Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
Very happy family friends who were on a 7M8 YEG-CUN on 24th Mar. and back on 31st Mar. found they were flying a 738 within hours of the announcement this morning. Same flight numbers, same flight times so just an aircraft substitution. They were very
That’s fantastic ... I take back my earlier concerns that this was going to be chaotic for WS. (I’d assumed that much of the rebooking would fall on the call center agents fielding inbound calls, given WestJet’s lack of customer-facing tech for rebooking.)

Good job, WS.

And for any WestJet phone agents or social media folks out there, hang in there! I’m sure you’re encountering more snarly people than usual right now — you’re doing great.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55
Once Boeing fixes the 737 MAX issue, they need to work on their versioning system.

If 90%+ of people off the street can't look at the model number and tell which one is the most recent model, then Boeing is failing at human factors. The biggest company in the world (AAPL) does it this way for their hardware and software. No need to re-invent the wheel, just do what people are already normalized to and familiar with.

"Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better." really rings true here.
90% of the people on the street aren't buying airliners and don't know/don't care which make/model/version of aircraft they are flying on EXCEPT when it comes to rare incidents like this. The 737 family has been around so long that unfortunately, the wheel Boeing was using ran out of numbers for the old scheme; so it needed to be re-invented.

The last thing Boeing is going to worry about is their model numbering scheme.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:53 am
5mm
Suspended

Does WS rethink their Max order? Because WS only flys 1 narrow body aircraft, if this grounding came in 2 years from now, WS would be placed in a very bad situation. Does the A220 now come into play?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by 5mm
Does WS rethink their Max order? Because WS only flys 1 narrow body aircraft, if this grounding came in 2 years from now, WS would be placed in a very bad situation. Does the A220 now come into play?
I doubt it.

It's highly likely that the technical issues will be sorted out in the next couple of weeks (then opening the door to the legal fallout). Once the technical issues are resolved and the plane is flying again, we can all go back to complaining about the lavs.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:05 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I doubt it.

It's highly likely that the technical issues will be sorted out in the next couple of weeks (then opening the door to the legal fallout). Once the technical issues are resolved and the plane is flying again, we can all go back to complaining about the lavs.
This may not be a quick fix. Aircraft is unstable in flight. The technical fix is only a band aid. What is really required is a redesign of the tail.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
That’s fantastic ... I take back my earlier concerns that this was going to be chaotic for WS. (I’d assumed that much of the rebooking would fall on the call center agents fielding inbound calls, given WestJet’s lack of customer-facing tech for rebooking.)

Good job, WS.

And for any WestJet phone agents or social media folks out there, hang in there! I’m sure you’re encountering more snarly people than usual right now — you’re doing great.
OTOH I know of folks leaving on 23rd to OGG still awaiting a resolution from AC 24-hours after the announcement so are starting to squirm at the possibility of missing out on their family Spring Break Hawaiian holiday.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:17 am
5mm
Suspended

OTOH I know of folks leaving on 23rd to OGG still awaiting a resolution from AC 24-hours after the announcement so are starting to squirm at the possibility of missing out on their family Spring Break Hawaiian holiday.
Wasn’t that route replaced with a 787-9? Going from 2 flights per day to 1.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

This may not be a quick fix. Aircraft is unstable in flight. The technical fix is only a band aid. What is really required is a redesign of the tail.
There are and have been many aircraft (including passenger aircraft) that have various points of inherent instability in flight and have automatic compensation in their flight control systems. Some are relatively minor (counteracting dutch roll tendencies) and others are more significant (MCAS on the MAX). A reliable technical "fix" is just that - a fix. All around inherent flight control stability is not essential.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:26 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robsaw
There are and have been many aircraft (including passenger aircraft) that have various points of inherent instability in flight and have automatic compensation in their flight control systems. Some are relatively minor (counteracting dutch roll tendencies) and others are more significant (MCAS on the MAX). A reliable technical "fix" is just that - a fix. All around inherent flight control stability is not essential.
isn’t the max the only current commercial aircraft flying today that is unstable in flight? All other aircraft are military.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
For some reason Embraer E190s and E195s come to mind as possibly having minor in-flight stability issues. I'm not certain about that by any means ... but it does ring a bell.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

isn’t the max the only current commercial aircraft flying today that is unstable in flight? All other aircraft are military.
It depends on what you mean by “stability”. If it is equated to the ability for a human to control the aircraft without computer assistance, then the answer is that there is no current Boeing or Airbus airliner that can be flown without computer assistance other than the 737 MAX, all other products are fly by wire only with computer driven controls with the exception of the 777 backup control systems. This means the aircraft stability can only be maintained by computer.

Basically the 737 is primarily mechanical controls with computer augmentation. The 777 is fly by wire with mechanical backup and all other products (B787, A220, A319, A320, A321, A330, A350, A380) are fly by wire only.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Gold, Nexus
I'm in Maui - flight home through OGG-YVR-YYZ - I think the YVR-YYZ was on Max 8 - at any rate, it's been cancelled.

They added 767s via YYC. The new flights are in the system - anyone find that the seat selection online tool is not working? We have premium economy and doesn't seem to be a way to move things. Perhaps they locked it to handle the amount of changes going through?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 5mm
Wasn’t that route replaced with a 787-9? Going from 2 flights per day to 1.
Not seeing an AC 789 on the route next week but that's another airline and was happy WS seemed muck quicker than AC to rebook pax.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Not seeing an AC 789 on the route next week but that's another airline and was happy WS seemed muck quicker than AC to rebook pax.
AC has been pretty good at rebooking, too. I’m doing IT work for them in the Ops area at the moment and they have been quite proactive in using their analytics to try and optimize fleet utilization. My own flight tonight was cancelled but I was efficiently rebooked on to one an hour earlier.
cedric and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Hope you're right because I'd like to go home tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.