Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Checked my bags on someone elseís reservation

Checked my bags on someone elseís reservation

Old Jan 28, 19, 5:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Posts: 144
Checked my bags on someone elseís reservation

Needed a last minute flight from YYC to London and as the AC flight was hideously expensive thought Iíd give WestJet a try. Overall I was quite impressed yes the 767 are old but crew were very friendly and WiFi good.

I prepaid for two bags yet at check in they couldnít seem to find this. It is only when Iíve looked at my baggage tags this morning having arrived that they are labelled for someone else. Same surname as me but different PNR and first name. Is this something I should report as it seems a little lax from a security point of view or does it happen often ?

Edit: apologies force of habit posting in BAEC not WestJet. Please can this be moved. Although would be interesting to hear thoughts of my fellow BAEC members

Last edited by ThrowingBoeing; Jan 28, 19 at 5:17 am Reason: Wrong Section
ThrowingBoeing is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:08 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YOW/HBA
Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
Needed a last minute flight from YYC to London and as the AC flight was hideously expensive thought Iíd give WestJet a try. Overall I was quite impressed yes the 767 are old but crew were very friendly and WiFi good.

I prepaid for two bags yet at check in they couldnít seem to find this. It is only when Iíve looked at my baggage tags this morning having arrived that they are labelled for someone else. Same surname as me but different PNR and first name. Is this something I should report as it seems a little lax from a security point of view or does it happen often ?

Edit: apologies force of habit posting in BAEC not WestJet. Please can this be moved. Although would be interesting to hear thoughts of my fellow BAEC members
If you were with the other person at check in, I don't see a problem with this.
Heffeh41 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 9:31 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by Heffeh41 View Post
If you were with the other person at check in, I don't see a problem with this.
Maybe I didn't explain properly but I was not with this mystery person. I've absolute no idea who they are. Just noticed their surname is the same as mine and the staff at check in couldn't seem to find that I had pre booked baggage?
ThrowingBoeing is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 12:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YOW/HBA
Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
Maybe I didn't explain properly but I was not with this mystery person. I've absolute no idea who they are. Just noticed their surname is the same as mine and the staff at check in couldn't seem to find that I had pre booked baggage?
Okay, now I understand what you mean When did you prepay for the baggage fees? at the check-in counter? or online? Either way it definitively sounds like a mix up.

I wonder if the other passenger happened to be right in front of you in line and the agent thought you were travelling together, just not checking in together.
Heffeh41 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 19, 11:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,377
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
Needed a last minute flight from YYC to London and as the AC flight was hideously expensive thought Iíd give WestJet a try. Overall I was quite impressed yes the 767 are old but crew were very friendly and WiFi good.

I prepaid for two bags yet at check in they couldnít seem to find this. It is only when Iíve looked at my baggage tags this morning having arrived that they are labelled for someone else. Same surname as me but different PNR and first name. Is this something I should report as it seems a little lax from a security point of view or does it happen often ?

Edit: apologies force of habit posting in BAEC not WestJet. Please can this be moved. Although would be interesting to hear thoughts of my fellow BAEC members
Practice for Canadian airlines is that if the passenger is a no show at the gate then the bags are to be pulled off the aircraft. In principle if the other person ended up not showing they should have pulled your bags.

That same principle does not apply if the airline (for its own reasons decides to separate the passenger and the bags). At that point the bags don't have to travel with the passenger.

In your case, it should not have happened. Not certain reporting it will be all that helpful in avoiding it again.

On a side I have had BA misplace my bags a few times but its never happened with either WS or AC louse bags. Not certain why as I travel far more on WS and AC than BA. Perhaps random luck.
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Fiordland is online now  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:20 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by Heffeh41 View Post
Okay, now I understand what you mean When did you prepay for the baggage fees? at the check-in counter? or online? Either way it definitively sounds like a mix up.

I wonder if the other passenger happened to be right in front of you in line and the agent thought you were travelling together, just not checking in together.
There was no line at all I was at a customer service desk as I needed to check some skis in. Please just believe that WestJet have probably made a mistake on this one .
Heffeh41 likes this.
ThrowingBoeing is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
There was no line at all I was at a customer service desk as I needed to check some skis in. Please just believe that WestJet have probably made a mistake on this one .
Most likely the agent just picked the name from the guest manifest, taking the first instance without checking your PNR. If your name is not common, they may have assumed incorrectly that they had selected you correctly from the manifest. It would only be an issue if the other person wasnít on the same flight. It isnít a security issue due to the fact that you have been associated with the bag at checkin and all bags go through the backend scanning process.
aerobod is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,388
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
all bags go through the backend scanning process.
Just curious: what is the backend scanning process?
Sopwith is offline  
Old Jan 29, 19, 11:49 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Just curious: what is the backend scanning process?
Airport x-ray in the baggage system.
aerobod is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 1:27 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post

Most likely the agent just picked the name from the guest manifest, taking the first instance without checking your PNR. If your name is not common, they may have assumed incorrectly that they had selected you correctly from the manifest. It would only be an issue if the other person wasnít on the same flight. It isnít a security issue due to the fact that you have been associated with the bag at checkin and all bags go through the backend scanning process.
What about if the other person was taken ill and offloaded from the flight? I assume my bags would have been wrongly taken off ?
ThrowingBoeing is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 1:31 pm
  #11  
5mm
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing View Post
What about if the other person was taken ill and offloaded from the flight? I assume my bags would have been wrongly taken off ?
YOU are correct. This happened to me with US air that they checked me in under the wrong person and then they cancelled my return flight because they said Ino showed my first flight.
5mm is offline  
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,788
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Practice for Canadian airlines is that if the passenger is a no show at the gate then the bags are to be pulled off the aircraft. In principle if the other person ended up not showing they should have pulled your bags.

That same principle does not apply if the airline (for its own reasons decides to separate the passenger and the bags). At that point the bags don't have to travel with the passenger.

In your case, it should not have happened. Not certain reporting it will be all that helpful in avoiding it again.

On a side I have had BA misplace my bags a few times but its never happened with either WS or AC louse bags. Not certain why as I travel far more on WS and AC than BA. Perhaps random luck.
This can be turned into a suspense / mystery / thriller !
HMPS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread