Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS New 787 J Class Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by james dean
really meal service took that long, yikes...that's into my sleep time. Personally I like to get fed and watered early then snooze, but thats just me..
For those that wish to enjoy a dining experience, rather than sleep, you may enjoy the full dinner, however if sleep is your priority, there are express meal options. Just make your Cabin Crew Member aware of your priorities and they will be happy to give you the option.

Also, it’s important to remember that J class is brand new to WS and the new international service has only been effective a couple of months. The CCMs have had extensive training throughout the year so far and even had one pod to practice with in the training centre, but certainly not 16 pods with each person requesting different meals options at various times. As each CCM rotates throughly the business Cabin, they will all have the chance to practice in real time. The CCMs with multiple experiences in J will have the timing more down pat, the CCMs who are new to the cabin will have it less so.

Last edited by YYCguy; Jul 2, 2019 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YYCguy

For those that wish to enjoy a dining experience, rather than sleep, you may enjoy the full dinner, however if sleep is your priority, there are express meal options. Just make your Cabin Crew Member aware of your priorities and they will be happy to give you the option.

Also, it’s important to remember that J class is brand new to WS and the new international service has only been effective a couple of months. The CCMs have had extensive training throughout the year so far and even had one pod to practice with in the training centre, but certainly not 16 pods with each person requesting different meals options at various times. As each CCM rotates throughly the business Cabin, they will all have the chance to practice in real time. The CCMs with multiple experiences in J will have the timing more down pat, the CCMs who are new to the cabin will have it less so.
Good response, honesty will get you everywhere...
Carfield likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by YYCguy

Most full service airlines have a substantial training for Business class for their cabin attendants , running around 14-20 days soley for Business class. And in some cases, there are even dedicated crew members who only work in Business class sections.

I believe in westjet’s case , I was reading on another forum some time ago, crew only had 10 days , ab initio, to learn economy , premium economy and business class. I suppose we see this lack of speed as the result. Cost saving initiatives perhaps but it does come with a price. With a thorough training and rehearsal program , one creates a solid sense of skill, and without it, well the opposite, like anything in life.
Carfield and smallmj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Meal service took approximately 3hrs15min.
... If they could reduce the amount of time it takes to serve dinner, ....

This echos the comments of an acquaintance who recently flew YYC-CDG
Sounds like there was one f/a for each aisle and possibly one more in the galley.

He was in row three. There was a passenger in row one who had completed his dessert before my friend had been served main course.
Another comment was the lack of wine that was being poured. He has a lot of J experience and WS was keeping him sober.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
In my mind...

Originally Posted by tracon
This echos the comments of an acquaintance who recently flew YYC-CDG
Sounds like there was one f/a for each aisle and possibly one more in the galley.

He was in row three. There was a passenger in row one who had completed his dessert before my friend had been served main course.
Another comment was the lack of wine that was being poured. He has a lot of J experience and WS was keeping him sober.
...this has always been a WJ failing. On AC the booze flows. They will ask if you are driving and if the answer is no well then you can drink as much as you want. On WJ it's like pulling teeth, just to get a drink. Not sure if this is corporately mandated or what...but it is damn frustrating on a Friday afternoon flight home.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone with recent experiences of meal service times to see whether WS is moving up the learning curve? I'm off to CDG tonight and wondering what to expect (and how much to eat in the Aspire lounge beforehand).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UAMP
So, Adam Smith, how was it?
smallmj likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by greytop13
So, Adam Smith, how was it?
Short answer: overall, I think WS has done a good job, but they seem to be emphasizing food quality/experience over other things, especially sleep. I see sleep as being crucial to a TATL J experience and as a result was disappointed. I'll consider WS for future trips, but I'm not keen to throw a lot of money at what I see as a sub-par experience.

Long answer: the seat is good. Relative to other airlines flying the same seat, they seem to have made some nice tweaks - a bit of extra storage, feels slightly more private.

Service was excellent, albeit bordering on obsequious on the way over.

The food was excellent. Possibly the best overall meal I've had on an airplane, ever.

They now warn you about timing before pushback - they say it will take 2.5 hours, start to finish, if you have a full meal. Well, on YYC-CDG they gave that warning, not sure it was mentioned on the way back. But it's still way too long. Let's take YYC-CDG as an example. It's 8:45 block time. Let's say 15 minutes from pushback to takeoff when that 2.5 hour clock starts (I clarified with the FA). You're going to be done dinner with about 6 hours left in the flight. Then they start serving breakfast with 2 hours to touchdown. Many people find breakfast service difficult to sleep through given the noise, cabin lights, etc. So even assuming 0 taxi time on arrival for simplicity, you're down to 4 hours of potential quality sleep time. (You could skip some or all of the meal, of course, but again, with lights on and all the noise of other people getting dinner service around you, I would say this isn't likely to offer high-quality sleep time).

I also have to say that the galley was horrendously noisy. The FAs seemed to be clanking around plates, bowls, utensils, glasses, etc all through the night. It was particularly bad for me being in 1K, but even my wife back in 4K found it disturbingly loud. And same issue on the return in 2K/3K. I suspect that because nothing is served on trays, the FAs have to get everything out and put it all away individually, and there's a ton of work involved with that.

​​​​My wife also said that there was a steady stream of people coming up from PY to stretch their legs, which obviously adds to the noise and makes it more difficult to sleep. I don't know how much of that is just the FAs not enforcing people staying in their cabin and how much is the design with the tiny J cabin - most airlines have the J cabin taking up at least the space between L1 and L2, with a galley at L2, creating a more natural barrier.

The bottom line is that both of us got essentially no sleep, which was very disappointing. As good as the food was, I would much rather have a lower quality meal, served a lot more quickly, and get some good rest, than have an exquisite fine dining experience. If I didn't want to sleep, I could save thousands of dollars by flying PY and then spending a fraction of that to have an amazing meal on the ground.

I don't generally sleep on westbound TATLs, so with my noise-cancelling headphones on and watching the IFE or my own device and working, the return flight wasn't such an issue, but my wife wanted to sleep and she said the noise from the galley prevented her from getting any good rest.

Another drawback was the lack of air vents. Honestly, who the .... is ordering brand new planes without personal air vents? WS isn't the only airline doing it, but man does that drive me nuts. If the cabin is too cold for some, they can put on a sweater, use a blanket, etc, but nothing you can do if it's too hot and you don't have an air vent to adjust the temperature a bit. The YYC-CDG wasn't as bad as when I flew CX JFK-HKG a couple of months ago and they had it at about 28C, but it was still a bit too warm.

So as far as WS vs the competition, I'd say in many respects, they're doing very well. Seat, food quality, service, all very good. And I would happily choose them over BA or AC on those aspects. But if I'm flying TATL J, I want to be able to sleep, and WS is at massive disadvantage there. So for the time being, I'm likely to continue to prefer AC.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I see sleep as being crucial to a TATL J experience and as a result was disappointed.
YES. I couldn't agree with this more. Why don't more airlines get this?!? It's a problem on any overnight/redeye flight. I've had similar frustration with HNL-YYC overnight ... the service (and, well, the lack of 'subtlety' of the service) makes sleep so difficult. It shouldn't have to be a trade-off.

Service was excellent, albeit bordering on obsequious on the way over.
First off, full points for using the word "obsequious"!

This is a new WestJet problem, IMO. Since they changed 'Plus' to 'Premium', and now that they've rolled out Business, they seem to struggle with how much service is too much.

Some of WestJet's people think that "more service" or "more interaction" equals "better service". It doesn't. (I haven't yet experienced 787 in Business, but I've even seen this problem a few times in Premium on the 767.)

Good service is not constantly being in someone's face. Instead, like the St Regis Hotels' mantra, it's providing "personalized and anticipatory attention" to a person's needs. Be subtle, quiet, but attentive and anticipatory. Don't keep asking me if I want something, but instead just refill my glass when it's near empty. Quietly clear my meal setting when I'm done -- with a warm smile, but not necessarily a full conversation about the meal.

I hate to say this (since I've moved from AC to WS), but I've found that AC gets this right in their "pod cabin" on their widebodies. The Service Directors on those flights, in my experience, come across like a seasoned concierge in a five-star hotel ... rather than an overanxious waiter who's trying too hard. They pamper, rather than smother.

And from the 787 Business reviews that I've seen, it seems like they've been going overboard in trying to explain Business class and pods to their passengers. If that's sticking around, it's too much. Just because pods are new to WestJet does not mean that they're new to me. Again, be subtle and anticipate if I need help or seem like I'd be interested. Don't jump into a big "schpeel" about how the seat works. Instead, quietly ask if you can be of assistance when I'm adjusting my seat.

The food was excellent. Possibly the best overall meal I've had on an airplane, ever.

They now warn you about timing before pushback - they say it will take 2.5 hours, start to finish, if you have a full meal. Well, on YYC-CDG they gave that warning, not sure it was mentioned on the way back. But it's still way too long. Let's take YYC-CDG as an example. It's 8:45 block time. Let's say 15 minutes from pushback to takeoff when that 2.5 hour clock starts (I clarified with the FA). You're going to be done dinner with about 6 hours left in the flight. Then they start serving breakfast with 2 hours to touchdown.
Fantastic to hear about the food quality! That's great. I'm looking forward to experiencing it.

But totally agreed on the timing issue. They need to tighten up the meal service. And they need to push breakfast as close to touchdown as they can. Two hours prior to landing - for the pretty small J cabin - is far too much time ... cutting in to peoples' personal quiet/sleep time and forcing them to wake up earlier than they need to. Condense the breakfast service to a short time window, and just let everyone sleep/relax as long as possible before coming through with the morning service. It should be do-able. Even pushing it by 30 minutes (i.e. giving people an extra 30 minutes of sleep) by serving 90 minutes prior to touchdown would make a huge difference.

(If WS thinks it can't be done ... well ... back in the good old days - pre 9/11 - I recall that both AC and CP served breakfast to an entire aircraft - Economy and Business - on YYC-YVR flights! I don't recall what Y class got, but I used to love the hot, plated J breakfasts back then -- and frankly there aren't that many more J seats on the WS 787 than those narrowbodies had back then. It's do-able.)

... but my wife wanted to sleep and she said the noise from the galley prevented her from getting any good rest.
Again, airlines need to teach their people (1) many, many PAX on TATL and TPAC will want to sleep (in all cabin classes), and (2) just because crew needs to be awake and working doesn't mean that it's OK for their passengers to hear them working. Be as quiet as you can be, and be subtle.
greytop13 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:45 am

CDG>YYC

Hi all,
First-time poster, long-time reader. I'm a huge aviation fan and typically fly WestJet out of Saskatoon when needing to travel. Was in Europe for a few months this summer (13 flights with different airlines - yippee!) and decided to take the opportunity to fly back home through Paris via WestJet's new 787 on August 2nd. I booked in Premium, then upgraded to Business (J), seat 1K.

My experience:
I echo very close to what Adam Smith has said - especially being in the same seat. The galley was incredibly loud, and I could not get time to sleep either (not that I really had planned to, but the seat was comfortable enough to want to). Mealtime took about 2 hours - much better than what I have been seeing on this thread over the past couple of weeks. I believe I fully clocked in at 2 hours and 15 minutes, but that's negligible. The food was absolutely amazing, huge props to WestJet for that service. I think I had 6 WestJet Signature Cocktails, along with a few other drinks and some tea (not a huge drinker, I swear, but the WSC was just too good to pass up).

Although the food was good, I was very confused by the whole process - I've flown "Dine on Demand" before, and typically the FAs ask when I'd like to eat - what I thought WestJet's service was. However, the FA did not ask, and they simply served everyone as soon as they could. Absolutely okay with me, but that part of the service confused me.

The service was... weird? Like I felt as if I was flying on a brand new airline with some rumblings of WestJet here and there. The experience was good, but even when the FA lead got on the PA system, it honestly seemed as if it was their first time making announcements (lots of uh, um, etc.), however getting back to the old WestJet of trying to add some personal flair into the announcements - it just felt off.

The Seat
The seat is amazing - if I could fly this seat every time I travel, I would. The finishes are elegant, there is plenty of storage room, and you do feel like you're the only one aboard the plane. I flew over to LGW from YYZ in a 767 with WestJet, sitting in Premium, and I would definitely take the longer flight (YYC>LGW) next time if I got to enjoy the seats again. The Premium and Economy seats didn't look half bad either (my parents actually flew the inaugural LGW>YYC home from Europe a few months ago, and raved about the experience - the seats, the food, the staff - and I got some sweet WestJet socks out of the deal).

Improvements
My biggest complaint was the check-in area at CDG. I arrived from my hotel about 3.5 hours prior to my flight (14:10, arrived around 11) - and the check-in is in area 5, on a corner. I don't know if it was the Canadian politeness or what, but it seemed as if the entirety of the economy section was there 5 hours in advance waiting in line (mind you, they don't open the waiting area until 3 hours prior, meaning everyone was stretched throughout the hallways), and there was one (8.5"x11") sign marking the other line for guests in Premium, Business, or of status - which I figured there would be, but once I stood there, about 15 others realized that they were standing in the wrong line - just a weird set up. Also, I mentioned to about 20 different people that they needed to get their bag tags printed off - that the baggage area they were waiting in line for was only to drop off baggage - some got it, some held up the line when the crew at the counter told them they needed to go back and start over. I know the staff is undoubtedly contracted at CDG, but at least have one person telling people in line that they can speed up the process by printing off their tags at the machine.

That was the first flight I checked a bag on during my travels, and honestly it was smooth, was the first one off back home (YXE) and in good shape. No complaints, but it was a carry-on size so I definitely will just bring it on next time (I wanted to experience that Priority Baggage).

