Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 Limited Time email of Westjet dollars, is this a regular thing?

Old Mar 3, 19, 10:26 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Hello, I just started collecting WestJet dollars this fall. In October I received an email for $50 that expired 48 hours later. Then in December I got another similar offer $50 that expires 2 days later if you use it or not. Then yesterday I got one again.

October
December
March

Will I likely get one again in May/June? Do all members get these, or it is something as I am a new member who has booked maybe half a dozen flights with them this fall, so they are trying to hook me as a customer.
Old Mar 3, 19, 10:28 pm

Most of these $50 things are universal, short-term bonus WJ$.
Old Mar 4, 19, 4:49 am

They are regular, but the timeline is super unrealistic and if you can use it great but largely a wasted perk
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I remember the first time I saw it. Didn't even get an e-mail, noticed that my WestJet dollars had an injection of $50 and then right beside it had a $50 deduction. Called into the customer care line and was brought up to speed haha.
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've used the $50 promo before when the email arrived in my inbox and I had some trade shows coming up that I hadn't already booked travel around. It's nice when that works out.
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:54 am

Yes, these $50 bumps are nice when it works out. But, for me, they rarely do.

WestJet seems to focus a lot on ultra-short-term "buy now" promotions. I'm sure some people buy travel that way, but I don't. I just find it frustrating.

In the past few weeks, I've received:
- a targeted double-qualifying-spend offer (requiring me to both book and fly in a fairly short time-frame)
- a "fast-track" status upgrade provided I hit a $ spend ... for flights booked and flown in a fairly short time-frame
- and a $50 WS dollar bonus, which had to be used within 48 hours.

I find these all bloody frustrating. For the two targeted offers, I already had WestJet flights booked that take place during the promotion period.

But I booked those flights before these short-window promotions started -- so I get absolutely zero benefit from the offers. Zilch. The requirement that a flight be flown and booked after the promo are announced, frankly, p!sses me off every time I see one. If WestJet is trying to capture more of my spend - and specifically my business travel spend - it's failing. I get that they want the promotions to create new purchases, but come on. I get a few similar promos every year from WS, and they all seem to disincent me from booking in advance.

Rather than waiting to book a few weeks prior to travel, I'll book as soon as I have a trip planned. That's typically 2 to 3 months out. (And, for business travel, that means I'll usually book a more flexible - and expensive - fare.) But when these stupid promos pop up, I rarely get anything -- which makes me wonder if WestJet would prefer me to not book with them far in advance. (Maybe I should wait until a few weeks out, and book with whichever airline has the best last minute promo?)

And the $50 WS dollar bonuses? I book my vacation travel like I book my business travel. When we decide on a trip, we book it. Then and there. $50 dollars in my WS account - for just 48 hours - is not going to make me book an unplanned vacation or make some other impromptu flight booking. I don't get what they're trying to accomplish when they do this.

Given that WestJet seemingly has a different "seat sale" every couple of weeks, and given that their frequent flier promos are all "last minute, don't wait, act right now!" gimmicks, well, I just don't get their strategy. Buying a flight with WestJet that's not on sale (or has some sort of short-term bonus or gimmick offer attached) seems kind of like ... buying a mattress from The Bay or SleepCountry that's not supposedly "on sale". Don't do it, because if you wait a week or two you'll get a better offer.
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:26 pm

Fact is, for travel I know is coming up well in advance (i.e. conferences, trade shows etc) I will often wait till there's a promo before booking. Why not?
Old Mar 6, 19, 1:35 pm

True. I guess I should, but old habits die hard.

If WestJet is conditioning us to wait for the inevitable short-term sales/promos/WS$ bumps, and if all of their loyalty promos are for “book and fly in a short time window”, why the heck am I bothering to book with them in advance?
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post

If WestJet is conditioning us to wait for the inevitable short-term sales/promos/WS$ bumps, and if all of their loyalty promos are for “book and fly in a short time window”, why the heck am I bothering to book with them in advance?
I think it's nothing more than a come on that 98% of people will not use but it makes WS look good being so generous. You have to already want to fly, have an itinerary and dates ready, have not booked yet and then be willing to book within 24 hours to save a measly $50. They know that is not going to be a huge take up for most people.
Old Mar 6, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I think it's nothing more than a come on that 98% of people will not use but it makes WS look good being so generous. You have to already want to fly, have an itinerary and dates ready, have not booked yet and then be willing to book within 24 hours to save a measly $50. They know that is not going to be a huge take up for most people.
I bet those people that like to save a measly $50 also like to order Caesars on morning flights while sitting in Premium “Because they can”. Right Rick? Haha.
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Fact is, for travel I know is coming up well in advance (i.e. conferences, trade shows etc) I will often wait till there's a promo before booking. Why not?
I do the same, I have six personal trips between now and next January that are pretty much set in stone. I just knock them off the list as promotions hit my inbox.

Airlines are unlike almost any other industry in that they actively incentivize their customers to behave irrationally to their mutual detriment.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Mar 7, 19, 7:39 am

Last year I was actually in the fortunate position of being just about to book a flight that I had been fare watching when I received one of these $50 offers. I jumped on the chance to make the booking using the $50 in WJD, but wouldn't you know all of a sudden the flight was $50 more than it was the day before? Since then I have ignored these offers.
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Troubler View Post

I bet those people that like to save a measly $50 also like to order Caesars on morning flights while sitting in Premium “Because they can”. Right Rick? Haha.
I doubt they will pay for Plus or Business with the $50 savings, to be honest.
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: *Gold
The $50 seems sporadic. I got an offer on Feb 1st, but I must have missed the March rounds....
I'm waiting to book a vegas flight until the $50 bonus comes around again
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I doubt they will pay for Plus or Business with the $50 savings, to be honest.
I've used the $50 promo when booking Plus tickets. Why not?

Search this Thread