FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Rewards Expiring Companion Vouchers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1967950-rewards-expiring-companion-vouchers.html)

Troubler May 2, 2019 9:45 am

Rewards Expiring Companion Vouchers - Convert to WJD

Hey everyone!

Some info I just ran in to recently, although not a published benefit as far as I can tell. You can convert expiring companion vouchers in to WJD by calling in to the priority lines. You can get $150 for the Canada wide vouchers, and $250 for WestJet wide vouchers. The WJD you get from converting have a 1 year expiry.

Have also heard some people say they have successfully used more than one voucher on a trip by calling in. Those people reported needing to have a paid ticket for every voucher used. YMMV though, seems that others have been told this isn’t possible. It sounds like not all the agents are aware how to do this.

The YVR Guy May 2, 2019 12:17 pm

Is this for earned companion vouchers through spend via WestJet Rewards? Or can it also be done for the companion voucher you get with the RBC World Elite MasterCard?

Troubler May 2, 2019 12:35 pm

This is for the rewards vouchers only as far as I’ve heard.

FlyerTalker70 May 15, 2019 2:43 am

Will take a look into this. I get plenty of those vouchers from my WS World Elite card but never can find a use for them (WS is still not part of *A!). Would be nice if I can convert them into WS$ since there are occasions where I need a domestic flight from say LGW to YYZ!

-James

zappy312 May 20, 2019 12:58 pm

I gave WestJet a ring today and referenced the vouchers earned from being a Gold / Platinum member being redeemable for a residual WestJet Dollar amount. The rep confirmed that is an option so she seemed to know what's going on.

When I asked about the WS WE MC voucher, she said that one is provided by RBC and confirmed it would have no residual value. If anyone hears otherwise, I'd be interested since I have a voucher expiring shortly that I won't be using (and already wrote off).

Troubler May 20, 2019 5:50 pm

You can also transfer them to friends to be used by them if you want apparently. Still need a paid ticket in order to use a companion voucher, but you don’t have to be one of the people flying.

Calgary661 May 25, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Troubler (Post 31060055)
Hey everyone!

Some info I just ran in to recently, although not a published benefit as far as I can tell. You can convert expiring companion vouchers in to WJD by calling in to the priority lines. You can get $150 for the Canada wide vouchers, and $250 for WestJet wide vouchers. The WJD you get from converting have a 1 year expiry.

Have also heard some people say they have successfully used more than one voucher on a trip by calling in. Those people reported needing to have a paid ticket for every voucher used. YMMV though, seems that others have been told this isn’t possible. It sounds like not all the agents are aware how to do this.

Thanks for sharing this! Just redeemed $400 in expiring vouchers to WJD!

Frequentlander May 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Just cashed in a soon-to-expire system wide voucher for 250 WSD.

Very happy about that.

jimsthe1 Jul 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Hmm. Just called in to the Plat Line to exchange a soon to be expiring WJ wide companion voucher and the rep advised they will no longer exchange for WJD. She indicated they will only exchange vouchers received at $10,000 and every $2,000 above that to lounge vouchers or seat vouchers (I believe that's what she said - my disappointment made me lose focus at that point). The only thing she offered for me was that I could extend the companion voucher by 30 days. :(

Anyone else hearing the same?

ababey Jul 19, 2019 10:28 pm

This like a lot of "unpublished" benefits have vanished.

Troubler Jul 26, 2019 5:07 pm

Yep, ever since they brought in the “trade your expiring vouchers for lounge passes or seat selection vouchers” program they removed the ability to get WJD. And yeah you can only trade in the ones you earn at $10k spend and above I believe.

The Platinum Rewards Council page is pretty heavy with complaints about that. And the open premium seats that go unfilled, or are filled with WestJet employees.

sha8192 Nov 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Just curious, can you still transfer your voucher to a friend to use? The term says it's non-transferable but I just wonder if in practice they are willing to do things differently.

Troubler Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Hmm, might be worth a call in to the gold/platinum support line. I definitely was able to use a companion voucher for my friend and his wife by calling in to the line. They are traveling with my wife and I (I used a voucher for us too) but they’re on a separate itinerary since they can only have one voucher per itinerary. So I would think it would be possible if you booked the trip for them at the very least.