Wiki Posts
Search

lounge access.....

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
lounge access.....

I am looking at flying with my son in Bus class on a round trip YYZ-YWG in July. Much better prices than AC.

However, in Bus class does WestJet allow no-cost lounge access prior to departure at YYZ and at YWG? Cannot find definite answers. The Westjet website says yes there is lounge access for 787 Bus class pax, but YYZ-YWG service is on 737 aircraft. In addition, I have no WestJet FF standing, and neither does my son.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
WS does not offer business class on that route.

They do have Plus, which is a premium economy product. IMHO, it's a far better value than AC's business class for a flight of that duration. But it does not come with included lounge access.

You can visit the Plaza Premium lounge in YYZ for a daily fee (I think it's around $30). I'm not sure what lounge availability is in YWG, perhaps others can answer that.

AC's business class product includes access to their Maple Leaf Lounges in both airports. Personally, I don't feel it's anywhere near worth the much higher ticket cost. But that's just me.

Last edited by Symmetre; May 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old May 20, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
I am looking at flying with my son in Bus class on a round trip YYZ-YWG in July. Much better prices than AC.

However, in Bus class does WestJet allow no-cost lounge access prior to departure at YYZ and at YWG? Cannot find definite answers. The Westjet website says yes there is lounge access for 787 Bus class pax, but YYZ-YWG service is on 737 aircraft. In addition, I have no WestJet FF standing, and neither does my son.

Thanks for any advice.
The current offering on 737s is not business class it's premium economy and it does not give you lounge access.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are in 'Premium', not business, which does not offer lounge access
Old May 20, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: skyteam
Plus is no longer , the cabin is now called Premium cabin .
Old May 20, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. For the price difference I can treat my son to a bar and food (or the Lounge mentioned), and still be ahead a few $ hundred.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Plus is no longer , the cabin is now called Premium cabin .
Hey man, I still refer to the Rogers Centre in Toronto as the Skydome. Same & same.
smallmj likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:38 pm

Thanks for the clarification. For the price difference I can treat my son to a bar and food (or the Lounge mentioned), and still be ahead a few $ hundred.
Good choice!
WS Premium (formerly Plus) is quite disappointing. WS with its origin as a discount airline does not appear to know how to provide "premium" service.
I flew YYZ-YVR-YYZ in Plus last year:
(1) No priority check-in. No priority handling of checked baggage.
(2) Same economy seat with the middle seat blocked. Slightly more leg room.
(3) Cold meal in a box.
(4) No segregated cabin or toilet. You share with other economy passengers and they would routinely loiter into the Plus area. There was no partition.
Return flight from YVR delayed 3 hours. No push notice on the WS app. No agent could be found around the gate. Other WS agents at other gates didn't know anything and I was told to check the WS website or call reservation. They were worse than AC. With AC, I at least could purchase On My Way.
That was first and last trip on WS Plus (Premium).
5mm likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Clipper801
(1) No priority check-in. No priority handling of checked baggage.
That's changed. They now have priority check-in at all major stations, and priority baggage handling is being rolled out right now.

Premium cabin passengers get priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, and - in the works - priority baggage handling.

They only premium airport service that WS PE customers don't get (compared to AC J class) is lounge access. But, as mentioned above, you can pay for lounge access and still come out ahead.

(2) Same economy seat with the middle seat blocked. Slightly more leg room.
On most 737s, yes. But only for now.

Their transition to 2x2 in the front cabin was on track, but delayed by the MAX grounding. The new 2x2 "Premium Economy" cabins on WestJet are every bit as nice as the 2x2 on AC/UA/DL/etc 2x2 Business class cabins.

WestJet's grounded MAXs are now all configured with 2x2 seating. Once they're back in the air, those other narrowbodies that still have the blocked middle seat iwill be reconfigured pretty quickly ... especially since that will probably be the slower post-summer/pre-Xmas travel season.

Soon enough, all of their NA 737 fleet will have a PE cabin that's on par with or perhaps better than other carriers' NA narrowbody J cabins

(3) Cold meal in a box.
Also changing as they evolve from the old "Plus" product to the new "Premium" product.

