Questions about Free 1st bag with RBC WJ MC

Old Feb 25, 19, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Questions about Free 1st bag with RBC WJ MC

Question about the free bag...

1. Do you have to do this at the airport or will the free bag option be available when you check in online
2. I'm flying from Toronto to Miami, but when I return from Miami -- will I get the free bag? Even if the flight is on Delta?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:29 pm

As long as your Westjet rewards number is added either before or during online checkin you will get the free bag. The free bag is only valid on Westjet operated flights so you will have to pay
on the way back if the flight is operated by Delta.
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:52 am

If WS is operating the first flight (say YYCATL) and one is connection to DL (sayATLJAX) - if you have the RBC card, or pay EconoFlex, do you get your bag for free (even with the DL segment?)
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
If WS is operating the first flight (say YYCATL) and one is connection to DL (sayATLJAX) - if you have the RBC card, or pay EconoFlex, do you get your bag for free (even with the DL segment?)
That tends to be how it works with all airlines. The first airline (operating the flight) collects the baggage fee based on their rules and then it continues to the final destination. That is as long as it is on one ticket.

The one exception tends to be if your connected onto an overseas flight, then you usually get the baggage allowance of the overseas flight.
Old Mar 11, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Anyone know if you book a Basic Economy Fare (but hold the WestJet MC) will you still get the free bag(s) benefit?
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by coleworld View Post
Anyone know if you book a Basic Economy Fare (but hold the WestJet MC) will you still get the free bag(s) benefit?

You will still get the benefit.
coleworld likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 10:58 pm

But donít book Basic. Itís not worth the minuscule savings.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
But donít book Basic. Itís not worth the minuscule savings.
Iíve seen a difference of like $25. Why not if the op gets a free bag with his card?
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:31 pm

Because if you need to change your flight for any reason - illness, Granny passes away, jury duty - you canít. Instead, you forfeit the entire ticket - all segments - and get no refund, no credit. Itís sold as no changes, no cancellations, no refunds ... and theyíre 100% strict on that. No exceptions.

Same goes if you miss a segment. Get stuck in a traffic jam on your way to the airport and miss check-in closing by a few seconds? Your ticket is essentially void, with no refunds or credit ó and future segments are cancelled.

And if you care at all where you sit, you have to pay for seat selection ó even during the check-in process (ie within 24 hours of departure).

The tiny savings arenít worth the risk of buying ďno refunds/no exchangesĒ, and I donít know a single person whoíd happily sit in a middle seat at the back of the bus, separated from their travel companions.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:07 pm

... and I donít know a single person whoíd happily sit in a middle seat at the back of the bus, separated from their travel companions.
Sure you do ... exactly the same people that won't pay for seat booking in advance previously and find that the only seats left even at T-24 are middle seats. Now they can even save a few more bucks for the lack of choice.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Sure you do ... exactly the same people that won't pay for seat booking in advance previously and find that the only seats left even at T-24 are middle seats. Now they can even save a few more bucks for the lack of choice.
Maybe so, but they seem to be the same people who now rage at WestJet when they find out what seat they get with a Basic fare ó and that they canít change it for free.

There is screaming towards WJ pretty much daily (check out FB or Twitter) from numerous ďBasicĒ fliers who (1) expected t-24 seat selection to be at no charge and (2) canít fathom why they didnít get auto-assigned nice seats beside their travel partner.

(One of the issues, I think, is that there are often plenty of aisle and window still available at t-24. But those are held back for non-Basic customers to choose from. The WS system does seem to typically assign Basics to middle seats in the back. And, just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with that.)
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver

Maybe so, but they seem to be the same people who now rage at WestJet when they find out what seat they get with a Basic fare ó and that they canít change it for free.

There is screaming towards WJ pretty much daily (check out FB or Twitter) from numerous ďBasicĒ fliers who (1) expected t-24 seat selection to be at no charge and (2) canít fathom why they didnít get auto-assigned nice seats beside their travel partner.

(One of the issues, I think, is that there are often plenty of aisle and window still available at t-24. But those are held back for non-Basic customers to choose from. The WS system does seem to typically assign Basics to middle seats in the back. And, just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with that.)

If you know the plane will be empty or very light load...example YOW-MCO on Monday evenings, go with basic. If you are unsure, then econo is better off.

Search this Thread