FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Anyone receive their Gold/Platinum 2019 kit yet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1954144-anyone-receive-their-gold-platinum-2019-kit-yet.html)

Arthurrs Feb 1, 2019 9:14 am

Anyone receive their Gold/Platinum 2019 kit yet?

Just wondering if Westjet has sent any kits in the mail yet welcoming us to our gold/platinum status for 2019? I haven't seen anything show up here yet. I could use some new luggage tags.

Troubler Feb 1, 2019 10:13 am

I received a Gold welcome package in December 2018. Haven’t seen anything for Platinum yet.

Frequentlander Feb 1, 2019 11:11 am

I received Gold luggage tags - and a nice letter welcoming me to WestJet Gold - the day after Plat. was started and I got my Plat. status.

jkordyback Feb 2, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Troubler (Post 30727961)
I received a Gold welcome package in December 2018. Haven’t seen anything for Platinum yet.

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 30728236)
I received Gold luggage tags - and a nice letter welcoming me to WestJet Gold - the day after Plat. was started and I got my Plat. status.

:) The same for me. I’m guessing they print off tags once or twice per year.

Calgary661 Feb 5, 2019 6:54 am

Same.. nothing on my end

Troubler Feb 5, 2019 5:12 pm

Just called in to the platinum line for something else. At the end of the call I figured I’d ask about platinum welcome kits and tags. The agent said he believed the plan was to start shipping those out in the spring.

Sunny Day Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Got my platinum package today including 2 grey colour luggage tags inside, nothing else.

colonius Jun 24, 2019 3:26 am

I made first Gold and then Platinum in Q1 - no kit received so far

ricktoronto Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I got nothing ever from WS for elite levels and frankly gave up on them doing anything comparable to more seasoned airlines.

Sopwith Jun 24, 2019 10:52 pm

I received my status match confirmation email in mid May. Since then, radio silence.

I also discovered that the seat selection vouchers can only be used by myself, and not by Mrs. S even on the same PNR. :rolleyes:

colonius Jun 24, 2019 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31236567)
I received my status match confirmation email in mid May. Since then, radio silence.

I also discovered that the seat selection vouchers can only be used by myself, and not by Mrs. S even on the same PNR. :rolleyes:

Not sure what there was to "discover", since this limitation is clearly stated on the website: "Vouchers may be used for member only and are non-transferable. Vouchers may not be used for other guests or companions."

Does this make sense? No, it doesn't - or at least it is quite stingy. Especially since I still have these vouchers in my account as a Platinum member, who gets unlimited seat selection in any case...

ricktoronto Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 31236678)
Not sure what there was to "discover", since this limitation is clearly stated on the website: "Vouchers may be used for member only and are non-transferable. Vouchers may not be used for other guests or companions."

Does this make sense? No, it doesn't - or at least it is quite stingy. Especially since I still have these vouchers in my account as a Platinum member, who gets unlimited seat selection in any case...

Still for a couple they save something by only paying for one seat vs. two so it's less stingy than nothing other than pay or we'll seat you. I agree that as with many airlines when you get to highest tiers or fly the premium fares a lot of these features mean bupkus.

FlyerJ Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm

The issue many have with the “new” seat selection vouchers is that the rules recently changed — and the benefit was devalued pretty significantly.

Until the change (earlier this year, IIRC) they could be used for anyone on the same PNR as the member. That meant that I could use them for seat selection for the whole family when heading off on a vacation. A really nice benefit.

Now, under the new terms, my family vacations require me to pay for seat selection for 3 out of the 4 of us. My loyalty to WS now costs me quite a bit more out of pocket when going on a family vacation.

Is it still better than nothing? Well, sure. But compared to what it used to be, it’s an annoying, nickel-and-dining reduction of benefits.

And it seems odd timing, given that WS is clamouring to transform themselves into a mainstream carrier that appeals to frequent business travellers, and has promised a more robust and worthwhile FF program.

The Lev Jul 5, 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31236567)

Ditto.

(...and it took them more than two weeks to confirm the status match vs. the suggested one week).

colonius Jul 5, 2019 9:20 pm

I received my Gold Welcome Kit with the luggage tags yesterday.... about 3 months after I made Platinum. Way to go, WestJet....