See the previous thread about the new 737 Premium meal offering ... they're rolling out a true, J-class meal for their PE cabin. It's currently served on routes between their hubs (YYC, YYZ, YVR) only, but coming soon to all.

(And the OP was asking about YYZ-YWG. It's not like AC is serving filet mignon with fresh baked cookies there anyway.)

(4) No segregated cabin or toilet. You share with other economy passengers and they would routinely loiter into the Plus area. There was no partition.
Also changing, as the front cabin configuration changes.

Today, they do allow passengers from Y access to the front lav to pee, but have them queue up starting at row 4. (And, come on, it's not really a hardship if the occasional person needs to go to the bathroom.)

That was first and last trip on WS Plus (Premium).
Even though I've grumbled here about the relatively less polished service level compared to other airlines' front cabins, and the Plus/Premium food offering has been a bit of a gong show up until now, I'm a fan of WestJet's Premium.

No, it's not AC J. But, frankly, it's close enough for me. And it also costs a lot less -- and gives me exactly what I need. I want extra space and priority services. I'm not looking for fine dining on a cross-Canada flight, nor do I get myself wound up if a plebe from the back needs to pee while the service carts are blocking the aisle. The WS product is an outstanding value, and gives me exactly what I need.
Arthurrs, Symmetre and greytop13 like this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; May 20, 2019 at 8:56 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
No, it's not AC J. But, frankly, it's close enough for me. And it also costs a lot less -- and gives me exactly what I need. I want extra space and priority services. I'm not looking for fine dining on a cross-Canada flight, nor do I get myself wound up if a plebe from the back needs to pee while the service carts are blocking the aisle. The WS product is an outstanding value, and gives me exactly what I need.
Great to read your point of view...^ .. Looks like booking these flights for my son and myself is going to be a for-sure deal.

As you and I both realize, my son and I can both have pretty good food and drink somewhere at YYZ and YWG before boarding, and have plenty of cash in my pocket. The *A miles from AC in Business class won't be worth it as I have enough to maintain status in my *A FF program (not Aeroplan as I have given up on that FF plan).

Thank you.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:59 am

Just as an FYI, this thread on the AC forum may be of interest ... long-standing complaints about the cleanliness and chronic disrepair of various elements in AC lounges.

Im not saying Plaza Premium lounges are necessarily any better. Only that no airport lounge is that much better than a good meal in town. They tend to be the most over-rated perk of premium travel.

Ongoing MLL Disrepair and Uncleanliness
Old May 21, 2019, 5:26 pm

I have flown this route and got the hot omelette, and other times got nothing more than the dreaded cheese plate. Perhaps time of day makes a difference.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:01 pm

Thanks for any advice.
I still think it's crazy that WS doesn't include lounge access when flying their most premium cabin on their main routes unless it's on their new Dreamliners. For example, when flying Premium from YYC to say YVR or really anywhere it boggles my mind that you can't get into their own lounge for free. The only options are to have status, pay, or have PP.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by mathemagic
I still think it's crazy that WS doesn't include lounge access when flying their most premium cabin on their main routes unless it's on their new Dreamliners. For example, when flying Premium from YYC to say YVR or really anywhere it boggles my mind that you can't get into their own lounge for free. The only options are to have status, pay, or have PP.
....and there actually has to be a lounge in that airport....which is what they are lacking. It's going to take them time and $$$ to fix that.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:49 am

Great to read your point of view...^ .. Looks like booking these flights for my son and myself is going to be a for-sure deal.

As you and I both realize, my son and I can both have pretty good food and drink somewhere at YYZ and YWG before boarding, and have plenty of cash in my pocket. The *A miles from AC in Business class won't be worth it as I have enough to maintain status in my *A FF program (not Aeroplan as I have given up on that FF plan).

Thank you.
what are you going to do about getting economy class seats on WS premium though? it's a european J class experience meaning same cramped economy seating width and pitch with middle blocked which is even worse than having it empty as empty will at least give you more width

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.