Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reciprocal benefits/earning with Delta - any updates?

Old Jan 16, 19, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

From the WS/DL joint venture press release way back last summer...

Upon receipt of regulatory approvals in Canada and the U.S., Delta and WestJet will work together to implement all aspects of the enhanced cooperation including expanded codesharing,more closely aligned frequent flyer program and reciprocal elite benefits, joint growth across their U.S./Canada transborder network, and co-location at key hubs with more seamless passenger and baggage transit. The agreement will also include the ability to cooperate on cargo accompanying passenger flights as well as corporate contracts.
  • Expanded codesharing with DL: Done. WS now sells codeshared tickets on lots more DL flights to many brand new destinations across the U.S. -- most seemingly starting early spring.
  • WS flights into DL's Atlanta hub: Done. YYC announced in October, and starting in March.
  • FF program benefits: Nothing but crickets....

I assume I'll be able to earn towards WestJet status when flying on Delta metal? And I assume my WS status will give me access to DL's Sky Priority lanes and services? But ... when? Even if launch isn't imminent, is there any communication coming soon?

Any updates, or any speculation? (I have cross-border travel for this spring that I need to book soon, and having these reciprocal benefits in place - or at least in the works - would make my choice of carrier much, much easier!)
Old Jan 16, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
It’s likely that any US regulatory approval required is being delayed by the US government shutdown. I read an article the other day that the FAA isn’t able to approve any new routes or new planes in to service due to the same fact.
Old Jan 16, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

But if they’ve already started the code sharing that they’d promised, that would indicate that key approvals are done.

And would reciprocal FF benefits be hung up with government approval? I doubt they’d need any kind government approval to let WS members use the SkyPriority check-in, or to have an earlier boarding zone!?
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
But if they’ve already started the code sharing that they’d promised, that would indicate that key approvals are done.

And would reciprocal FF benefits be hung up with government approval? I doubt they’d need any kind government approval to let WS members use the SkyPriority check-in, or to have an earlier boarding zone!?
I don't understand how the approval happens and what still needs to be done but I believe that any reciprocal benefits are not in place yet. No timeline on when things should be finalized.
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:02 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Delta flights marketed by WS will count towards spend but not if marketed by Delta. You have to buy the codeshare.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
I don't understand how the approval happens and what still needs to be done but I believe that any reciprocal benefits are not in place yet. No timeline on when things should be finalized.
I doubt it has anything to do with government approval stateside, perhaps the Competition Bureau in Canada needs to give their blessing. In addition, given DL being part of an alliance, it may require more than just approval from DL, especially when dealing with touchy topics like lounge access or priority boarding. Granted, AS at one point had reciprocal agreements with AA and DL for these items (and more)!

-James
Old Jan 17, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I usually hit the"spend" target with AC before I hit required miles, so with *A I'm able to use United for the top up on miles which is normally less costly. IMO it's a good relationship in the alliance world to which if WS can negotiate then it will be a BIG positive.
Old Jan 17, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
I usually hit the"spend" target with AC before I hit required miles, so with *A I'm able to use United for the top up on miles which is normally less costly. IMO it's a good relationship in the alliance world to which if WS can negotiate then it will be a BIG positive.
Well there's a huge difference between partnering with DL and joining SkyTeam. The former, whilst challenging can be done as could be seen with AS. OTOH, the benefits of joining SkyTeam are huge, WS elites will enjoy perks around the globe on SkyTeam partners. But then again, WS must ask themselves, do I really want to be loyal to DL or do I want to take the AS approach and try to get the best of both world for my passengers and for myself (in terms of interlining)?

-James

Search this Thread