Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

CUPE & WS Cabin Grooming Update: WS asks FA's to "write up" pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Irrelevant

So much for peaceful labour relations and the fostering of a team work environment.
WestJet has asked Flight Attendants to “write up” Pilots who do not “volunteer” for this work. The Pilots’ contract does not include language directing them to clean the aircraft on a complimentary basis.

Flight Attendants have made it very clear to the Local 4070 Executive that they will not accept being accountable for unpaid cleaning of the company fleet on an ongoing basis.
https://westjet.cupe.ca/2019/01/11/grooming-update/

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:53 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:41 pm

It seems as though the days of being a LCC is falling further and further into the review mirror. The boys over AC must be having a chuckle or two as they read the CUPE note.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AltaBound
IThe boys over AC must be having a chuckle or two as they read the CUPE note.
Seems AC is still digesting their own CUPE turbulence.

I wondered when the pilots arbitration verdict was handed down how long it would be before pilots stopped grooming planes.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 12, 2019 at 1:44 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by tcook052

I wondered when the pilots arbitration verdict was handed down how long it would be before pilots stopped grooming planes.
I think some will help as a courtesy to the FA's, I've seen this at Jazz where when able the pilots will help the FA's groom at stops where there is no grooming staff. I think the issue is being forced to groom as part of their duties as pilots is what is offensive. Good luck with the company trying to discipline pilots for not grooming, it will only poison the already strained relationship even more.
Pitting one employee group against another make you wonder what is going through the minds of the big wigs at HQ.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
I think some will help as a courtesy to the FA's, I've seen this at Jazz where when able the pilots will help the FA's groom at stops where there is no grooming staff. I think the issue is being forced to groom as part of their duties as pilots is what is offensive. Good luck with the company trying to discipline pilots for not grooming, it will only poison the already strained relationship even more.
Pitting one employee group against another make you wonder what is going through the minds of the big wigs at HQ.
I can tell you that everything focuses on cost savings. Unfortunately many of the decisions that are being made and put into action have an end result in frontline employees doing more with fewer resources. The people at the bottom of the totem pole, with the lowest pay and that most significantly impact customer satisfication are feeling the burden the most by management's decisions. They keep putting together initiatives to save $100,000 here and $300,000 there but it is impacting operations negatively and they are losing the morale of their people.

Last edited by calgaryhhr; Jan 12, 2019 at 6:03 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I can tell you that everything focuses on cost savings. Unfortunately many of the decisions that are being made and put into action have an end result in frontline employees doing more with fewer resources. The people at the bottom of the totem pole, with the lowest pay and that most significantly impact customet satisfication and feeling the burden the most by management's decisions. They keep putting together initiatives to save $100,000 and $300,000 there but it is impacting operations negatively and they are losing the morale of their people.
Good analogy, the last thing WS needs right now is trying to pit employee groups against each other...beside it won't work.
Time for HQ to rescind this edict!!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Good analogy, the last thing WS needs right now is trying to pit employee groups against each other...beside it won't work.
Time for HQ to rescind this edict!!
Perhaps I don't fully understand the nature of this issue. It sounds like it is the union that represents the FAs that is instructing the FA to write up pilots that don't help with the cleaning duties.

If the company want to bring an end to it quickly they would just ignore the write ups and move on.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Perhaps I don't fully understand the nature of this issue. It sounds like it is the union that represents the FAs that is instructing the FA to write up pilots that don't help with the cleaning duties.

If the company want to bring an end to it quickly they would just ignore the write ups and move on.
It looks like it's the company that is asking the FAs to write up the pilots. From the CUPE Blog:

"WestJet has asked Flight Attendants to “write up” Pilots who do not “volunteer” for this work. The Pilots’ contract does not include language directing them to clean the aircraft on a complimentary basis."
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Yes and from the FA CUPE blog FA's won't be doing unpaid grooming for long either:

https://westjet.cupe.ca/news/

Flight Attendants have made it very clear to the Local 4070 Executive that they will not accept being accountable for unpaid cleaning of the company fleet on an ongoing basis.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes and from the FA CUPE blog FA's won't be doing unpaid grooming for long either:

https://westjet.cupe.ca/news/

So perhaps as a result of this we can look forward to a level of aircraft cleanliness more on par with AC. If so this is a very negative development.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
5mm
Suspended

Could Sim's replacement becoming soon!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
If we could drag the union mentality kicking and screaming into the 20th century we’d only be one century behind.

It seems that some of them think they’re still working in the coal mines of the 1860s.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
Could Sim's replacement becoming soon!
I'm of the opinion that he won't be around at the end of the year. He just doesn't seem to be the right guy to move Westjet toward success in the future. He has the support of a lot of employees and level of trust is at an all time low. He talks a lot about trust and building relationships but it seems really shallow.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
He talks a lot about trust and building relationships but it seems really shallow.
Especially the bonehead decision to issue a memo to the FA's to write up pilots, I mean c'mon!!
Besides it looks like the FA's are not going to comply (write up fellow crew members) anyway...so what's HQ's plan B?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Especially the bonehead decision to issue a memo to the FA's to write up pilots, I mean c'mon!!
Besides it looks like the FA's are not going to comply (write up fellow crew members) anyway...so what's HQ's plan B?
Who would expect such a strategy to work in the first place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.