FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Return to 767 on YYC LGW route in off season (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1957782-return-767-yyc-lgw-route-off-season.html)

Jonsie Feb 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Return to 767 on YYC LGW route in off season

Just found out the 787 will only fly YYC LGW during high season then WS will go back to the 767 starting late October. I really don't understand this and think it is a massive cock up by Westjet. Why would they bring in a state of the art plane on a route then go back to a 30 year old plane during winter? Its not as if theres a massive difference is passenger numbers on these two planes. I often defend WS when people accuse them of false advertising but have to say they have been very sneaky with this.

YXUFlyboy Feb 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Winter schedules are not finalized. I don't think WS knows what it's doing with the 787s come winter but I rather doubt it returns to 763 service. Likely 2-3x a week to LGW on 789s. Patience.

The 789 is an upgauge (320 vs 260) and has a business cabin. So they are not at all close capacity wise.

Airlines change equipment all the time depending on the market and where they can best profitably use their assets. This is not false advertising as you can see your aircraft and service class before you book.

Jonsie Feb 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 30813911)
Winter schedules are not finalized. I don't think WS knows what it's doing with the 787s come winter but I rather doubt it returns to 763 service. Likely 2-3x a week to LGW on 789s. Patience.

The 789 is an upgauge (320 vs 260) and has a business cabin. So they are not at all close capacity wise.

Airlines change equipment all the time depending on the market and where they can best profitably use their assets. This is not false advertising as you can see your aircraft and service class before you book.

I agree it is not false advertising as you can indeed see the plane, but thats not what I mean. When they announced routes for the 787 they clearly said the 787 would replace the 767 on the YYC LGW route. So it is actually misleading. Fair enough if they don't yet know winter schedules but AC seem to know what they're doing. If I'm wanting to fly J to LON in November, WS aren't even an option at this time. They are potentially missing out on $$$ by not knowing their strategy. I find it bizarre and archaic they don't know what to do with their 787 8 months down the road.

Error 601 Feb 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Air Canada used to fly the 747 to Florida during the winter, it could be LGW isn't the most lucrative place to deploy their largest plane over the winter.

Jonsie Feb 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30814159)
Air Canada used to fly the 747 to Florida during the winter, it could be LGW isn't the most lucrative place to deploy their largest plane over the winter.

Fair enough. I hope they do stick with the 787 year round as I fly to London a few times per year.

YYCguy Feb 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jonsie (Post 30814179)
Fair enough. I hope they do stick with the 787 year round as I fly to London a few times per year.

A random selection of a few dates next winter showed connections from YYC to LGW through YYZ. YYC non stop on the 767 or 787 wasn’t even a option so perhaps WS hasn’t loaded the winter YYC LGW sked yet.

Jonsie Feb 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy (Post 30814305)

A random selection of a few dates next winter showed connections from YYC to LGW through YYZ. YYC non stop on the 767 or 787 wasn’t even a option so perhaps WS hasn’t loaded the winter YYC LGW sked yet.

Weird, I looked this morning and there were multiple nonstops throughout winter. 3 times per week, same as they've been doing since 2016. I believe YYZ LGW is daily even in winter.

Fiordland Feb 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jonsie (Post 30813952)
I agree it is not false advertising as you can indeed see the plane, but thats not what I mean. When they announced routes for the 787 they clearly said the 787 would replace the 767 on the YYC LGW route. So it is actually misleading. Fair enough if they don't yet know winter schedules but AC seem to know what they're doing. If I'm wanting to fly J to LON in November, WS aren't even an option at this time. They are potentially missing out on $$$ by not knowing their strategy. I find it bizarre and archaic they don't know what to do with their 787 8 months down the road.

I don't think AC knows what they doing next winter either. They just start by loading the old schedule and then adjusting. I think WS is doing the same thing. Where else is WS going to put the 787? Hawaii? I don't think so.

YXUFlyboy Feb 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jonsie (Post 30813952)

There is another airline that flies J to LON year-round, you know ;-)

AC doesn't always "know what it is doing" either. As another poster has said, they simply take last year's winter schedule and tweak it. It is quite possible that AC could have a direct flight and you get rebooked on a connection on a completely different aircraft because a route is cut or aircraft is switched. AC has also been doing widebody flying with business class for many years and has a very good general idea of where to deploy its fleet. Business-class flying is new to WestJet and winter is usually a low period for widebody flying. My best guess is that YYC-LGW remains 3x weekly and goes to a 789 and one frame goes to YYZ to run YYZ-LGW. I imagine YYC-YYZ will keep at least one 789 run.

WS has mentioned they may switch their Hawaii routes to all 7M8 next winter. They already run one OGG run from YYC on a 7M8 (sometimes 2x daily one 7M8 and one 763). They certainly will have the frames for it.

With that in mind, who knows what they will do with the remaining 789 and 763 capacity in winter; 3 more frames will be on their way by then also.

JetFuelBlood Feb 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Both airlines we've got up here load "last year's" schedule initially, 11 months in advance of travel. Then they make adjustments on two dates each year. And the non-appearance of 787's on the existing (read: 2018) winter schedule would suggest this policy hasn't changed.

My prediction?

787s:
0.5 or 1 for YYC-LGW
1 or 1.5 for YYC-various Hawaii flights to replace the 767 that's dedicated to those routes
1 stays on the current YYC-YYZ daily round-trip

Of course, that frees up a 767. Which I think would be dedicated 0.5 to Toronto-Hawaii. (While the remaining '67s flights continue: 1 for YYZ-LGW, 0.5 for YEG-Hawaii + spare)

Fiordland Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by JetFuelBlood (Post 30816753)
Both airlines we've got up here load "last year's" schedule initially, 11 months in advance of travel. Then they make adjustments on two dates each year. And the non-appearance of 787's on the existing (read: 2018) winter schedule would suggest this policy hasn't changed.

My prediction?

787s:
0.5 or 1 for YYC-LGW
1 or 1.5 for YYC-various Hawaii flights to replace the 767 that's dedicated to those routes
1 stays on the current YYC-YYZ daily round-trip

Of course, that frees up a 767. Which I think would be dedicated 0.5 to Toronto-Hawaii. (While the remaining '67s flights continue: 1 for YYZ-LGW, 0.5 for YEG-Hawaii + spare)

My prediction is Paris will get added to the winter schedule.

YXUFlyboy Feb 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 30820522)
My prediction is Paris will get added to the winter schedule.

I could see that. 3-4x LGW and 3-4x CDG?

5mm Feb 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 30814529)

winter is usually a low period for widebody flying.

Winter is slower for leisure Y travel only. J class paid travel is actually slower in the summer months.

Error 601 Feb 26, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 30814529)
WS has mentioned they may switch their Hawaii routes to all 7M8 next winter. They already run one OGG run from YYC on a 7M8 (sometimes 2x daily one 7M8 and one 763). They certainly will have the frames for it.

If that means either no more red-eye or an additional day-time westbound flight out of HNL bring it on.

YYCguy Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30824471)
If that means either no more red-eye or an additional day-time westbound flight out of HNL bring it on.

Wonder what the demand would be for a 763 operated YYZ-Hawaii-YYZ would be? I could see that being a red eye eastbound if it happens.