IFE future?

Old Feb 25, 19, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
IFE future?

Sims is on record saying that the narrowbody WestJet fleet is still "low cost", yet here we are installing 2x2 seats, with ovens to have a proper J cabin that's competitive.

Any chance we'll see the IFEs return? Tablets don't seem very expensive (likely Android based), and the systems they have on the 789 look good. I wonder if we will see these retrofitted on the 737 NG fleet and MAX fleet.
Old Feb 25, 19, 9:46 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Sims is on record saying that the narrowbody WestJet fleet is still "low cost", yet here we are installing 2x2 seats, with ovens to have a proper J cabin that's competitive.

Any chance we'll see the IFEs return? Tablets don't seem very expensive (likely Android based), and the systems they have on the 789 look good. I wonder if we will see these retrofitted on the 737 NG fleet and MAX fleet.
I would say no. IFE adds a lot of wt to the aircraft, which WS doesn't want to pay for.
Old Feb 25, 19, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post

I would say it is unlikely you will see IFE screens in the narrow body aircraft. There are three major reasons IFE screens are fitted to the 787:

1. There is no method of operating the blinds and lights without a screen, the cost of a custom solution with “traditional” controls on the armrest (including certification costs) would likely exceed the IFE screen cost, plus the weight of the wiring for the screens would still be in place.

2. USB power is supplied via the screens, an alternative solution would be needed, likely again adding to cost.

3. Current wireless 802.11ac technology can only support about 170 concurrent video streams using all the available channels with the latest channel bonding techniques, optimum number of access points and antennas available in any aircraft, that is a bit limiting for a 320 seat aircraft.

The 737MAX or any other of the 737s doesn’t have any of these issues, the additional weight plus $250K or so per aircraft, the need for new seat backs, existing aircraft downtime for fitting (the whole interior needs to come out to fit the wiring) and additional weight of wiring and screens doesn’t make a strong business case, especially as the WestJet Connect system has quite good uptake and equivalent selection of content to seatback systems delivered to your own tablet or smartphone.
Old Feb 26, 19, 6:24 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I guess I'm the oddball here, since I almost never used the screens when they were there. If I'm awake, I'm generally working on my laptop rather than watching movies. And if I really want to watch a flick, I can dump it on my laptop before we take off.

I do use the Westjet Connect app now and then to look at the map and see where we are, but that's about it. AC power at the seat is far more important to me than a screen of any sort.
arf04 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
I guess I'm the oddball here, since I almost never used the screens when they were there. If I'm awake, I'm generally working on my laptop rather than watching movies. And if I really want to watch a flick, I can dump it on my laptop before we take off.

I do use the Westjet Connect app now and then to look at the map and see where we are, but that's about it. AC power at the seat is far more important to me than a screen of any sort.
You're not the oddball here.

I've always approached IFE with scepticism and assume that it will not work. I make sure that I bring enough pre-loaded content with me to survive the return flight plus a 3 hour delay each way........then work on the laptop anyway.
Old Feb 26, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
WS has decided to train the crew in drama and puppetry and it will be live in the future.
5mm likes this.

Search this Thread