WS Plat/Gold, Post your Upgrade Sucess Here

Old Jan 6, 19, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
WS Plat/Gold, Post your Upgrade Sucess Here

In an effort to get a better understanding of how often WS gives comp upgrades to Premium to WS Platinum or Gold members please post your success or failure here. Example posting is shown below but feel free to add more information as you see fit:

Date: Jan 6 2019
Flight: WS 555
Route: YYZ-LAX
Upgraded: (Y/N): Y
Original Fare: Flex
When?: (At gate or T-25 or T-36)
Troubler likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I am 100% flown in "Plus" on every WS flight I have no matter the distance, destination or date. My foolproof system guarantees it.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
I am 100% flown in "Plus" on every WS flight I have no matter the distance, destination or date. My foolproof system guarantees it.
I employ the same foolproof system as you but we are trying to develop crude data to help better understand if and when WS provides UGs to those who for whatever reason are unable or unwilling to adopt out methodology.
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: none
Does that foolproof system involve paying for Plus at booking time?
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:07 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Of course it does!! Unfortunately for some of my clients, my flights get booked by a 3rd party that only buys economy fares!
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Yes indeed, Flex Plus in fact because I change or cancel quite a bit. None of this mooching and praying for me. The fewer freebie upgrades and the like the better they will perform financially and/or offer lower or stable fares. Ideally they drop both the upgrades for status and the paid at check-in, or at least charge a lot more like double, for paid at check-in. I am sure they have not optimized revenue with these tiny fees they charge for at check-in which just alienates people who pay for a seat properly, e.g. with money.

Fewer Plus noobs at 9 a.m. wanting double vodkas because they are not charged for them as well, which is a bonus.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Of course it does!! Unfortunately for some of my clients, my flights get booked by a 3rd party that only buys economy fares!
What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Time to get a new fence. Or new clients, the cheapskates.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence? Time to get a new fence. Or new clients, the cheapskates.
Cheapskate clients? For the rates I charge, I don't think so. Well managed financially? Most definitely! I'm at a point in my career where I can be very choosy on the work/clients that I take on. Nevertheless I'm grateful that I can choose the flights and hotel that suit my needs best. They are the clients that I like to keep, they pay in a very timely manner, they keep me busy. Whether I get upgraded automatically, or I pay for an upgrade is icing on the cake, and I get to sit in a plus seat a lot more times than I don't.

Last edited by Arthurrs; Jan 10, 19 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:13 am

Ok, a few data points for this thread:

Tier: Platinum
Date: Jan 8 2019
Flight: WS 585
Route: YHM-YYC
When?: T-25

Date: Jan 8 2019
Flight: WS 1570
Route: YYC-DEN
Upgraded: (Y/N): Had to call in to platinum line to force an upgrade at T-24 for some unknown reason
When?: T-24

Date: Jan 10 2019
Flight: WS 1571
Route: DEN-YYC
When?: T-35

Date: Jan 10 2019
Flight: WS 584
Route: YYC-YHM
When?: T-35
Frequentlander likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
NOT Upgraded

Tier:
Gold
Date: Jan 17 2019
Flight: WS 230
Route: YYC-YWG
Upgraded: (Y/N): N
Original Fare: Econo Flex
When?: T-18; T-8

There are 12 premium seats available. Only 5 are taken. 7 empty. Yet no automatic upgrade to premium when I checked in despite 7 empty seats. It is supposed to be done automatically prior to the 24 hour check in window. Now at T-8 hr, still 7 empty seats. No love from WJ. Another disappointment. I honestly cannot justify flying WJ when they can't honour their promises. And check this out, when I asked at the airport about this, they said, "upgrades are done randomly for our Gold and Platinum members. If you didn't get put into a premium seat by now, you just haven't been selected. You are welcome to pay for the upgrade."

Last edited by Sunny Day; Jan 17, 19 at 10:47 pm
Old Jan 19, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Honestly, I donít expect upgrades with WJ or any airline. Iíve received them when I flew with Alaska and Delta regularly, and I didnít get them with AC or United. WestJet has given me upgrades sometimes and I appreciate but I tend to upgrade when I check in if I need to work.

I get lots of WestJet dollars now when booking and they donít charge me for seat selection. Those are great. Upgrades are nice but I donít mind paying for them.

Last edited by jkordyback; Jan 19, 19 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 19, 19, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
And check this out, when I asked at the airport about this, they said, "upgrades are done randomly for our Gold and Platinum members. If you didn't get put into a premium seat by now, you just haven't been selected. You are welcome to pay for the upgrade."
Randomly is a pretty mean sounding strategy to admit to, so in this case they left with empty seats and (maybe) selected "some" G or P members to upgrade out of a larger set? I guess you can't really know but this reinforces just doing away with it like CX does (as some sort of "benefit") and just say look pay for it or forget it. Better yet get rid of the pay at check-in for it which devalues the product for sale and will be worse with "real J" if they ever get that done with more than one aircraft.

Did they say how random? Out of 10 waiting, and 7 seats, they draw 1 name for 1 of the 7? Do they randomly decide how many of the 7 then randomly pick that quantity? Must be an IT nightmare.
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:30 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Most airlines try to sell J (once WS gets it) to monetize the cabin.... it's not weird to be able to upgrade by paying. It's just cheap to upgrade because you don't get much yet.
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:40 pm

When my automatic upgrade didn't happen for my transborder flight despite spending extra $$ for a flex fare, when I spoke with the platinum support line, I pointed out that is was silly for me to spend extra dollars on a flex fare with the hopes that Westjet will fulfill their promised benefit to upgrade me to plus if it randomly doesn't happen for some odd reason, despite the cabin being practically empty. I could have spent less money, got a cheap economy fare, then paid for the upgrade to plus at T-48, less fussing on seats! While I appreciate promised benefits as a top tier member, it's inconsistencies like this that may not have the desired effect if they want more revenue from me.

As a platinum tier member, if there are seats open at the front of the plane, I'd love to be upgraded! Whether it happens at T-48, T-24, or at the gate, let's get some consistency. They have some loyalty from me, how about something in return?
YYCguy likes this.

Last edited by Arthurrs; Jan 19, 19 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 20, 19, 5:02 pm

If you fly enough on WS (to be Platinum) to use the credit for a changed flight in the future, why not buy non-Flex Plus, be assured of a seat and at worst you change or cancel and use the credit later? There's no guarantee at T-48 that there will pay for upgrades left to pay for.

If they are doing silly random decisions on if and then who for "free" don't play along. If you want Plus, buy it and then it's assured vs. a game.

Search this Thread