Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet rookie - lounge access & border control/customs?

Old Feb 17, 19, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP

Flying WS for the first time. SFO-LGW via Calgary and DUB-SFO via Calgary. The TALT legs are 789 business class; North American legs are PE. Wondering what my options for lounge access in SFO, YYC and DUB might be. Also, since we are heading to YYC from DUB, but ending in US, do I report to US customs in Dublin, hit border control/customs in Canada, or wait until SFO? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Originally Posted by greytop13 View Post
Flying WS for the first time. SFO-LGW via Calgary and DUB-SFO via Calgary. The TALT legs are 789 business class; North American legs are PE. Wondering what my options for lounge access in SFO, YYC and DUB might be. Also, since we are heading to YYC from DUB, but ending in US, do I report to US customs in Dublin, hit border control/customs in Canada, or wait until SFO? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.
WestJet is presently using contract lounges while it builds new lounges in its Canadian hubs. You will have access to the Aspire lounges in YYC. I don't think you have any options in SFO or DUB, though. You will clear U.S. customs in YYC when heading back to SFO. DUB has pre-clearance, but you will be transiting Canada so you will arrive in Canada, and then go directly to U.S. customs before you board for SFO. U.S. bound flights in Canada are pre-cleared and in a sterile area. For SFO-LGW, you go through connections and I believe YYC's international area is "sterile" as well so you should not need to clear Canadian custom to connect.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
There aren't many lounge options in DUB. There is a Priority Pass lounge which will sell day access for about $40 if WS doesn't already have an arrangement with them. If you happen to have an Amex Plat. you get access as a card benefit. It's a smallish lounge with limited facilities though ... don't expect much.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:37 am
Original Poster

YXUFlyboy - Thanks. We will have carry-on only. I wasn't sure if we would remain airside or not on our return. Layovers are 2 to 2.5 hours in YYC, so seemed like plenty of time, regardless.
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Symmetre. We have UA passes I want to use up at SFO before their rules change. Haven't used my AMEX in a long time. I'll have to see if it's still current. Though the lounge may not be too spectacular, it's good to know what's available.

Search this Thread