Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority baggage -- plus more new benefits

Old May 21, 19, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Received an email this morning:

And now, more than ever, with the exciting addition of priority baggage to the suite of priority services already available to you. With priority baggage, you and up to eight guests travelling on the same reservation will be among the first to receive your bags when you arrive at your destination. You’ll be out of the airport and on your way to that important meeting, or dinner with the family, much faster.

When checking in, simply watch for the orange priority indicator tag to be added to your checked bags. Or, if you’re using a self-serve bag drop, please see a WestJet agent for your priority tags.

Watch for enhancements to your current benefits in 2019, along with more new benefits, including a comprehensive upgrade program and news on reciprocal airline partner benefits.
And, at the bottom of that same email:

Lounge around Canada.With unlimited lounge access, you can visit 15 lounges across Canada. You’ll find international locations, too—with more coming soon.

Awesome stuff -- this is big.

Priority baggage, reciprocal benefits, more lounges.
Arthurrs and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old May 21, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
Received an email this morning:

And, at the bottom of that same email:

Awesome stuff -- this is big.

Priority baggage, reciprocal benefits, more lounges.
Got the same e-mail. This is most welcome and can't happen too soon.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Yep, just saw that!! Looking forward to this!!
Old May 21, 19, 11:48 am

Click through the links and on their list of lounges, they still include YUL, but as some of us have noted, this lounge is only accessible from the international side and as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), WS don't fly international from YUL.
Old May 21, 19, 7:57 pm

And if you check in at the counter, make sure you remember to ask the agent for the priority bag tags if they don't bring them out. So far none have offered them to me without me asking. My guess is it's not in the "routine" yet.
Old May 21, 19, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by mathemagic View Post
And if you check in at the counter, make sure you remember to ask the agent for the priority bag tags if they don't bring them out. So far none have offered them to me without me asking. My guess is it's not in the "routine" yet.
Roll-out of the Priority tags started in early March. See this thread Priority Luggage Tags Seems like they have convinced themselves they have ironed out the kinks and are ready to deploy system-wide. This is good.
Old May 22, 19, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I’ve been told that on UA and AC, those orange “priority” tags that get stuck in the middle of the sticky baggage tag are really just for show.

Handling and routing of bags within the baggage system are apparently determined by the bar code — and there’s really nobody pays attention to those little orange flags. The system knows which are “priority” without anyone manually sorting them — so priority handling takes place automatically, regardless of whether or not that little flag is stuck in there.

Anyone know if that’s the case ... at least with WestJet? Do we really, truly need the little orange flag to get priority handling?
Old May 22, 19, 10:03 am

I’ve been told that on UA and AC, those orange “priority” tags that get stuck in the middle of the sticky baggage tag are really just for show.

Handling and routing of bags within the baggage system are apparently determined by the bar code — and there’s really nobody pays attention to those little orange flags. The system knows which are “priority” without anyone manually sorting them — so priority handling takes place automatically, regardless of whether or not that little flag is stuck in there.

Anyone know if that’s the case ... at least with WestJet? Do we really, truly need the little orange flag to get priority handling?
It would amaze me if this want the case. I strongly suspect that the orange tag is a flag to the passenger that they are "special" .
Old May 22, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Still too new to know the difference, but the few times I did check my bags and they received the priority tag, they came out with the first batch of bags on the carousel. Time will tell if there is an improvement that remains for the long run.
Old May 22, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: skyteam
It is my understanding, priority baggage is loaded onto the aircraft in a designated priority hold compartment and upon the flights arrival at any given airport is taken off the aircraft first and placed into a baggage cart and delivered first to the carousel and designated fragile/oversize locations. That is how it works.
Old May 22, 19, 7:46 pm

This sounds correct. I used the self serve kiosk in YYZ to print my tags which had "Priority" printed on them. I didn't add an orange flag to the bags and dropped them as usual. They came out with the rest of the "Priority" bags in YYC, including my oversized skis.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: