Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swoop personal item

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Swoop personal item

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I didn't turn up anything in search.

I will be flying Swoop for the first time next week and am wondering how strict they are about the personal item. The allowed dimensions are 35 linear inches (16 x 6 x 13 in) or 89 centimeters (41 x 15 x 33 cm) , but my backpack when full is about 21 cm or just over 8 inches in the shortest dimension. It has been stowed underneath the seat many times, so it will definitely fit there.

I also have a small underseat roller bag like this one (
Amazon Amazon
) that has been carried on Spirit and Frontier with no problem...but they allow 8 inches. I would prefer to take this one, but probably won't risk it since rolling bags tend to draw more scrutiny.

Understanding that no one can predict who is working at the gate on any given day, does it seem like they are usually strict about measuring things like backpacks at the gate? Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I don't have any direct experience with this, but remember that the airline will make a LOT of money if they force you to check your bag.

I may choose Swoop for an upcoming trip, and if I do I'll be sure to stay within limits just in case.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
See how busy/booked the flight is.
Our flight to PVT was 2/3 full and people were bringing on proper roller bags.
Now some had paid for carry-on luggage, but not all.
So even if my bag was suppossed to go under the seat it ended up in the empty overhead anyways.
Not sure where you are flying out of but at YHM nobody was checking at all.
I think its only on full flights would they make an effort....my 2 cents.
grouchysaurus likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Our flight to PVT
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've only flown on swoop a few times, but they seem to be good with anything you can stuff under the seat.
grouchysaurus likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:59 pm

Sorry that I don’t quite know all the airport codes but where is PVT?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the replies! Sounds a bit like my experience on Spirit...the more full the flight is the harder they look vs. some of the international low cost carriers that can be very strict and even weigh bags on occasion even if the plane is empty. I will plan to try the backpack this time and see how it goes. Thanks again!!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Sorry that I don’t quite know all the airport codes but where is PVT?
my guess would be an autocorrected PVR?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I assume he is referring to Puerto Vallarta.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
PVR...jeesh it was a frigging typo....swoop only flies to 10 different destinations....couldn't have been that hard to figure out....
arf04 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Posting an update in case the info is useful to anyone in the future.

Our flight was from YEG to LAS and was maybe 80% full. Most passengers were in compliance with the rules and the Swoop employees did not seem to be checking bags too hard. I saw a couple of people boarding with two personal items (purse and bag) and no one said anything to them. There were also a couple of roller bags similar to the one that I posted above and those people did have the pink tag indicating they had paid for the carry on, so it's probably best that I went with the backpack. Overall everyone was very reasonable and the experience was not as strict as some of the international low cost carriers.

The flight itself was actually good for a low cost carrier as well. The seats recline a bit which they do not on Frontier or Spirit. You can also choose to buy in flight WiFi, which is unavailable on Frontier and hit or miss on Spirit since they are still in the process of rolling it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.