Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

CUPE & WS Cabin Grooming Update: WS asks FA's to "write up" pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CUPE & WS Cabin Grooming Update: WS asks FA's to "write up" pilots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 575M
That information is coming from CUPE. I hope that the good participants of FlyerTalk would possibly use a “grain of salt” when reading anything that comes from them.

My information is different and does not involve a “memo”.

My gut reaction when I saw this whole thing was actually that there wasn't any memo directing FA's to "write-up" pilots. The fact that CUPE put "write-up" in quotes was a bit of a trigger for me. I've seen a far simpler explanation play out in other places - a complete management misread of the current labour situation to the point of being blind.

Here's is a reasonable scenario: In the wake of the new pilots agreement, management decides that they need to know how many times pilots are still helping groom the aircraft, despite it not being part of in-scope duties. They want to know this for planning purposes, either to prepare for the FA negotiations or to budget for dedicated turnaround grooming staff in the future if the FA's no longer have to groom soon. So, someone gets the bright idea, "Let's just ask the FA's to tell us for each flight, whether the pilots helped them or not. Then, we'll be able to extrapolate the extra cost." No discussion of how the request might be interpreted, or even if the data would be helpful. Certainly no discussion with labour relations. A seemingly innocent request for help in planning. Often times it comes from someone who has been there a while and still remembers/lives in the days when everyone at WS was one big happy family.

But...a complete misread of the current situation and a complete lack of ability to see a communication/problem from the receiver's point of view. And this is the result, where CUPE seizes on the communication to move it to their own ends.

TBH, the video request debacle last year likely started as the same kind of thought process. We want some information to help us, let's ask our customers to get it, without one thought for how someone would see that or interpret that.

PS. Sorry if this comes across as a rant, but this is my line of work is helping people see that other side as a critical step in facilitating desired behavior change. Part of my line of work has to live by the rule, "Never assume malice was the motivation, when simple apathy and thoughtlessness can explain it."
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YEGTigger
....... my line of work is helping people see that other side as a critical step in facilitating desired behavior change.
I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have slept through some of your presentations.
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Talking

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have slept through some of your presentations.
I use more interesting language than I used above, to keep people from sleeping... usually.
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
It is almost as boneheaded as the request that went out to Gold members in either late 2017 or early 2018 to take videos of the cabin crews and submit them to Management.
10,000 videos of Chopped Leaf mush bowls and peoples doing thumbs down videos then arrived.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.