Encore carry on

Old May 3, 19, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Encore carry on

I have an upcoming flight Montreal-Toronto connecting to Toronto-Gatwick. No status, economy ticket. I know the plane from Montreal is a Q400, and normally would just bring a small carry on. However, because of a few things, I will have my standard rollaboard with me. It isn't oversize, a regular 21" that is completely within Westjet regs for carry on. What are the chances they will make me gate check it (complicated, will have my laptop, ipad, a couple of lithium batteries which I know can't go in the hold, medications, jewelry etc.) and if they do make me gate check (the then nearly empty bag!!) would I have to go back through security in Toronto to claim it off the belt? I really don't want to go through security again and worry about how long that might take. Thanks!
Old May 3, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
If there’s room on the plane and it’s within carry on dimension requirements you should be fine. My carry on is pushing the limits a bit and I’ve never been hassled. Just remember, Jam it in wheels first and then twist it in sideways
Old May 3, 19, 9:06 am

I believe that, when you gate check, they’ll always tag your bag to the final destination.

The Q400s don’t have great capacity for rollaboards, so there is a risk that you might need to check it.

My recommendation: choose a seat at the rear of the plane so you’re in the first “non-status” zones to board ... giving you the best access to bin space through the cabin. Try to be first in your zone ... staying close to the gate during boarding. And, if a Plus/Premium upgrade for that first segment is available during check-in, consider taking it. You won’t get much other than a regular seat near the front, but you’ll get on first and have best access.

Or, frankly, just consider checking a bag. When you’re connecting to a TATL flight, it can be a lot easier and more relaxing if you don’t need to lug around extra stuff during the connection (much less having to worry about getting bin space).
Old May 3, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
I have an upcoming flight Montreal-Toronto connecting to Toronto-Gatwick. No status, economy ticket. I know the plane from Montreal is a Q400, and normally would just bring a small carry on. However, because of a few things, I will have my standard rollaboard with me. It isn't oversize, a regular 21" that is completely within Westjet regs for carry on. What are the chances they will make me gate check it (complicated, will have my laptop, ipad, a couple of lithium batteries which I know can't go in the hold, medications, jewelry etc.) and if they do make me gate check (the then nearly empty bag!!) would I have to go back through security in Toronto to claim it off the belt? I really don't want to go through security again and worry about how long that might take. Thanks!
The chances that WestJet will "make" you check anything at checkin or at the gate is somewhere between minimal and non-existent. Because of this, people drag all their worldly possessions aboard, which can often result in the bins getting full about 2/3 the way into boarding so if that happens, you may be asked to have the bag removed for stowage underneath.
Unlike the majority of Q400 operators WestJet do not have plane side bag check and retrieval (AC and AS do this). Adoption of this service would be a very positive thing.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 10:44 am

I flew on an Air Canada Q400 just last week (YVR/PDX).

No option for gate check or gate valet service there, either. They were tagging extra bags and slightly oversized bags at the gate. If it wouldn’t fit on board, they were putting it in with checked bags, tagged to final destination.

My rollaboard is a standard/small-ish hardsided case. The gate agent told me I shouldn’t have a problem with it, and didn’t make me check it. (I had to stuff it in the bin, but it fit.)

Last edited by FlyerJ; May 3, 19 at 12:11 pm
Old May 3, 19, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
I believe that, when you gate check, they’ll always tag your bag to the final destination.

The Q400s don’t have great capacity for rollaboards, so there is a risk that you might need to check it.

My recommendation: choose a seat at the rear of the plane so you’re in the first “non-status” zones to board ... giving you the best access to bin space through the cabin. Try to be first in your zone ... staying close to the gate during boarding. And, if a Plus/Premium upgrade for that first segment is available during check-in, consider taking it. You won’t get much other than a regular seat near the front, but you’ll get on first and have best access.

Or, frankly, just consider checking a bag. When you’re connecting to a TATL flight, it can be a lot easier and more relaxing if you don’t need to lug around extra stuff during the connection (much less having to worry about getting bin space).
I will certainly see if Plus is available - are you able to just upgrade for part of the journey (guessing the Gatwick leg will be expensive!)

I am checking a bag, and fine with that, it is just I will have a number of electronics / fragile / banned / valuable / medication items in the carry on. I have quite a bit of walking to do in a couple of the places I will be, and a knackered back, so anything other than wheels is very tough. I don't plan on bringing a second carry on item, so what do they do when people have their valuables / electronics / prohibited items etc. in a carry on with nowhere else to stash them like a laptop bag?
Old May 3, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
The chances that WestJet will "make" you check anything at checkin or at the gate is somewhere between minimal and non-existent. Because of this, people drag all their worldly possessions aboard, which can often result in the bins getting full about 2/3 the way into boarding so if that happens, you may be asked to have the bag removed for stowage underneath.
Unlike the majority of Q400 operators WestJet do not have plane side bag check and retrieval (AC and AS do this). Adoption of this service would be a very positive thing.
Is there any chance a rollaboard would fit under the seat? I don't care about leg room on an hour's flight.
Old May 3, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troubler View Post
If there’s room on the plane and it’s within carry on dimension requirements you should be fine. My carry on is pushing the limits a bit and I’ve never been hassled. Just remember, Jam it in wheels first and then twist it in sideways
Yep, it's definitely within the limits!
Old May 3, 19, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
I flew on an Air Canada Q400 just last week (YVR/PDX).

No option for gate check or gate valet service there, either. They were tagging extra bags and slightly oversized bags at the gate. If it wouldn’t fit on board, they were putting it in with checked bags, tagged to final destination.

My rollaboard is a standard/small-ish hardsided case. The gate agent told me I shouldn’t have a problem with it, and didn’t make me check it. (I had to stuff it in the bin, but it fit.)
The gate valet thing works pretty well in Europe, although you still can't put things with lithium batteries in the gate check - when I asked on my last flight there what they wanted me to do, they said I could take it on board, rather than unpack half the case and carry it in my hands.
Old May 3, 19, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
Is there any chance a rollaboard would fit under the seat? I don't care about leg room on an hour's flight.
There is no chance a normal rollaboard will fit under a seat. What I do when only traveling with carry-on is have a thin light weight stretchable bag (mine is made from a neoprene like material) that I put all my electronics and other critical items in and carry it in the carry-on bag, being able to take it out in a matter of seconds if the carry-on has to be checked.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
There is no chance a normal rollaboard will fit under a seat. What I do when only traveling with carry-on is have a thin light weight stretchable bag (mine is made from a neoprene like material) that I put all my electronics and other critical items in and carry it in the carry-on bag, being able to take it out in a matter of seconds if the carry-on has to be checked.
Thank you!
Old May 4, 19, 7:04 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
................ What I do when only traveling with carry-on is have a thin light weight stretchable bag (mine is made from a neoprene like material) that I put all my electronics and other critical items in and carry it in the carry-on bag, being able to take it out in a matter of seconds if the carry-on has to be checked.
Same.

Search this Thread