Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

RBC WestJet World Elite MasterCard Companion voucher question

Old Apr 25, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold

I'm flying out of Toronto to San Francisco, travelling for a bit, and then going to Honolulu. Is it possible to use the companion voucher for a YYZ - SFO / HNL - YYZ flight. Has anyone had any experience booking this sort of itinerary, and if so how recently?

I know that using a companion voucher for Hawaii is $299, and would have no problems paying that rate.

I called WestJet today to try and book the flights, however they told me that the system wouldn't allow it because it involves to separate zones, was on hold for about 10 minutes only to be told no dice.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mike28j View Post
I'm flying out of Toronto to San Francisco, travelling for a bit, and then going to Honolulu. Is it possible to use the companion voucher for a YYZ - SFO / HNL - YYZ flight. Has anyone had any experience booking this sort of itinerary, and if so how recently?

I know that using a companion voucher for Hawaii is $299, and would have no problems paying that rate.

I called WestJet today to try and book the flights, however they told me that the system wouldn't allow it because it involves to separate zones, was on hold for about 10 minutes only to be told no dice.

Thanks in advance.

In the terms and conditions they only talk about zones but not going into more than one of them. They are probably going by the open jaw rules as well which state the distance between the open jaw points has to be less than the shortest sector flown.

in this case SFO-HNL is 2397 and the distance between YYZ-SFO is 2245 since YYZ-SFO is less it would not allowed under normal rules.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold
Thank you. That answer makes sense, I dont like it, but it is what it is. When calculating the distances, would they just use the start/end points or the route? IE if my YYZ-HNL goes to YVR would the distance be calculated as YYZ-YVR-HNL, or still YYZ-HNL.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:34 am

Thank you. That answer makes sense, I dont like it, but it is what it is. When calculating the distances, would they just use the start/end points or the route? IE if my YYZ-HNL goes to YVR would the distance be calculated as YYZ-YVR-HNL, or still YYZ-HNL.

Thanks again for your help.

yes just the start and end points are used. In your example YYZ-HNL....not YYZ-YVR-HNL.
Old May 10, 19, 7:51 am

The RBC WS World Elite MasterCard voucher is good only for return flight. One way, multi-city and open jaw even if all cities are within the same zone are NOT permitted.
For example, YYZ-YVR, drive or take the train to YYC, fly home from YYC to YYZ - not allowed!
YYZ-FLL one-way - also not allowed.
Old May 10, 19, 7:58 am

I'm flying out of Toronto to San Francisco, travelling for a bit, and then going to Honolulu. Is it possible to use the companion voucher for a YYZ - SFO / HNL - YYZ flight. Has anyone had any experience booking this sort of itinerary, and if so how recently?.......
No, not allowed. One way, multi-cities or open jaw are not allowed even if all cities are within the same zone.

You may only book a simple A to B back to A return flight.

You may NOT book A to B, C to A. You also may not book A to B, stopover, B to C thence C to A. Another NO is A to B, stopover, B to C, stopover, C to A.
Old May 10, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
No, not allowed. One way, multi-cities or open jaw are not allowed even if all cities are within the same zone.

You may only book a simple A to B back to A return flight.

You may NOT book A to B, C to A. You also may not book A to B, stopover, B to C thence C to A. Another NO is A to B, stopover, B to C, stopover, C to A.
Has this changed? Two years ago we went YYC-DUB-YYT-YYC using a companion voucher. 9 days in DUB. 7 Days in YYT.
Old May 10, 19, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by J. Leslie View Post
Has this changed? Two years ago we went YYC-DUB-YYT-YYC using a companion voucher. 9 days in DUB. 7 Days in YYT.
Not sure if you were lucky, the rule has changed since your travel, a computer glitch or the WS agent who answered my call didn't know what he was talking about.
A few weeks ago, I tried to book a one-way FLL-YYZ with a RBC WE MC voucher and could not do so online. I called in and was told by the agent that it had to be a return booking. She further said that multi-city or open jaw also not allowed.
Last year, I had no problem booking a YYZ-YVR-YYZ with the voucher.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 11, 19 at 9:21 am
Old May 20, 19, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
Not sure if you were lucky, the rule has changed since your travel, a computer glitch or the WS agent who answered my call didn't know what he was talking about.
A few weeks ago, I tried to book a one-way FLL-YYZ with a RBC WE MC voucher and could not do so online. I called in and was told by the agent that it had to be a return booking. She further said that multi-city or open jaw also not allowed.
Last year, I had no problem booking a YYZ-YVR-YYZ with the voucher.
WestJet says in their voucher T&Cs that:

• Primary cardholder may use the companion voucher only once on their choice of either A) round-trip travel in Canada and the continental U.S. for a $99 CAD base fare B) round-trip travel to/from Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Hawaii for a $299 CAD base fare or C) round-trip travel to/from the rest of the WestJet network for a $399 CAD base fare. If one-way travel is booked, the full base fare will be charged, the voucher will be deemed fully used and the return portion of travel is forfeited.
Based on that, it seems like one-way travel should be permitted with the voucher.
Old May 20, 19, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312 View Post
Based on that, it seems like one-way travel should be permitted with the voucher.
Thanks for the information. I have booked AC on this trip because the fare was significantly cheaper than WS. I also booked a Preferred Seat and prepaid a meal voucher. I shall request to upgrade to a business class entree.
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by zappy312 View Post

What does “full base fare will be charged” mean?
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:05 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post

What does “full base fare will be charged” mean?
If the base fare for the round trip is $99 and you choose to only fly a one way, you are still charged $99 base fare for the one way, not half the base fare ($49.50).
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, AA, Worldperks, Asiamiles, BA Miles
Open jaw possible.

I just booked YVR-YYZ, return LGA-YVR via YYZ using the companion ticket. The first agent I called said it was okay. What wasn't okay was YVR-YYZ stopover YYZ- LGA then return LGA-YVR. When it came time to book the agent said she thought it wasn't possible but would check. Came back and said it was possible and promptly booked it. All I had to do was book the extra YYZ-LGA segment separately. She said my stopover routing would have been okay if it was in the same zone. eg: YVR-YYZ stopover, YYZ-YUL, return YUL-YVR.
Old Sep 30, 19, 4:29 pm

I've booked open jaw multiple times using my rbc companion fare:

YYC-SAN//PSP-YYC

and

YYC-OGG//HNL-YYC

Search this Thread