FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Bumped from Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1961962-bumped-flight.html)

suncarl9999 Jun 6, 2019 2:23 pm

Flight number was
-->westjet 2254 yyc to CUN at 8am on March 22.

Is there any way we can tell which plane was booked back in November 2018 to fly this route???

Like I said before, we checked the week before the flight and they indicated it was not a MAX 8 plane on that route so our flight would be ok... then the following week a couple days before, kicked off...

robsaw Jun 7, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 30930067)
If the plane was the same then WS did something wrong and you should write in to them and seek a resolution and advise that you will write to the CTA if a suitable resolution is not forthcoming. You had a contract to be on that plane and they broke that contract (if there was a down gauge of aircraft things might be looked at differently).

There is no contractual term for a specific plane type.

robsaw Jun 7, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by suncarl9999 (Post 31177359)
Flight number was
-->westjet 2254 yyc to CUN at 8am on March 22.

Is there any way we can tell which plane was booked back in November 2018 to fly this route???

Like I said before, we checked the week before the flight and they indicated it was not a MAX 8 plane on that route so our flight would be ok... then the following week a couple days before, kicked off...

773-700/800/MAX8 have all previously been used on that route, so hard to say without having specific historical data. However, it doesn't really matter what aircraft was specifically scheduled for that flight - the aircraft type is not part of the contract of carriage and with the MAX8 issues multiple knock-on schedule/aircraft changes have and will happen. A resultant overbooking situation can happen due to those changes and WestJet can proactively rebook.

YYCguy Jun 7, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw (Post 31180271)
773-700/800/MAX8 have all previously been used on that route, so hard to say without having specific historical data. However, it doesn't really matter what aircraft was specifically scheduled for that flight - the aircraft type is not part of the contract of carriage and with the MAX8 issues multiple knock-on schedule/aircraft changes have and will happen. A resultant overbooking situation can happen due to those changes and WestJet can proactively rebook.

I like the word “proactive” here. Instead of a guest finding out a day before or on the day of the flight that there’s been a change, it’s refreshing to see an airline taking a proactive approach well in advance.