Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

When would WestJet join ONEWORLD or SkyTeam Alliances

Old Feb 18, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2MM, Marriot Bonvoy Ambasador Elite & Lifetime Titanium Elite

Now that WestJet is getting there new Boing 787 and opening more international routes, I hope that next will be for them to join one of the global airline alliances such as ONEWORLD or SkyTeam. I am an Air Canada SE 2MM customer and would move my business to WestJet the day they join ONEWORLD or SkyTeam. Unfortunately until now for some one that dose over 200K miller a year on international business travel WestJet was not a good option due to limited international routes, and not been part of a global alliance. With the new Boing 787 is looks like the international routes part is addressed. Hopefully the part of joining a global alliance will also be addressed soon.
cooleddie likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
With WestJet and Delta joint venture, SkyTeam makes more sense for WestJet to join.
ghellman and cooleddie like this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
It seems to me that they are approaching every aspect of their operation with an (over) abundance of caution. While many of us would welcome ST membership, I'm not expecting it anytime soon. The membership fees are significant and they would want to have the rollout of 787 service behind them. I think that if it happens (which is a big if) its going to be a few years away yet.....I hope I'm wrong.
Old Feb 18, 19, 4:52 pm

OneWorld makes no sense. Skyteam is the only option and realistically should happen sooner rather than later as Westjet needs those partner relationships in order to fill their 787. They need the AirFrance and KLM and maybe even Alitalia connections out of CDG and LGW.

The relationship with Delta is already in place so the only logical choice is Skyteam. I think management will quickly see the importance and value of membership in order to attract customers and will make it happen in 2020.
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:20 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
OneWorld will not happen as Westjet has effectively severed a previous relationship with AA. Like others, I hope they will join Skyteam at some point, but that won't likely happen till after the 787 service is well underway and domestic 2x2 business class changeover has been completed on most if not all fins. Even then ...
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
Skyteam please!
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
Skyteam please!
Only logical choice; as others have stated, already existing major relationships with Delta, KLM, Airfrance, as well as codeshares with other Skyteam members: Aeromexico, Korean Air, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern.

Search this Thread