Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by AltaBound
Recall usually means bring it in for some modifications the next time you are in for service. Ban is park your car and you are not allowed to drive until it is fixed. The MAX is in the Ban category.

I cannot remember a vehicle ever being banned from the road. There are probably a few times where it should have happened (Ford and Firestone comes to mind) but didn't.
Not sure if this qualifies as a "ban", but I had a Kia Optima that was recalled a couple of years ago due to possible engine defects created during manufacturing. The dealership told me they would have to inspect my car to determine if the engine was one of those affected by the defect, and if it was, they would not return the car to me until they could replace the engine which might take 2-3 weeks depending on parts availability. Fortunately, it was not affected.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by cedric
Well - kind of. You see safety-related recalls on cars (eg airbags, fires, etc).
It's not the same thing. Whether it's an Audi A4 or a Toyota Camry, I feel pretty confident that in a 6 month span, you'll have more car accidents in those two vehicles or any vehicle for that matter than a 737 Max 8. The reality is that a lot of government decisions are driven by politics rather than facts. I'm not suggesting that the Canadian government is wrong for grounding the plane, but using that logic, the Toyota Corolla should have been banned from the road when it was discovered that it had some sort of issues with the brakes. I think at least 16 accidents were linked to the issue. So it's a double standard here.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
It seems Westjet still has faith in the Max: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...068538?cmp=rss
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:09 am

From the Globe & Mail. I thought this response from WS to a Swoop customer was pretty poor:

...Jeff Overgaard of Delta, B.C., is another vacationer whose plans were upended by the 737 Max groundings. WestJet told the school teacher, his wife and two children their return flight from Mexico would be delayed by five days. The new travel itinerary, in an e-mail from WestJet seen by The Globe and Mail, meant Mr. Overgaard would have to find and pay for four extra nights in Puerto Vallarta and one night in Regina. This would have cost an additional $2,000 for the hotel stays, plus time off work.

“Being rerouted, I get that that happens, but five nights is kind of a big deal,” Mr. Overgaard said in an interview. “Especially when four of them are in Mexico over spring break without any reservations or anything. We cancelled. I couldn’t take the extra days off because that would be without pay.”..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ter-grounding/
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Wow, so it's been reported on CBC that WS' Max planes don't have all of the extra safety features installed. Only AC opted to purchase all of the extra. I wonder how WS' public relations department is going to respond to that headline?
Originally Posted by 5mm
WS really went cheap. Anything to save a buck! First buy cheap aircraft, than cut the options.
Not accurate, and frankly those comments aren’t fair when there’s so much uninformed speculation and hyperbole going around about those aircraft right now.

Neither Ethiopian nor LionAir purchased additional safety options related to MCAS.

Both WestJet and Air Canada did.

(WestJet took one upgrade, AC took two.)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busine...anes-1.4346085

Air Canada, WestJet purchased safety option reportedly missing on crashed planes

TORONTO -- Canada's two largest airlines have at least one of the optional safety features on their Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft that were reportedly lacking on the jets that crashed in Ethiopia and Indonesia.

Air Canada and WestJet Airlines both say they purchased disagree lights used by the aircraft's software system during flight to avert stalls.

The New York Times has reported the Ethiopian Airlines and Lion Air jets involved in recent fatal crashes were not equipped with angle of attack indicators and disagree lights.

The safety features are not standard on the aircraft and are offered by Boeing as upgrades.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Not accurate, and frankly those comments aren’t fair when there’s so much uninformed speculation and hyperbole going around about those aircraft right now.

Neither Ethiopian nor LionAir purchased additional safety options related to MCAS.

(WestJet took one upgrade, AC took two.)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busine...anes-1.4346085

Read my post again. I was accurate with my statement when I said WS didn't purchased all of the safety features for their Max planes. Only AC did.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:55 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Well WS just went half A$$, I’m guessing to save money.
So, are WS Max’s not as safe as AC’s? one article I was reading said yes. The article also said that Max’s bought without booth safety options maybe be grounded longer.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:00 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
It seems Westjet still has faith in the Max: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...068538?cmp=rss
I think most airlines will say this. It would be very expensive for them to change directions. The big question will be if the public will have faith in the Max.
J. Leslie likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

Well WS just went half A$$, I’m guessing to save money.
So, are WS Max’s not as safe as AC’s? one article I was reading said yes. The article also said that Max’s bought without booth safety options maybe be grounded longer.
The AoA (Angle of Attack) sensor disagree light is the most important, WestJet has this. The AoA readout may be useful, but can also add to pilot workload and can add to confusion if a sensor has failed, better to know from the disagree light that AoA information and any system that uses it should be treated as suspect.

