling-1.5149512

WestJet violated Canada's Air Transportation Regulations when it told passengers in late 2017 that it cancelled flights to Turks and Caicos and Santa Clara, Cuba, due to airport closures, the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) says.

At the time, each region's international airport was fully operational.

Following an investigation, the CTA determined WestJet violated a regulation which states that airlines "shall not make publicly any statement that is false or misleading." As a penalty, the CTA gave WestJet a formal warning, which means if the airline commits the same violation again, it could face a monetary fine.
Fiordland likes this.

Last edited by Mike902; May 26, 19 at 7:38 am Reason: Forgot to include the link
Mike902 is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 8:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by Mike902 View Post
WestJet violated Canada's Air Transportation Regulations when it told passengers in late 2017 that it cancelled flights to Turks and Caicos and Santa Clara, Cuba, due to airport closures, the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) says.

At the time, each region's international airport was fully operational.

Following an investigation, the CTA determined WestJet violated a regulation which states that airlines "shall not make publicly any statement that is false or misleading." As a penalty, the CTA gave WestJet a formal warning, which means if the airline commits the same violation again, it could face a monetary fine.

FYI -- this is a CBC story. Full story here.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...ling-1.5149512

Ron.
newfbc is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 9:59 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,389
If every airline was fined every time they knowingly spoke or posted false or misleading information they would all be bankrupt.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Sopwith is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 1:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,382
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
If every airline was fined every time they knowingly spoke or posted false or misleading information they would all be bankrupt.
Our they would \stop it.
aidy likes this.
Fiordland is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 2:02 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,695
Publicly would seem to include GA announcements at the gate, FA and pilot announcements on board, but not individual conversions with phone reps or airport agents, right? And I presume that anything posted on the website or even an airport monitor would be included as a statement?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 2:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 759
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Our they would \stop it.
And with that kind of warning they probably will...
james dean is offline  
Old May 25, 19, 11:38 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Posts: 676
"Received a formal warning" roughly equates to "They got away with it".
Frequentlander is online now  
Old May 26, 19, 7:39 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
FYI -- this is a CBC story. Full story here.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...ling-1.5149512

Ron.
Just noticed I forgot to include it. Thanks.
Mike902 is offline  
Old May 26, 19, 9:00 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Publicly would seem to include GA announcements at the gate, FA and pilot announcements on board, but not individual conversions with phone reps or airport agents, right? And I presume that anything posted on the website or even an airport monitor would be included as a statement?
IF such statement is applicable to an INTERNATIONAL service regulated by the Air Transport Regulations.
robsaw is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 6:57 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,313
I'd rather see them send executives to mandatory ethics training and make them pony up a certificate to prove they went (and passed).

You don't stay in business by lying to people so you save a few bucks. You dig in your pocket or purse and find a flight for everyone to Turks and Caicos and back even if the total cost is more than you earned for that trip.

The affected people should have sued for their damages from the breach of contract in small claims where I doubt WS would get a lot of sympathy if the foundation for their defense was they lied and got caught.
ricktoronto is offline  
Old May 29, 19, 9:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post

The affected people should have sued for their damages from the breach of contract in small claims where I doubt WS would get a lot of sympathy if the foundation for their defense was they lied and got caught.
Everyone that complained and pressed on the reason was compensated for their out-of-pocket expenses; no need and no point in a further suit - unless someone wants to start a class-action so that those that just accepted the excuse will get compensation as well; not enough $ likely to get a law-firm involved though and you can't do a class-action in small claims.
robsaw is offline  
Old May 29, 19, 8:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,313
Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Everyone that complained and pressed on the reason was compensated for their out-of-pocket expenses; no need and no point in a further suit - unless someone wants to start a class-action so that those that just accepted the excuse will get compensation as well; not enough $ likely to get a law-firm involved though and you can't do a class-action in small claims.
But not everyone who was affected just those who raised a fuss. An ethical company with a shred of empathy especially when caught lying about the problem should inquire of everyone to see if they were caught out. Actually they should not have lied and arranged something even a charter before the lie.

I suspect full damages and some punishment for the circumstances would not be hard to get in small claims. No lawyers and certainly zero pity by any JP for what they did.
ricktoronto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread