Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet future B787 flights to LHR over LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet future B787 flights to LHR over LGW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

Not me, I avoid LGW at all costs. LGW is basically London B class airport. Just As Westjet avoids YYZ at the start, they will end up in LHR.
The economic case for making that move would probably see the business traveller shoulder all that cost. As about 90% of people on WestJet flights are not business orientated or price insensitive, they are shopping mainly on price, so whether the destination is LGW or LHR, the ticket price will need to be the same to remain competitive. This means the amortized slot costs of about $80 per return ticket will be need to be borne by the 10%, likely to the tune of about $1000 higher business class ticket price for LHR vs LGW and $200 per premium economy ticket, keeping the Econo and Basic tickets at the same price.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:17 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
You, like James, are not going to be flying WestJet anyway even if they fly into LHR ;-)
How do you know? Well you are wrong. I had over 20 flights with WS last year.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:20 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aerobod
The economic case for making that move would probably see the business traveller shoulder all that cost. As about 90% of people on WestJet flights are not business orientated or price insensitive, they are shopping mainly on price, so whether the destination is LGW or LHR, the ticket price will need to be the same to remain competitive. This means the amortized slot costs of about $80 per return ticket will be need to be borne by the 10%, likely to the tune of about $1000 higher business class ticket price for LHR vs LGW and $200 per premium economy ticket, keeping the Econo and Basic tickets at the same price.
That’s the same issues of avoiding YYZ at the beginning, but YYZ is now their second busiest airport. Time will tell.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by 5mm
That’s the same issues of avoiding YYZ at the beginning, but YYZ is now their second busiest airport. Time will tell.
Indeed, time will tell.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
My neighbor mentioned this morning that WestJet tried and failed to obtain slots at LHR.

So that is an unfortunate sign of where their thinking is at.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:27 pm

There may be other reasons why WS applied for LHR slots for summer 2020.....
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:04 pm

Making a point to the competition bureau.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 5mm

Not the same issue. The airport in Hamilton is in a different city and adds significant time to get into downtown Toronto. I have had meeting in downtown Hamilton and the Hamilton airport is fine for that. It is not for a downtown Toronto meeting.

In the case of London both airports are equally good for getting into downtown London. The fact Heathrow has some special status symbol among airlines executives is irreverent to most business passengers.

Heathrow has been talking about a third runway for a long time. That would be the time to do the shift if ever. At that time they may be able to get slots for free or close to free.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
  • Both airports have good train service
  • I've used the Gatwick Express and I would recommend it
  • I find the immigration lines generally shorter at Gatwick, but both airports can be brutal at times
  • If you qualify for the Heathrow Arrivals Lounge then that is definitely a huge plus
  • Heathrow is a newer and nicer airport so the lounges and dining options are better
lsquare and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
When you're talking about getting to LHR & LGW by public transit, each has its advantages/disadvantages, depending on where in London you're coming from or trying to get to. Everyone's going to have a different view on that. However, if you need to get to/from the airport by car/cab/mini-cab, LGW is a complete disaster from most parts of Central London. When I used to live in London and had young kids (and all the baggage that accompanies long-haul travel with young kids), I avoided LGW like the plague. Sometimes you just need to drive to an airport. Also, the Gatwick Express sucks big time if you need to take large luggage with you, and sucks even more if you're travelling with one or more strollers. Heathrow Express train doors are level with the platforms, and have significantly more space dedicated to luggage storage.

LGW is fine for business travel and weekend getaways. It's grungy and tacky but if you're travelling on business or for the weekend you're trying to minimize your time at the airport anyways. If you need to bring more than 1 piece of luggage and/or more than 1 kid, LHR is the way to go, though, and in my mind worth every penny in terms of the typically higher fares. When we moved to Canada I very begrudgingly shifted my flying from BA to AC -- I would have much preferred switching to WS, and their choice of LGW was the main reason that I didn't.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
Also, the Gatwick Express sucks big time if you need to take large luggage with you, and sucks even more if you're travelling with one or more strollers. Heathrow Express train doors are level with the platforms, and have significantly more space dedicated to luggage storage.

Spoken like a pro.
SuperCargo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
When you're talking about getting to LHR & LGW by public transit, each has its advantages/disadvantages, depending on where in London you're coming from or trying to get to. Everyone's going to have a different view on that. However, if you need to get to/from the airport by car/cab/mini-cab, LGW is a complete disaster from most parts of Central London. When I used to live in London and had young kids (and all the baggage that accompanies long-haul travel with young kids), I avoided LGW like the plague. Sometimes you just need to drive to an airport. Also, the Gatwick Express sucks big time if you need to take large luggage with you, and sucks even more if you're travelling with one or more strollers. Heathrow Express train doors are level with the platforms, and have significantly more space dedicated to luggage storage.

LGW is fine for business travel and weekend getaways. It's grungy and tacky but if you're travelling on business or for the weekend you're trying to minimize your time at the airport anyways. If you need to bring more than 1 piece of luggage and/or more than 1 kid, LHR is the way to go, though, and in my mind worth every penny in terms of the typically higher fares. When we moved to Canada I very begrudgingly shifted my flying from BA to AC -- I would have much preferred switching to WS, and their choice of LGW was the main reason that I didn't.
Oh man!...I read this and realized how just little I miss travelling with kids.

The Horror!
SuperCargo, smallmj and jkordyback like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
LGW is fine for business travel and weekend getaways. It's grungy and tacky but if you're travelling on business or for the weekend you're trying to minimize your time at the airport anyways.
Now you're speaking my language. I have a standard rollaboard, a briefcase, my raincoat and that's it baby - no checked bags, no load of kids, don't care about lounges or duty free or airport dining options. When I arrive in London I just want to get to the hotel and on the return, I just want to get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.