Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Checked my bags on someone else’s reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,

Needed a last minute flight from YYC to London and as the AC flight was hideously expensive thought I’d give WestJet a try. Overall I was quite impressed yes the 767 are old but crew were very friendly and WiFi good.

I prepaid for two bags yet at check in they couldn’t seem to find this. It is only when I’ve looked at my baggage tags this morning having arrived that they are labelled for someone else. Same surname as me but different PNR and first name. Is this something I should report as it seems a little lax from a security point of view or does it happen often ?

Edit: apologies force of habit posting in BAEC not WestJet. Please can this be moved. Although would be interesting to hear thoughts of my fellow BAEC members

Last edited by ThrowingBoeing; Jan 28, 2019 at 5:17 am Reason: Wrong Section
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
Needed a last minute flight from YYC to London and as the AC flight was hideously expensive thought I’d give WestJet a try. Overall I was quite impressed yes the 767 are old but crew were very friendly and WiFi good.

I prepaid for two bags yet at check in they couldn’t seem to find this. It is only when I’ve looked at my baggage tags this morning having arrived that they are labelled for someone else. Same surname as me but different PNR and first name. Is this something I should report as it seems a little lax from a security point of view or does it happen often ?

Edit: apologies force of habit posting in BAEC not WestJet. Please can this be moved. Although would be interesting to hear thoughts of my fellow BAEC members
If you were with the other person at check in, I don't see a problem with this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
If you were with the other person at check in, I don't see a problem with this.
Maybe I didn't explain properly but I was not with this mystery person. I've absolute no idea who they are. Just noticed their surname is the same as mine and the staff at check in couldn't seem to find that I had pre booked baggage?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Maybe I didn't explain properly but I was not with this mystery person. I've absolute no idea who they are. Just noticed their surname is the same as mine and the staff at check in couldn't seem to find that I had pre booked baggage?
Okay, now I understand what you mean When did you prepay for the baggage fees? at the check-in counter? or online? Either way it definitively sounds like a mix up.

I wonder if the other passenger happened to be right in front of you in line and the agent thought you were travelling together, just not checking in together.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Practice for Canadian airlines is that if the passenger is a no show at the gate then the bags are to be pulled off the aircraft. In principle if the other person ended up not showing they should have pulled your bags.

That same principle does not apply if the airline (for its own reasons decides to separate the passenger and the bags). At that point the bags don't have to travel with the passenger.

In your case, it should not have happened. Not certain reporting it will be all that helpful in avoiding it again.

On a side I have had BA misplace my bags a few times but its never happened with either WS or AC louse bags. Not certain why as I travel far more on WS and AC than BA. Perhaps random luck.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Okay, now I understand what you mean When did you prepay for the baggage fees? at the check-in counter? or online? Either way it definitively sounds like a mix up.

I wonder if the other passenger happened to be right in front of you in line and the agent thought you were travelling together, just not checking in together.
There was no line at all I was at a customer service desk as I needed to check some skis in. Please just believe that WestJet have probably made a mistake on this one .
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:38 am

There was no line at all I was at a customer service desk as I needed to check some skis in. Please just believe that WestJet have probably made a mistake on this one .
Most likely the agent just picked the name from the guest manifest, taking the first instance without checking your PNR. If your name is not common, they may have assumed incorrectly that they had selected you correctly from the manifest. It would only be an issue if the other person wasn’t on the same flight. It isn’t a security issue due to the fact that you have been associated with the bag at checkin and all bags go through the backend scanning process.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by aerobod
all bags go through the backend scanning process.
Just curious: what is the backend scanning process?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Just curious: what is the backend scanning process?
Airport x-ray in the baggage system.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod

Most likely the agent just picked the name from the guest manifest, taking the first instance without checking your PNR. If your name is not common, they may have assumed incorrectly that they had selected you correctly from the manifest. It would only be an issue if the other person wasn’t on the same flight. It isn’t a security issue due to the fact that you have been associated with the bag at checkin and all bags go through the backend scanning process.
What about if the other person was taken ill and offloaded from the flight? I assume my bags would have been wrongly taken off ?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:31 pm
5mm
Suspended

What about if the other person was taken ill and offloaded from the flight? I assume my bags would have been wrongly taken off ?
YOU are correct. This happened to me with US air that they checked me in under the wrong person and then they cancelled my return flight because they said Ino showed my first flight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Practice for Canadian airlines is that if the passenger is a no show at the gate then the bags are to be pulled off the aircraft. In principle if the other person ended up not showing they should have pulled your bags.

That same principle does not apply if the airline (for its own reasons decides to separate the passenger and the bags). At that point the bags don't have to travel with the passenger.

In your case, it should not have happened. Not certain reporting it will be all that helpful in avoiding it again.

On a side I have had BA misplace my bags a few times but its never happened with either WS or AC louse bags. Not certain why as I travel far more on WS and AC than BA. Perhaps random luck.
This can be turned into a suspense / mystery / thriller !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.