YYZ Connection Times

Old Feb 7, 19, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

YYZ Connection Times

Looking to book YUL-YYZ-TPA for Sunday July 7th. Flight departs YUL at 7AM with 1:36 layover in Toronto. Does this leave enough time on a Sunday morning for US Preclearance and connection time? Seems tight to me. Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
After the big 6-7 a.m. rush it's not super busy but that's still a pretty short connection TBH. The gate could be down that one mile long corridor with the 8 escalators with bad luck.
Old Feb 8, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If the OP has Nexus/GE and traveling with carry-on only, then it's not too bad, especially on a Sunday morning. But, OP, that's providing your YUL-YYZ flight is on time. If you're flying on AC, there's a 50-50 chance it won't be. Then again, there's no saying your Tampa flight will depart on time either.

Without Nexus, you're pushing your luck.
Old Feb 8, 19, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Flying WestJet with no Nexus/GE and checked bag with the family. Ended up booking the longest connection available. 2.5 hours for TPA-YYZ-YUL on a Sunday evening on the way up and 3 hours back for YUL-YYZ-TPA on Sunday morning
Old Feb 8, 19, 10:28 am

I was also concerned about YYZ connection times recently in regards to my summer itinerary from Ottawa-Toronto-Barcelona Spain (all flights on WestJet). I have a Friday night departure, arriving in Toronto at 7:48pm, and then flying out again at 9:00pm. So a 1 hour 12 minute layover in Toronto. The flight from Ottawa lands in terminal 3, while the Barcelona flight departs from terminal 3, so there's no switching terminals.

The flights aren't for a while anyways, so schedule changes could happen, but if my itinerary stays as is, is a 1 hour 12 minute layover enough time to change over from a WestJet domestic flight to a WestJet international flight?
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: none
Oj778, if the first flight is on time it should be easy. Domestic-International is much easier than domestic-transborder.

Personally, I am overly cautious, so I like to have a huge window for domestic-international connections just in cast there is a delay in the first flight. I'm fine with short connections for international-domestic though. It is all about the consequences of a missed connection. For domestic-international, a missed connection means a complicated re-routing or waiting a day. For international-domestic a missed connection means waiting for one of many alternatives later in the day.

For example, on a YHZ-YUL-BRU trip a few years ago on AC I had a three hour stop in YUL on the way there, even though a shorter connection was available. I had a 1:40 on the way back, which ended up being rather tight since the first flight was delayed. I got to the gate just as boarding started.
Old Feb 8, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by rktj View Post
Flying WestJet with no Nexus/GE and checked bag with the family. Ended up booking the longest connection available. 2.5 hours for TPA-YYZ-YUL on a Sunday evening on the way up and 3 hours back for YUL-YYZ-TPA on Sunday morning
That seems a sensible approach. Without Nexus a 1:36 connection would be risky, IMHO.

Search this Thread