Swoop Cancellation Likelihood Higher?

Old Mar 8, 19, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Swoop Cancellation Likelihood Higher?

So I have in the back of my head that Swoop has a way higher likelihood of being severely delayed/cancelled because itís ULCC. Am I just making stuff up? I thought I read that somewhere.

Thinking of booking a trip to Vegas out of Abbotsford purely for the convenience of flying out of Abbotsford. I just donít want to run a higher risk of missing the trip.
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Troubler View Post
So I have in the back of my head that Swoop has a way higher likelihood of being severely delayed/cancelled because itís ULCC. Am I just making stuff up? I thought I read that somewhere.

Thinking of booking a trip to Vegas out of Abbotsford purely for the convenience of flying out of Abbotsford. I just donít want to run a higher risk of missing the trip.
When weather is good, the risks are comparable with other airlines, when the weather turns bad they have little flexibility to free up aircraft to deal with stacking delays due to the high number of hours each aircraft flies and the lack of spare aircraft. Recovery options are also limited, so it is worth having a credit card that covers flight cancellation. I think on the WestJet analysts call completion rate so far was quoted as in the high 90s (so 1 in 20 or less chance of a cancellation), but OTP is still being worked on, it is more like Encore was in itís first operational year than WestJet mainline, but Encore improved to the point that it is now often one of the best regional airlines in the world for OTP.

They are stringent on not doing anything outside of the tariff for events out of their control due to tight cost constraints and unless you do everything online, it is painful to deal with the call centre as it is also severely constrained due to the cost model. Not really any different than other ULCC airlines such as Ryanair and Spirit Airlines.
Old Mar 8, 19, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Aerobod, thank you very much for that insightful reply. I really appreciate the knowledge you bring to the forum!
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Troubler View Post

WS flies out of Abbotsford already as long as you connect in Calgary which might alleviate the worry - 2, 3, 4 flights a day possible.

They won't just cancel Swoop because it's cheap so they just don't feel like going that day but misconnects are higher risks on all cheap airlines due to the causes above.

That said if they have non-stop Abbotsford-Las Vegas flights there is not a lot that can go wrong (forever), eventually they should show up. Late inbound to Abbotsford might delay departure/arrival to from LAS I doubt they'd just cash in their chips and say, nah.

All that said I wouldn't fly Swoop non stop or not. Drive to YVR or fly via Calgary.
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Hey Rick,

Good points. Also because it'll be mid-summer it probably won't be running into weather delays. I hear you on driving to YVR, I just HATE making that drive back from there. When I'm heading home broke and hungover from Vegas, I just want to get home. I'd much prefer the 20 minute drive from YXX and not worry about the 70 minute plus drive home from YVR. Being stuck at LAS due to delay would also suck though haha.
Old Mar 8, 19, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

... little flexibility to free up aircraft ....Recovery options are also limited....They are stringent on not doing anything outside of the tariff.... it is painful to deal with the call centre as it is also severely constrained due to the cost model.
Highlighting Aerobod's key points..that should say it all. Not worth the headache.
Old Mar 8, 19, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
Highlighting Aerobod's key points..that should say it all. Not worth the headache.
Many people find it is very much worth the potential headache, as they couldnít afford to fly otherwise, but people should go in eyes wide open to what a ULCC involves. If you look at sentiment on Twitter, you will see many people who rave about the cheap and efficient service and many who complain about flight cancellations and delays. Basically on a scale of 1 to 10, lots of 1s and 10s and not a lot in between.

iíve travelled on Ryanair a number of times in Europe, I have never had a problem, but always have a backup plan if I need to travel, as I know I will need to resolve the issue myself and sort out any compensation or insurance or just take it as a wasted ticket. Iíve flown a few times with them to Italy from the UK and also Germany to the UK and the UK to Spain. Typically pay about £60 including taxes (CAD$105) for a 2 hour flight including a checked bag, carry-on, seat selection and ďpriorityĒ boarding. Works well as a the equivalent to a cross-border bus service. Swoop is trying very hard to provide this type of airline offering to Canadians, as are the other competing ULCCs.
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
When it is that cheap and the distances can be small and there are many other options like EasyJet and trains Ryanair is not as big a risk as Swoop having a mechanical on the LAS aircraft and there's nothing they can do about it until they start rerouting other flights or just deal with the one flight. (e.g. the passengers wait 12 hours in an airport).

I quit flying on Air Transat for this very reason even with their Club Class. (or Sunwing). Zero options for recovery and zero chance they will endorse over to a real airline even when there are seats available. I bet Swoop won't endorse or buy tickets on competitors even WS flights.

I am curious, setting aside the non-stop convenience option ex Abbotsford, how much WS or AC flights via Calgary or out of YVR would cost taking into account all the out of pocket costs on seats, food, luggage, carry-on and such? Is a LCC that L?
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:14 am

Swoop price for newly launched route YEG-OAK is 549 inbound and 575 outbound. I guess that route will be axed pretty soon, probably they launched that route just in anticipation of Flair announcing this route but now since Flair didn't , they now price it so high so that they can cancel easy without having too many bookings to cancel and angry crowd.

Last edited by mitelsp; Mar 14, 19 at 12:22 pm

Search this Thread