Possible future 787 routes

Old Apr 28, 19, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Possible future 787 routes

Was chatting with my wifes cousin who's worked for WS for 20 years and she was telling me Westjet are looking at Australia, India and China for the remaining 7 dreamliners they have coming in.
Where would you like to see? Personally I would love YYC HKG but that is unlikely.
Old Apr 28, 19, 8:16 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Was chatting with my wifes cousin who's worked for WS for 20 years and she was telling me Westjet are looking at Australia, India and China for the remaining 7 dreamliners they have coming in.
Where would you like to see? Personally I would love YYC HKG but that is unlikely.
Currently, Canada - HKG is over serviced, plus CX is adding seats as they change their 777 to 10 across seating. I think mainland China would be a better bet.
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
There is (to my mind anyway) a gap in the market for service between Western Canada and South America. I'd like to see YYC-Santiago, but I would LOVE to see YVR-Santiago. My credit card is on standby. I seem to remember there was a YVR-Lima-Santiago route back in the days of Canadian Airlines.
5mm and The Lev like this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I would love to see a YYZ-HNL-YYZ or YYZ-OGG-YYZ for March break! AC does something similar around Christmastime!
YYCguy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by 5mm View Post
Currently, Canada - HKG is over serviced,
I just paid CAD$4,500 rtn for YVR-HKG-PVG in J on CX so yes, over serviced.
Old Apr 28, 19, 2:18 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
I just paid CAD$4,500 rtn for YVR-HKG-PVG in J on CX so yes, over serviced.
I got a couple of net J return tickets on CX(YVR-HKG) for $2900(CDN) in Jan/Feb this year.
Old Apr 28, 19, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
I would love to see a YYZ-HNL-YYZ or YYZ-OGG-YYZ for March break! AC does something similar around Christmastime!
Not sure what the demand would be for Hawaii as a destination from Ontario, but wouldn’t it be cool to see WS put their Dreamliner (as AC is doing) for that route for the whole winter!
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YYCguy View Post

Not sure what the demand would be for Hawaii as a destination from Ontario, but wouldn’t it be cool to see WS put their Dreamliner (as AC is doing) for that route for the whole winter!
I'd personally love it. But I don't know how sustainable that might be.

Given that I don't believe the 789 has the range to do it ex-YYZ, YYC-AUK or YVR-AUK would also be of personal interest. And YVR-SIN maybe?
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:20 pm

The 789 maximum range is 7635 nautical miles. YYC-AKL is 6464 nm (85% of maximum, YVR-AKL is 6121 nm (80% of maximum), so both are possible. Normally you can fly up to 90% of maximum range without any significant limitations such as having to cap seats below the maximum capacity or bulk-out baggage.
Symmetre likes this.

Last edited by aerobod; Apr 29, 19 at 6:04 am
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:49 pm

I don't think Alkanuk Alaska (AUK) is near the top of potential Dreamliner destinations
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
I don't think Alkanuk Alaska (AUK) is near the top of potential Dreamliner destinations
My bad, and a thousand slashes with the wet noodle. Should have read AKL. D'oh!
cedric likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: skyteam
the world of possibilities

​​​​​​
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Unsure if this was mentioned elsewhere but BusinessTraveller is reporting that the WS will be accepting 2 more 787s in the coming weeks and those birds will be put to service on routes from Calgary to DUB and Paris, France. My guess is WS will be deploying their 787s from YYC to international destinations not already served by OALs. If I were to speculate, MAD, BCN and FCO are prime candidates next for Europe. I strongly doubt they will do routes over to Asia or Oceania due to the sheer distances involved. Such long flights would require them to have more than 2 pilots and use their scarce resource (787) longer per route. This is to say nothing of what happens if there are breakdowns far away. The open question I have is whether WS will deploy these birds domestically for regional flights like YYZ > YVR and the like. Part of me thinks not given how well cornered AC has the domestic market (i.e. lounge and route network incorporating several pancake seats per route every day).

-James
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Unsure if this was mentioned elsewhere but BusinessTraveller is reporting that the WS will be accepting 2 more 787s in the coming weeks and those birds will be put to service on routes from Calgary to DUB and Paris, France. My guess is WS will be deploying their 787s from YYC to international destinations not already served by OALs. If I were to speculate, MAD, BCN and FCO are prime candidates next for Europe. I strongly doubt they will do routes over to Asia or Oceania due to the sheer distances involved. Such long flights would require them to have more than 2 pilots and use their scarce resource (787) longer per route. This is to say nothing of what happens if there are breakdowns far away. The open question I have is whether WS will deploy these birds domestically for regional flights like YYZ > YVR and the like. Part of me thinks not given how well cornered AC has the domestic market (i.e. lounge and route network incorporating several pancake seats per route every day).
All 787s for 2019 were delivered by end of April and are in service domestically and LGW (swap from 767-300), and then to DUB and CDG. YYC-YYZ will remain in service throughout summer.
Old Apr 30, 19, 7:46 am

It would be awesome to see Westjet fly to the new Istanbul airport. Turkey and surrounding area is a great place to visit and the airport is establishing themselves as a new hub between the west and Middle East/Africa. I don't know what their partnership/code share relationship looks like right now though.

Search this Thread