Combining RBC Avion ticket and companion fare

Old Feb 4, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Combining RBC Avion ticket and companion fare

2 of us are looking to fly YVR-CUN in the fall and i have enough RBC Avion points to buy the first ticket. If I do that, can i use one of the milestone companion vouchers that I have for the 2nd ticket? In effect so that I only have to pay the taxes on the 2nd ticket (assuming the first is under the $900 threshold for an Avion ticket)?

thanks
Old Feb 4, 19, 10:48 pm

Nope.

When you use RBC Avion points, you're essentially buying your flight through a travel agent (in this case, RBC -- or whoever they contract with to fulfill their points "purchases").

Companion awards, along with other WestJet Rewards forms of payment (like WS Dollars) can only be used when you're booking directly with WestJet.

RBC won't/can't accept a WestJet companion voucher as payment, just like WestJet can't accept Avion points when you're buying from WestJet.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
If you converted those Avion points to WSD, you could use both (WSD & Companion Voucher) on the flights.
Old Feb 5, 19, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Avion does not want to do this or know that they can do this....

You should be able to call avion and say, I have a problem, I want to book using avion but I can't and need to do it through the airline. (Perhaps telling them you have a voucher you want to use with the airline will work). This give you some ID number for the transaction.

You then book the flight through the WestJet call centre or website. Billed to your RBC account.

You then call avion back. They issue a credit against the WestJet charge on your credit card.

I have been successful in doing this when the link between the avion portal and Air Canada portal have been down. Others have been successful in doing this when they have wanted to get certain fare buckets with Air Canada that were not available in the avion portal. I have never tried it with WestJet.

Search this Thread