Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS Plat/Gold, Post your Upgrade Sucess Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS Plat/Gold, Post your Upgrade Sucess Here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I’m curious what the pricing is to upgrade to business class during check in, if that’s something they even offer.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Troubler
I’m curious what the pricing is to upgrade to business class during check in, if that’s something they even offer.
1. There is no business class. There is "Premium"
2. Cost to upgrade will depend on distance
3. You can pay to upgrade at OLCI (24 hours before your first flight on a given itinerary).
4. They will also offer paid upgrades at the gate if there is any left after everyone has checked in. They announce the price at the gate.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
1. There is no business class. There is "Premium"
2. Cost to upgrade will depend on distance
3. You can pay to upgrade at OLCI (24 hours before your first flight on a given itinerary).
4. They will also offer paid upgrades at the gate if there is any left after everyone has checked in. They announce the price at the gate.
There is business, but only on the 787. My OLCI is tomorrow so I’ll report back about the price
Symmetre and Frequentlander like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
First upgrade of 2019 from WJ.

Gold status
Date: Feb 25, 2019
Flight: WS 739
Route: YWG YYC
Upgraded: (Y/N): Y
Original Fare: EconoFlex
When?: T-24
Premium cabin - Full
Frequentlander likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by anorg90

There is business, but only on the 787. My OLCI is tomorrow so I’ll report back about the price
Curious how this worked out on the 787.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Curious how this worked out on the 787.
Oops! Forgot....

Not sure how representative this is, but was upgraded to Premium on the YYC-YYZ leg and was offered the upgrade for $99 at check in. But I'm assuming that's the Premium-->Business price
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:59 am

Oooh, that’s extremely reasonable! Thanks for posting.

As a side note, I’m 11/12 for upgrades this year. The only flight I missed so far was a YYZ-YYC. Probably lots of other platinums on board. Definitely saw a number of gold bag tags.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Date: Mar 3, 2019
Flight: WS 717
Route: YYZ-YVR
Upgraded: (Y/N): N
Original Fare: Economy, but a rather spendy single way economy fare at $519 CAD
When?: Paid for my own upgrade at T-25, a $139 + tax fee

Date: Mar 9, 2019
Flight: WS 700
Route: YVR-YYZ
Upgraded: (Y/N): Y
Original Fare: Not sure, booked by corporate travel agent, but suspect it might be a flex fare since I needed flexibility for my return flight home
When?: T-30
I gotta say I was impressed that the flight attendant for my flight home YVR-YYZ took some effort to remember my name, excellent service!!
Frequentlander likes this.

Last edited by Arthurrs; Mar 9, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, West Jet rewards
Gold status
Date: March 9th, 2019
Flight: WS 223
Route: YWG-YYC
Upgraded: (Y/N): Eventually
Original Fare: Flex
When?: At gate

Flying a Econo flex fare that supposed to depart the following day but paid the 54.00 to change it to Saturday night. At priority check in, I asked what the criteria is for being upgraded to premium. I was told that upgrades are complimentary and they don't do that anymore. I pointed out that beginning this past December, Gold and Platinum guests had eligibility to upgrades. The agent says it has been quite confusing and asked his supervisor to speak to me about it. She says they don't do complimentary upgrades anymore and that there are vouchers available. I was quite surprised to hear this from a supervisor. I told her that according to their own website that effective early December, Gold members flying on a econo flex fare or higher were eligible for upgrades. She said that wasn't how she understood it. I wasn't about to complain, I just wanted some clarification on the policy. It's disappointing that staff are not aware of the policy and can't explain it.
When I got to the gate, the original agent waved me over and explained that he gave me a complimentary upgrade to premium and realized that it added to the confusion but wanted to do something because I was pleasant and didn't raise a fuss earlier. I appreciated that very much. I had my choice of seat because there was no one else in Premium.

I'm still confused but then again, I have already qualified for Gold until July 2020 and still haven't got luggage tags from this past year.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by westcanguy
I'm still confused but then again, I have already qualified for Gold until July 2020 and still haven't got luggage tags from this past year.
I haven't received my tags yet for reaching platinum, I have to wonder if we will ever see them? I still have a couple of gold tags left.

Yeah this whole "automatic" upgrade system isn't so automatic, plenty of confusion among staff, the uncertainty is not helping with customer confidence! Hopefully Westjet figures this out soon enough.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
The upgrades vary. I generally book Flex and get upgrades if there are a reasonable amount of Premium seats available. The front line airport staff generally don’t know about the upgrade tool and whatever rules it’s currently using - that’s kind of a back office thing.

Interesting note, I booked Flex this week and changed my flight later (which is why I book Flex) and there were multiple Premium seats available but I didn’t get an upgrade on either leg. Not a big deal but I was wondering if I confused the poor little algorithm.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I haven't received my tags yet for reaching platinum, I have to wonder if we will ever see them? I still have a couple of gold tags left.

Yeah this whole "automatic" upgrade system isn't so automatic, plenty of confusion among staff, the uncertainty is not helping with customer confidence! Hopefully Westjet figures this out soon enough.
The feedback I got from the Platinum help line a while back was that Platinum tags would likely be mailed out in the spring. I hit gold last summer, got my gold tags in December. Sounds like several people got gold tags at the same time so I imagine they only send out in a couple batches a year.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:23 pm

Honestly, I used to get more upgrades before the Platinum program started. I find now with Flex fares and Platinum status I see empty seats in Premium and more paid upgrade options. When the seats are 2x2 and there more food options beside the wrap/croissant/cheese options then paying for the upgrade is worth it. Right now it has little value.

Flex fares as a whole are a dodge for me. The upgrades are getting fewer and fewer, and you still have to pay the regular change fees when flying to the US.

I like the direction that WestJet is going but they are a long, long ways from being a business airline. Luckily in Canada I have the option of two healthy airlines. WestJet made Air Canada an excellent airline. Now let's see if Air Canada can now make WestJet an excellent airline again.

Last edited by jkordyback; Mar 17, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

My platinum baggage tags came in the mail today.

Have fun.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:49 pm

Yep, got my baggage tags yesterday, they look really platinumy!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.