Free bottled water upon boarding in 787 Y?

Old Feb 16, 19, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Free bottled water upon boarding in 787 Y?

Was watching a few videos of the cabin tour of the B787 and along with pillows and blankets, there was water at every seat in economy. I wonder whether is this just for show for media purposes or WS will actually give them out on revenue flights. Can anyone shed any light?
Old Feb 16, 19, 10:47 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
You sure that wasn't premium economy?
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Positive, definetley economy. If its true, that is very impressive imo. Never seen that ever, even in Y on EK, QR or SQ.
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:14 am

I took the tour and there was pillows and blankets at every seat as well. So it was either for show or they are really upping their game.

Old Feb 17, 19, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Agreed. I think this is actually how it'll be on rev flights. It would be pretty bad to advertise something to the media but not actually deliver. Not the first time thats happened though!
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:17 am

To take a bit of the magic out of the free water:

- a high proportion of the guests will take a water service on a long haul flight.
- the water will be carried anyway, but usually in the 2 litre Dasani bottles (Coca Cola is the current WS supplier), as opposed to the mini 0.3 litre ones.
- most of the cost to supply the water is in carrying it's weight on a long haul flight, about $0.50 for 0.3kg of water as a portion of the payload.
- supplying the water in 0.3 litre bottles compared with 2 litre ones likely increases the cost by about $0.25 per litre due to the increased packaging.
- putting a bottle at each seat before flight probably doesn't take any more labour time than pouring the water into a glass from the cart.

I would estimate that WS can probably do this for less than $0.10 per guest when the whole process is taken into account.
YXUFlyboy and Fiordland like this.
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
To take a bit of the magic out of the free water:

- a high proportion of the guests will take a water service on a long haul flight.
- the water will be carried anyway, but usually in the 2 litre Dasani bottles (Coca Cola is the current WS supplier), as opposed to the mini 0.3 litre ones.
- most of the cost to supply the water is in carrying it's weight on a long haul flight, about $0.50 for 0.3kg of water as a portion of the payload.
- supplying the water in 0.3 litre bottles compared with 2 litre ones likely increases the cost by about $0.25 per litre due to the increased packaging.
- putting a bottle at each seat before flight probably doesn't take any more labour time than pouring the water into a glass from the cart.

I would estimate that WS can probably do this for less than $0.10 per guest when the whole process is taken into account.
All that said, its the small things. The small things get noticed. I think its a big deal as its a first in Y as far as I know.
Old Feb 17, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
All that said, its the small things. The small things get noticed. I think its a big deal as its a first in Y as far as I know.
Not quite the first in Y. Air Canada has had a very small bottle of water that goes out on the meal tray in Y. The bottle AC uses is quite small and made from thicker packaging that is typical of most water products. The WS option looks a bit better.
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Not quite the first in Y. Air Canada has had a very small bottle of water that goes out on the meal tray in Y. The bottle AC uses is quite small and made from thicker packaging that is typical of most water products. The WS option looks a bit better.
It all sounds - to me at least - more wasteful than it needs to be.
mxqisit likes this.

Search this Thread