AoA Information is not needed to manually fly the aircraft safely, it is generally used by automated systems to understand the flight envelope under different flight conditions, but the pilots fly the aircraft based on speed, wing configuration, power setting and artificial horizon. AoA limits are complex and based on Mach number, yaw, turbulence and other aerodynamic settings such as flaps and slats, so the aircraft shouldn’t be flown to a fixed AoA number.
MSPeconomist and tecate55 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Just did a search for my late May flight YYZ-YHZ-CDG and they’re now showing 737-700s and 737-800s, and only premium seats remaining. The MAX has been scrubbed from the route.

Pricing also tripled since my original booking - premium seats available only.

At 2640 nautical miles, YHZ-CDG is 300 miles shorter than the longest scheduled 738 route (MVD-PTY). It should be no problem for those going eastbound, but could necessitate a fuel stop going westbound if the jetstream doesn't agree. Especially since that 2941 nmi route doesn't need to carry extra over-water or ETOPS equipment. Gander anyone? It's entirely on the way.

I guess WestJet has downgauged this route from the MAX that it was originally scheduled for.

Anyone else know any MAX routes that have been changed?

How far has Westjet’s grounding been of the MAX?

Last edited by tecate55; Mar 28, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
Is WestJet sending the MAX in to be reconfigured for the new premium seats while they're grounded? Seems better than just having them sit there doing nothing, only to have to bring them in for a recongif in a few months' time.

______

Update: spotted the answer in the Premium thread right after posting. Sounds like two are in KFC now, likely more to follow.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:38 am

As far as I can tell, this is the current status of the WS MAX fleet:

Aircraft with J seats from the factory:
C-FCTK in YYC since 12 Mar
C-FHCM in YYZ since 13 Mar
C-GAMQ in YYC since 13 Mar
C-GDDR in YYC since 14 Mar (may be in another city, conflicting info on different sites)

Aircraft with J seats upgraded already:
C-FRAX in YVR since 13 Mar
C-GEHF in YYC since 13 Mar

Aircraft in Kelowna, likely for J seat upgrade at KF Aero:
C-FNAX in YLW since 22 Mar
C-FNWD in YLW since 22 Mar
C-FRYV in YLW since 13 Mar
C-GRAX in YLW since 13 Mar
C-GXAX in YLW since 14 Mar

Other MAXs:
C-GCAM in YYC since 12 Mar
C-GZSG in YHM since 13 Mar (may be in another city, conflicting info on different sites, KF Aero also have a maintenance facility here)

JasYHZ and tecate55 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tecate55
Just did a search for my late May flight YYZ-YHZ-CDG and they’re now showing 737-700s and 737-800s, and only premium seats remaining. The MAX has been scrubbed from the route.

At 2640 nautical miles, YHZ-CDG is 300 miles shorter than the longest scheduled 738 route (MVD-PTY). It should be no problem for those going eastbound, but could necessitate a fuel stop going westbound if the jetstream doesn't agree. Especially since that 2941 nmi route doesn't need to carry extra over-water or ETOPS equipment. Gander anyone? It's entirely on the way.

I guess WestJet has downgauged this route from the MAX that it was originally scheduled for.

Checking out my mid-July YYT-YHZ-LGW flight, it's still showing as a MAX. And is no more expensive that when I booked.

As for Westbound fuel stops, in cases of exceptionally strong headwinds, AC has stopped its LHR-YYT flight at Shannon for a top-up before heading across the pond. May WJ would do the same.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tecate55

It looks like have they switched the YHZ-LGW to 737-800 for all of May and June. We are booked in August and it still shows the plane as a Max 8.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by gilsan
It looks like have they switched the YHZ-LGW to 737-800 for all of May and June. We are booked in August and it still shows the plane as a Max 8.
Both WestJet and Air Canada seem to have settled on 1 July as the earliest MAX 8s will be back in the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.