FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Possible future 787 routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1967284-possible-future-787-routes.html)

Jonsie Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am

Possible future 787 routes

Was chatting with my wifes cousin who's worked for WS for 20 years and she was telling me Westjet are looking at Australia, India and China for the remaining 7 dreamliners they have coming in.
Where would you like to see? Personally I would love YYC HKG but that is unlikely.

5mm Apr 28, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Jonsie (Post 31045318)
Was chatting with my wifes cousin who's worked for WS for 20 years and she was telling me Westjet are looking at Australia, India and China for the remaining 7 dreamliners they have coming in.
Where would you like to see? Personally I would love YYC HKG but that is unlikely.

Currently, Canada - HKG is over serviced, plus CX is adding seats as they change their 777 to 10 across seating. I think mainland China would be a better bet.

Frequentlander Apr 28, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Jonsie (Post 31045318)

There is (to my mind anyway) a gap in the market for service between Western Canada and South America. I'd like to see YYC-Santiago, but I would LOVE to see YVR-Santiago. My credit card is on standby. I seem to remember there was a YVR-Lima-Santiago route back in the days of Canadian Airlines.

Arthurrs Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

I would love to see a YYZ-HNL-YYZ or YYZ-OGG-YYZ for March break! AC does something similar around Christmastime!

Frequentlander Apr 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 31045329)
Currently, Canada - HKG is over serviced,

I just paid CAD$4,500 rtn for YVR-HKG-PVG in J on CX so yes, over serviced.

5mm Apr 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 31046284)
I just paid CAD$4,500 rtn for YVR-HKG-PVG in J on CX so yes, over serviced.

I got a couple of net J return tickets on CX(YVR-HKG) for $2900(CDN) in Jan/Feb this year.

YYCguy Apr 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs (Post 31046268)
I would love to see a YYZ-HNL-YYZ or YYZ-OGG-YYZ for March break! AC does something similar around Christmastime!

Not sure what the demand would be for Hawaii as a destination from Ontario, but wouldn’t it be cool to see WS put their Dreamliner (as AC is doing) for that route for the whole winter!

Symmetre Apr 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy (Post 31046421)

Not sure what the demand would be for Hawaii as a destination from Ontario, but wouldn’t it be cool to see WS put their Dreamliner (as AC is doing) for that route for the whole winter!

I'd personally love it. But I don't know how sustainable that might be.

Given that I don't believe the 789 has the range to do it ex-YYZ, YYC-AUK or YVR-AUK would also be of personal interest. And YVR-SIN maybe?

aerobod Apr 28, 2019 6:20 pm

The 789 maximum range is 7635 nautical miles. YYC-AKL is 6464 nm (85% of maximum, YVR-AKL is 6121 nm (80% of maximum), so both are possible. Normally you can fly up to 90% of maximum range without any significant limitations such as having to cap seats below the maximum capacity or bulk-out baggage.

cedric Apr 28, 2019 9:49 pm

I don't think Alkanuk Alaska (AUK) is near the top of potential Dreamliner destinations ;)

Symmetre Apr 29, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cedric (Post 31047267)
I don't think Alkanuk Alaska (AUK) is near the top of potential Dreamliner destinations ;)

My bad, and a thousand slashes with the wet noodle. Should have read AKL. D'oh!

cirrusdragoon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am

FlyerTalker70 Apr 29, 2019 6:56 pm

Unsure if this was mentioned elsewhere but BusinessTraveller is reporting that the WS will be accepting 2 more 787s in the coming weeks and those birds will be put to service on routes from Calgary to DUB and Paris, France. My guess is WS will be deploying their 787s from YYC to international destinations not already served by OALs. If I were to speculate, MAD, BCN and FCO are prime candidates next for Europe. I strongly doubt they will do routes over to Asia or Oceania due to the sheer distances involved. Such long flights would require them to have more than 2 pilots and use their scarce resource (787) longer per route. This is to say nothing of what happens if there are breakdowns far away. The open question I have is whether WS will deploy these birds domestically for regional flights like YYZ > YVR and the like. Part of me thinks not given how well cornered AC has the domestic market (i.e. lounge and route network incorporating several pancake seats per route every day).

-James

YXUFlyboy Apr 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31050572)
Unsure if this was mentioned elsewhere but BusinessTraveller is reporting that the WS will be accepting 2 more 787s in the coming weeks and those birds will be put to service on routes from Calgary to DUB and Paris, France. My guess is WS will be deploying their 787s from YYC to international destinations not already served by OALs. If I were to speculate, MAD, BCN and FCO are prime candidates next for Europe. I strongly doubt they will do routes over to Asia or Oceania due to the sheer distances involved. Such long flights would require them to have more than 2 pilots and use their scarce resource (787) longer per route. This is to say nothing of what happens if there are breakdowns far away. The open question I have is whether WS will deploy these birds domestically for regional flights like YYZ > YVR and the like. Part of me thinks not given how well cornered AC has the domestic market (i.e. lounge and route network incorporating several pancake seats per route every day).

All 787s for 2019 were delivered by end of April and are in service domestically and LGW (swap from 767-300), and then to DUB and CDG. YYC-YYZ will remain in service throughout summer.

calgaryhhr Apr 30, 2019 7:46 am

It would be awesome to see Westjet fly to the new Istanbul airport. Turkey and surrounding area is a great place to visit and the airport is establishing themselves as a new hub between the west and Middle East/Africa. I don't know what their partnership/code share relationship looks like right now though.