FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Is there any way to search NON BASIC fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1961268-there-any-way-search-non-basic-fares.html)

smilee Mar 17, 2019 10:40 am

Is there any way to search NON BASIC fares

Hello, call me one who does not like to book basic fares and the restrictions that come with them. However, also call me cheap and flexible where I sometimes can choose different dates/times when I book. However, to find the lowest "regular" fare, you need to select the basic fare on Westjet.com and see what the price for Econ fare is.

Anyone have any tips for searching non-basic fares?

ricktoronto Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

ExpertFlyer shows prices for all fare basis codes.

It's hard to understand the issue. You have already found a way and just want a faster way? Or you literally cannot see the more expensive fares which would be the ones WS wants to sell you. Flex Y or whatever they call it. I can't imagine on WS website the higher revenue fares are not front and centre. Though I use a TA and fly Flex Plus or I guess the new J if they offer it. The TA has all the fares too.

smilee Mar 19, 2019 11:06 pm

I guess, what I am looking for is a quick way to search fares from AAA-BBB and see what the lowest non "E" or "BASIC" fare is that day.

I can't see a way on Westjet.com or say Travelocity.com or other online booking site to exclude Westjet "E" fares when I am searching for how much a ticket YYJ-YEG is on May 4th for example. Or even to see the calendar but excluding BASIC fares.

You would think westjet would like to encourage the buy-up to "L K T X S N Q H" fares. At present the only quick way I see is selecting the date and clicking on a flight to see what the specific up-sell to non-basic fare would be.

ricktoronto Mar 23, 2019 11:13 am

I just did that route on that date. It shows only economy and premium by selecting the date on the outbound. Press the view button on economy and it shows all three fare types and prices and what you get for each. Ditto for premium.

I can't imagine it too much easier because putting 5 fares on the result page would be a mess (and some routes more than 5).

There's a select button under each of those fares, BTW.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...caee9b4581.png

smilee Mar 23, 2019 11:38 am

Yes, in your example one needs to select a fare Economy $118, then press another button to see how much a non-basic fare is.

i just want to see the different fares without needing to navigate and open each one to see what the fare is.

ie - like all the us airlines display fares with a separate column for Basic Economy Premiun without the economy being hidden by only showi g the basic

ricktoronto Mar 25, 2019 1:25 pm

You don't have to press the $118 fare, just press the button for economy which is all economy. I think since there are three of the Y fares plus two Plus fares and then there may be two business fares there is not enough space for up to 7 fares, all shown at once. To have a readable web page.

And I just pressed the date on the calendar (not economy etc., just the outbound date), and got these two giant buttons to select Y or PE (and I assume there'd be a 3rd button for J).

I can't think it needs to be much easier.

lsquare Mar 26, 2019 4:00 pm

One thing that I noticed on Google Flights lately is that pretty much all of the lowest economy fares displayed are basic fares. It's pretty annoying as the site doesn't make it obvious that it's basic. Yet, for DL flights, I see the word basic displayed with the results.

This is slightly off-topic, but how does one find the booking class for the WS fares?

ricktoronto Mar 27, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 30933024)
One thing that I noticed on Google Flights lately is that pretty much all of the lowest economy fares displayed are basic fares. It's pretty annoying as the site doesn't make it obvious that it's basic. Yet, for DL flights, I see the word basic displayed with the results.

This is slightly off-topic, but how does one find the booking class for the WS fares?

Someone posted it here recently if you mean fare bases (e.g. J/ D/ I/ C for business, Y for full fare economy and such as used by many airlines).

The first post said they used J for both business and economy but it was corrected to say J for business and Y for economy. There are not that many posts here so you should find it quick enough.

Error 601 Mar 27, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 30928483)
I can't think it needs to be much easier.

There is a system we use to order parts, and in your profile there is a menu labelled "Don't Show Me" and from there you can choose from a list of about forty categories of products and characteristics you want hidden from you by default. I don't care if something is GSA scheduled and I never need to see foreign or naval electrical equipment.

I think what he wants is a check box that says "Don't show me Basic Economy fares" and I would like that too.

ricktoronto Mar 28, 2019 8:49 am

Pressing one button and then not looking at the basic fare on the left is too much? Well maybe they will change it but I doubt that. Vs. your thousands of parts we're talking 3 fares seen with the press of one button.

Error 601 Mar 28, 2019 6:25 pm

The issue is the fares shown on the calendar often reflect basic economy fares, which makes that calendar just as useless as the Member Exclusive one.

They're placing useless information between me and the more expensive fare I want to buy.

ricktoronto Mar 31, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30941027)
The issue is the fares shown on the calendar often reflect basic economy fares, which makes that calendar just as useless as the Member Exclusive one.

They're placing useless information between me and the more expensive fare I want to buy.

I think if they just left a price off the calendar but had a symbol showing it has some sort of availability, then they would satisfy "basic"ally one person, which is you. I think the bulk of WS passengers are extremely price focused while you are not, and nor am I. But they have to put something in the tiny calendar box to encourage a click through to seeing all fares.

You know the system and the miniscula of total clicks is not a worthwhile fight. Not when they are selling more on price than on amenities. If people had common sense and priced out the add-ons and such, these lowball fares and spin-off LCCs would barely continue to exist.

But I read a post not long ago where someone went through a lot of hoopla on Southwest to save $4 on a ticket so I guess to some $4 is enough to waste 30 minutes, and those types will want to see $119 fares not $519 fares in the little box.

I book only refundable fares through a travel agent so I do not see the calendar at all, so you could let someone else's fingers do the walking that way.

Error 601 Mar 31, 2019 11:41 pm

Oh yeah, I am sure there isn't a living soul who might wish to search for Premium or Business fares by date. We're talking about a drop-down menu with four options.

Basic
Economy
Premium
Business

ricktoronto Apr 2, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30951222)
Oh yeah, I am sure there isn't a living soul who might wish to search for Premium or Business fares by date. We're talking about a drop-down menu with four options.

Basic
Economy
Premium
Business

You have a drop down menu even more economical with basic part of economy (which it is) and while I did not look for a flight with Business because there are hardly any, I assume there are three drop downs once you click on the date.

You are the outlier for their clients. They are price focused so showing three economy fares makes sense to the majority of people who are shopping price first and everything else dead last.

You're making a new type of fare saying basic is not economy when it is, just a lousy cheap one.

Error 601 Apr 5, 2019 2:34 pm

Somehow Delta has this all figured out, while WestJet who can't seem to figure out a lot of things hasn't.