Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

A Review of WestJet’s 767 in Economy From London to Toronto - Feb 6 2019

A Review of WestJet’s 767 in Economy From London to Toronto - Feb 6 2019

Old Feb 7, 19, 12:10 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,086
A Review of WestJet’s 767 in Economy From London to Toronto - Feb 6 2019

Nice review





https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/wes...onomy-lgw-yyz/


Mods - Feel free to merge/move if there is another relevant thread
jimsthe1 likes this.
24left is offline  
Old Feb 7, 19, 10:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC E75
Posts: 729
Certainly goes to show that some people can see the world with the glass half full and that friendly staff can mitigate a mess with flight cancellations and 5 am adjustments.
FlyerJ likes this.
YZF_Elite is offline  
Old Feb 9, 19, 11:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YHZ. Previously YYC
Programs: *Gold
Posts: 1,876
Thanks for sharing your review, I enjoyed the positivity and your enthusiasm for the flight

One question, how did you take that picture of yourself in the middle seat? lol
pilotboy1985YYC is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,089
I flew WS from YYZ to LGW last year and quite frankly I would never fly WS again on that route until they change their planes. The plane is really old and the kind of seats that they have are just not comfortable enough for a trans-atlantic flight. I'm not a particularly big guy so economy seats are never really a problem for me. I can't wait until WS start flying Dreamliners on that route. The USB ports are also placed at an less than ideal spot. I don't understand why WS didn't make any modifications and move the USB ports closer to the tray. As for why I chose WS for that flight? Price.
lsquare is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 6:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I flew WS from YYZ to LGW last year and quite frankly I would never fly WS again on that route until they change their planes. The plane is really old and the kind of seats that they have are just not comfortable enough for a trans-atlantic flight. I'm not a particularly big guy so economy seats are never really a problem for me. I can't wait until WS start flying Dreamliners on that route. The USB ports are also placed at an less than ideal spot. I don't understand why WS didn't make any modifications and move the USB ports closer to the tray. As for why I chose WS for that flight? Price.
The Y seats on the 787 will be narrower with slightly less legroom than in the 767 Y seats (which are refurbished seats that used to be used on the Qantas long haul routes)

The USB ports can’t just be placed anywhere WestJet wants, if they are placed by the knee area like on the 737s, then a completely new seatback would be required that would have to be certified for crash worthiness in respect to knee injury prevention. There probably isn’t even a seatback retrofit on the market that could be purchased, hence the position for the ports that had to be used, as they weren’t fitted to the seats when in Qantas service.
aerobod is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

The Y seats on the 787 will be narrower with slightly less legroom than in the 767 Y seats (which are refurbished seats that used to be used on the Qantas long haul routes)

The USB ports can’t just be placed anywhere WestJet wants, if they are placed by the knee area like on the 737s, then a completely new seatback would be required that would have to be certified for crash worthiness in respect to knee injury prevention. There probably isn’t even a seatback retrofit on the market that could be purchased, hence the position for the ports that had to be used, as they weren’t fitted to the seats when in Qantas service.
Seat pitch is the same in Y on 787 and 767, first 6 rows of Y are 35 inches.
Jonsie is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:27 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 898
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Seat pitch is the same in Y on 787 and 767, first 6 rows of Y are 35 inches.
I asked WestJet on Twitter if there was extra legroom at the front of the 787 Y cabin ... given that they cost more for seat selection.

Their response:

Thank you for your question. The seats at the front of our Economy cabin do not have additional leg room. They are preferred seating as you are able to exit the aircraft sooner upon arrival.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post


I asked WestJet on Twitter if there was extra legroom at the front of the 787 Y cabin ... given that they cost more for seat selection.

Their response:

If what they told you is true, that is disgraceful. I'm not saying you're wrong by the way, but if you watch the cabin tour of the 787 and pause it at about the 1:40 mark it shows the first 6 rows and to me, it appears the pitch is quite large. I have a feeling the rep from WS is massively ill informed. I hope so, anyway.
Jonsie is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 4:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
If what they told you is true, that is disgraceful. I'm not saying you're wrong by the way, but if you watch the cabin tour of the 787 and pause it at about the 1:40 mark it shows the first 6 rows and to me, it appears the pitch is quite large. I have a feeling the rep from WS is massively ill informed. I hope so, anyway.
Just got off the phone with Westjet and can confirm rows 10 to 14 are 35 inches pitch, row 9 is 38. Whoever told you that from twitter is way out of the loop.
Jonsie is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 4:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 2,104
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I flew WS from YYZ to LGW last year and quite frankly I would never fly WS again on that route until they change their planes. The plane is really old and the kind of seats that they have are just not comfortable enough for a trans-atlantic flight. I'm not a particularly big guy so economy seats are never really a problem for me. I can't wait until WS start flying Dreamliners on that route. The USB ports are also placed at an less than ideal spot. I don't understand why WS didn't make any modifications and move the USB ports closer to the tray. As for why I chose WS for that flight? Price.
Clearly you haven't been subjected to an economy flight on a 787, you will miss the 767 when they're all relegated to delivering Amazon packages.

There is nothing that demonstrates that the world's airlines are in a fierce battle to see who can deliver the worst long-haul economy cabin than the 787, with dishonorable mention for Air Canada's newer 777s.
Error 601 is online now  
Old Feb 13, 19, 4:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Seat pitch is the same in Y on 787 and 767, first 6 rows of Y are 35 inches.
Although there are a few seats in Y on the 767 at 31” pitch (the quoted value), most are actually at 32”, from when I measured them when we did IFEC shakedown tests on the 767 before it went into service. The 31” pitch seats on the 787 having the document pocket behind the high double fold table should free up some knee space compared with the 767 seats, though.
aerobod is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 5:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

Although there are a few seats in Y on the 767 at 31” pitch (the quoted value), most are actually at 32”, from when I measured them when we did IFEC shakedown tests on the 767 before it went into service. The 31” pitch seats on the 787 having the document pocket behind the high double fold table should free up some knee space compared with the 767 seats, though.
OK, interesting point. Thanks for the info!
Jonsie is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 6:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,089
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
Clearly you haven't been subjected to an economy flight on a 787, you will miss the 767 when they're all relegated to delivering Amazon packages.

There is nothing that demonstrates that the world's airlines are in a fierce battle to see who can deliver the worst long-haul economy cabin than the 787, with dishonorable mention for Air Canada's newer 777s.
Actually I have been on an economy flight on a 787 before. Not sure why you decide to frame your post the way that you did. In my opinion, I found the seats to be quite uncomfortable for that particular flight. For shorter flights, I can live with it. I'm ok with narrower seats. Maybe if you're big and tall, then I can understand.
lsquare is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 2,104
Because I am really surprised someone could find the economy seats employed on most 787s more comfortable than the seats in use on older planes.

When new airplanes do more than usher in "innovations" that make air travel something between uncomfortable and inhumane I will get my pom-poms out, till then I will gladly take a plane with a frumpy old cabin.
Error 601 is online now  
Old Feb 13, 19, 10:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
Clearly you haven't been subjected to an economy flight on a 787, you will miss the 767 when they're all relegated to delivering Amazon packages.

There is nothing that demonstrates that the world's airlines are in a fierce battle to see who can deliver the worst long-haul economy cabin than the 787, with dishonorable mention for Air Canada's newer 777s.
Recently flew Economy to Tokyo and back on ANA's 787. It was quite comfortable (34" pitch I believe). Some airlines are not evil.

Ron.
newfbc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread