The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
(And on a slight tangent, who would have written this? It’s like a thesaurus was dropped into a blender to build one big, long sentence. It goes way past even typical “corporate speak” ... bordering on plain ol’ awful grammar.)
It is exactly what a lawyer would write, which is likely the source, or it was at least completely vetted by the legal dept.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
One of my friends was manning the keyboard in a crisis situation and they had a lawyer, a vice president, a couple engineers, a lobbyist and a local government emergency coordinator wordsmithing a statement mostly by shouting over one another until they had a word salad everyone could agree on that was roughly two paragraphs that said something happened, we will tell you about it later, let us know if you smell anything funny.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:56 pm

This seems to hint that the Max8 isn’t making a quick return - even with news of a Boeing software update to MCAS coming in the next ten days. It sounds like they know they’ll need to do a lot to coax passengers back on board.
The problem is that the vast majority of passengers have no idea what aircraft they are on and don't care - UNTIL something like this MAX incident captures greater attention. Now they will be asking, at least for a while, what plane they are on and is that one that crashes and kills people. Yes, a PR problem.

I recall many years ago how often people would refer to any large airliner as a "747" - more a "kleenex" about brand dilution in a mildly flattering way as opposed to the 737MAX where there might be a wish that aircraft could apply for legal name changes.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by robsaw
The problem is that the vast majority of passengers have no idea what aircraft they are on and don't care - UNTIL something like this MAX incident captures greater attention. Now they will be asking, at least for a while, what plane they are on and is that one that crashes and kills people. Yes, a PR problem.

I recall many years ago how often people would refer to any large airliner as a "747" - more a "kleenex" about brand dilution in a mildly flattering way as opposed to the 737MAX where there might be a wish that aircraft could apply for legal name changes.
DC-10 becoming MD-11 springs to mind.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Given that AC have announced removal of MAX from their timetable to July 1st, do you think we'll see something similar from WJ shortly?
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...7-MAX-Aircraft
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aerobod

It is exactly what a lawyer would write, which is likely the source, or it was at least completely vetted by the legal dept.
Yep. But if only they’d had a communications person there too — somebody who could have tweaked the sentence slightly to make it, well, coherent. It’s an important message, worth communicating in clear, approachable language.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Given that AC have announced removal of MAX from their timetable to July 1st, do you think we'll see something similar from WJ shortly?
I think they have to. There’s no doubt that they’ll be grounded well into the summer. The 787s are now relieving the pressure on YYC-YYZ. Once they get pulled into Europe service (which I’m sure will happen on time and as planned) they’re going to have a real lack of narrowbody metal.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
We are meeting a friend at YYT on May 31 - he's booked on AC from LHR. I just went into AC.com to do a dummy booking and they are still showing a Max 8 LHR-YYT.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

I think they have to. There’s no doubt that they’ll be grounded well into the summer. The 787s are now relieving the pressure on YYC-YYZ. Once they get pulled into Europe service (which I’m sure will happen on time and as planned) they’re going to have a real lack of narrowbody metal.
Hmm, I have mid July travel booked YYT-YHZ-LGW for the family which is currently scheduled on a MAX. Wonder what'll happen. Suspect we'll end up flying via YYZ or worse still getting flights cancelled. AC was approx double the cost for YYT - LHR on the same dates.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
We are meeting a friend at YYT on May 31 - he's booked on AC from LHR. I just went into AC.com to do a dummy booking and they are still showing a Max 8 LHR-YYT.
Guess they are still working on updating schedules. Don't think your friend will be flying direct to YYT though.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:36 pm

I'm on a TATL trip May 24 flying YYJ --> GLA (via YYC - YHZ) .... Has anyone heard if they are cancelling / reallocating aircraft for flights toward the end of May?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by fkvemshagen
I'm on a TATL trip May 24 flying YYJ --> GLA (via YYC - YHZ) .... Has anyone heard if they are cancelling / reallocating aircraft for flights toward the end of May?
What a painful routing. You should hope that they cancel your flight and give you a better alternative!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
What a painful routing. You should hope that they cancel your flight and give you a better alternative!
YYJ-YYC-YHZ-GLA is only an hour slower than the quickest route which is YYJ-SEA-KEF-GLA, but crossing two additional borders and having to arrive earlier for US pre-clearance will eat up much of the time saving and add risk to missed connections, especially as WestJet and Air Canada are the only airlines that can provide an end-to-end journey on their own metal both taking about 15.5 hrs, all others require codeshare.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
I would check with Westjet and try to get onto one of the dreamliner flights from YYC to LGW and then take a train or European ULCC from LGW to GLA.
cedric and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod

YYJ-YYC-YHZ-GLA is only an hour slower than the quickest route which is YYJ-SEA-KEF-GLA, but crossing two additional borders and having to arrive earlier for US pre-clearance will eat up much of the time saving and add risk to missed connections, especially as WestJet and Air Canada are the only airlines that can provide an end-to-end journey on their own metal both taking about 15.5 hrs, all others require codeshare.
There's no preclearance in YYJ
Even sticking with WS partners, DL/KL via SEA/AMS would be much better as you have a 10 hour flight to get a proper sleep on.
Next best option within the WestJet partner environment would be YYJ-YVR-AMS-GLA on WS/KL. Longer layovers but again a proper 9h30m flight to get some rest on.

The WestJet option is a 1.5 hour flight, 2h49m hour layover, 4h46m flight, 1h34m layover, 5h24m flight. That's what I meant by painful. No way someone can fly that itinerary and be able to feel rested upon arrival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.