The lounge. The lounge needs to be changed at CDG. Such a weird set up at CDG having to go through passport control, then to the lounge, then go through security - never experienced that before, but that's not my complaint. The Icare lounge was... mediocre for the level of service WestJet wants to be perceived as providing (I'd think) - minimal hot food, a moderate selection of drinks (6 different spirits, 3 different kinds of pop, a coffee/hot beverage machine), and then cold cuts, pastries, and some bread for food. Having spent time in the KLM lounge at Amsterdam, Swiss Lounge in Zurich, and the Austrian Lounge in Vienna, I was not impressed. I understand those other locations are the main hub for each respective airline, but WestJet, you have to do better. Or create an alliance with KLM/Delta/Virgin Atlantic/Emirates so you all can pitch in together for better lounges (that's the dream).

Summary
All said and done, I was pretty impressed with WestJet's service on board - in the airport, not as much. I'd definitely fly the J class again if time & money permits (am actually a student here!). If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Also - definitely not the right place to plug this but I am searching for a business (airline/aviation/hospitality) to do a Co-op Work term from January - August 2020. If anyone has any connections (and not just to their next flight) or can point me in a direction, that would be great!

Cheers,
justabusinessstudent
greytop13 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:07 pm

We (me and Mrs. FlyerJ) just flew to CDG on the 787.

I was in Premium. She upgraded to the last available pod in Business.

First impressions: Wow. Great job by WestJet and their 787 team!! Those planes are beautiful, and the subtle touches and special little design features are incredible.

My Premium experience: Really nice. Fantastic service levels, and incredibly professional. Between that and the features of the seats and cabin ... it frankly feels nothing like the regular WestJet that I’m used to. Wow! (The experience exceeded Premium on the 767 as well.). Finished eating well before 10:00 Mountain, and able to (try to) sleep then. Then, a nice little continental breakfast about 90 minutes out from CDG. The cabin was great, with 2 dedicated lavs for 28 (I think) passengers. 2 FAs gave constant attention. Meals were nice, “domestic J” style and quantity... which was more than adequate.

Mrs FlyerJ’s Business experience: I’ll start by pointing out that her main reason for going in Business was that she really, really wanted and needed sleep. She reported that the pod was fantastic (although probably wouldn’t be for taller people), and that the service levels and attentiveness were off the charts. But. Here’s the “but”. Long after I had already dozed off in back the Premium cabin, she was still waiting for dinner. She eventually got to her main course, but gave up there and told the crew to not bother with the remainder of service, as she didn’t want to sit up all night waiting for what seemed like the world’s slowest dinner service. The photos she showed me were incredible: beautifully plated dishes that looked magazine-worthy. But they just weren’t worth the wait — given that she also wanted to sleep. She enjoyed the experience, but felt - as a result of the timing and resulting sleep deprivation - that it just wasn’t worth the money. On an overnight flight, she said it’s not worth it. (Daytime, yes. Overnight and expecting to sleep, no.)

Last edited by FlyerJ; Sep 24, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:49 am

Another review of Business on the 787. This one's from ThePointsGuy.com which (IMHO!) is one of the best travel blogs out there.

Promising start: A review of WestJet’s business class on the 787-9 from London to Calgary
by Nick Ellis

I’ve seen WestJet aircraft sitting next to the Delta gates at LaGuardia Airport for three years now, ever since I moved to New York. But I never paid much attention to Canada’s other large airline. This year, though, that’s changed in a big way.

First, the carrier has gotten much closer with Delta, my carrier of choice, and thus has provided me with another option for collecting Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars. Second, the airline has begun receiving brand-new Boeing 787 Dreamliners, equipped with a very competitive-looking business-class product that it flies between Canada and Europe.

Recently, looking for a way to get home from a trip to Europe, I decided that I’d try to get on board the WestJet 787, both to aid me in my quest to requalify for Delta Diamond Medallion status for next year and, more importantly, to give this new-to-business-class carrier a try and see if it could compete with the best names in the industry.

Short answer: Yes, it sure can.
It's a very good - and thorough - review.

Here's the link to the full article:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/wes...usiness-class/
purrplepeonies likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:36 am

I'll toss in my 2 points worth.
YYC-AMS a couple weeks ago.

Boarding in YYC. Zone 1 line was policed very well.
Amenity kit had no toothbrush. The usual socks, eye shades, ear plugs were included.
16 seats in J. 2 f/a's dedicated to the cabin.
A better pax to crew ratio than competitors with large cabins.
Meal service was completed in 90 minutes.
Maybe that's because the choice is dessert or cheese, but not both.
I ordered a beef dish. To much oil was used. Not much flavour.
I had about 4.5 hours sleep.
Wife didn't sleep at all. Complained the cabin was to warm.
Breakfast was served 90 minutes before landing.
Passengers who woke up closer to top of descent were served when they woke up.

Pictures in the meal thread.
WR Cage, tcook052, arf04 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.