Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just got an email from Swoop reminding customers that they don't fly the Max, only 737-800.

As you may have heard, Transport Canada has grounded all Boeing 737 MAX series aircraft until further notice as a precautionary measure, given the recent events involving this model.

Swoop does not operate Boeing 737 MAX aircraft. Our fleet consists solely of Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft, which have been safely flying for many years.

Travellers flying with Swoop or thinking of booking with Swoop can be assured that their flights will not be affected by Transport Canada’s decision to ground the Boeing 737 MAX and can travel safely and confidently on our Boeing 737-800 NG aircraft.

Explore on Canada!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
tcook052, Fiordland and tecate55 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Interesting write-up from two anonymous pilots in The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...pilots/584941/
AltaBound and greytop13 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:32 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smallmj
Just got an email from Swoop reminding customers that they don't fly the Max, only 737-800.
Its sad how far the 737 max has fallen in WS eyes. Not to long ago, WS were bragging about this new aircraft and about how it was flying it’s new colours.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

Its sad how far the 737 max has fallen in WS eyes. Not to long ago, WS were bragging about this new aircraft and about how it was flying it’s new colours.
Where has it been reported and/or quoted about Westjet’s disappointment and discouragement in the media?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:47 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYCguy

Where has it been reported and/or quoted about Westjet’s disappointment and discouragement in the media?
By posting that swoop doesn’t fly the 737 max.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

What’s wrong with that? Swoop flies the 737-800 and pax who don’t know better could easily confuse that with the 737-Max-800. I don’t see anything wrong with informing people that it is a different aircraft type, otherwise they’d likely be flooded with calls about people wanting to cancel/change/etc.

IMHO they’d have been irresponsible not to point out the difference.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

if you follow Flyswoop on Facebook and Twitter, this statement was put out by Swoop globally to try to allay the repeated questions from passengers whether Swoop flies the MAX, sometimes multiple times per hour. It was becoming comical how the same question was being asked over and over, with posters not bothering to check previous postings or the prominent statement Swoop had already posted in various places.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

Mischaracterization of the day award.for that interpretation of a simple public clarification notice.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 5mm

The 737 max has fallen in many peoples eyes, both inside and outside of WS. It is going to take time and a lot of work by Boeing to address these problems and build up that trust again.

Yes, WS has stopped bragging about the new aircraft. It would be in bad taste and certainty not useful to be bragging about owning the 737 max until this gets resolved and the problems are corrected. Once that happens things will be back to normal.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by aerobod

AC has been pretty good at rebooking, too. I’m doing IT work for them in the Ops area at the moment and they have been quite proactive in using their analytics to try and optimize fleet utilization. My own flight tonight was cancelled but I was efficiently rebooked on to one an hour earlier.
Good to hear. Now if they would just answer the phone when I call !! I had to rebook last Saturday (before the MAX grounding) to avoid the snowstorm in DEN . It took three attempts and two hours on hold to get it done. But it turned out well - I got out on time, but my original flight was cancelled.

I haven't seen any complaints about WS's phone service, so I assume it's better. Good for them.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
WS has only substituted for the MAX up to 31st Mar. but does it really believe the ban will be lifted by then? I think the chances of the Oilers making the playoffs are higher than MAX getting airborne in the next 2 weeks but that's merely MHO.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
WS has only substituted for the MAX up to 31st Mar. but does it really believe the ban will be lifted by then? I think the chances of the Oilers making the playoffs are higher than MAX getting airborne in the next 2 weeks but that's merely MHO.
I don’t think you will see more than about a two week sliding window for changes until there is some certainty on when the MAXs will be back in service. The disruption to operations, juggling of maintenance windows, lease aircraft availability and advanced guest change notification all have to be taken into consideration - too advanced change time reduces flexibility, likely leading to a higher number of cancellations rather than shuffling of the fleet to move as many people as possible.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
​​​​Issued by WestJet this morning (Monday 3/18) via Twitter:

We will continue to be unrelenting in providing nothing less than 100 per cent assurance to all our travelling guests in processes, procedures and any further required training before the 737 MAX once again take to Canadian skies.

This seems to hint that the Max8 isn’t making a quick return - even with news of a Boeing software update to MCAS coming in the next ten days. It sounds like they know they’ll need to do a lot to coax passengers back on board.

(And on a slight tangent, who would have written this? It’s like a thesaurus was dropped into a blender to build one big, long sentence. It goes way past even typical “corporate speak” ... bordering on plain ol’ awful grammar.)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

(And on a slight tangent, who would have written this? It’s like a thesaurus was dropped into a blender to build one big, long sentence. It goes way past even typical “corporate speak” ... bordering on plain ol’ awful grammar.)
A lawyer.
Symmetre likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.