Westjet Pilot Contract

Old Dec 21, 18, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Westjet Pilot Contract

Arbitrators award released today.

WestJet did very well.
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:11 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by 575M View Post

WestJet did very well.
How did seniority work out between WestJet, Swoop and Encore? DOH? Have enough Swoop pilots stuck around to matter?

Last edited by Error 601; Dec 21, 18 at 7:19 pm
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

WestJet and Encore , DOH. Swoop , not sure. Swoop conditions TBA.

Have no idea how many original Swoop pilots remain.
Old Dec 22, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan

WestJet did very well.
When you say WS did very well, is that to assume that the pilot group aka ALPA did not so well?
YYCguy and 5mm like this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Affirmative.

The Snakeoil salesmen did not deliver on their "pie in the sky" promises and WestJet now has a signed , sealed and delivered contract that provides forward visibility for future pilot costs.

To be fair , there were some gains for the pilots but IMO the Company came out much further ahead.

I can't think of a better saying for the pilots than "be careful what you wish for . you just might get it" and in this case deservedly so.
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:00 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
So the ALPA dudes go back to Washington and the WestJet pilots send them money forever...

Did they get anything at all that they couldn't have negotiated for with their original association?
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
So the ALPA dudes go back to Washington and the WestJet pilots send them money forever...

Did they get anything at all that they couldn't have negotiated for with their original association?
The years of service applying from FO to Captain was a possible win but it is unclear at this time how it will be applied. Trip and duty RIGS could be another but it will all depend on how the company adjusts the schedules. I strongly believe we would have come out much further ahead under our previous structure.

The ALPA loyalist spin machine is open at full throttle with the word "foundation" being used frequently (LOL) even though the MEC itself admits in print with "disappointment" with the outcome.

RE:Washington...pay increase was 2%...ALPA dues 1.9% (I believe). You do the math...
YVRtoYYZ likes this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:08 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Affirmative.

The Snakeoil salesmen did not deliver on their "pie in the sky" promises and WestJet now has a signed , sealed and delivered contract that provides forward visibility for future pilot costs.

To be fair , there were some gains for the pilots but IMO the Company came out much further ahead.

I can't think of a better saying for the pilots than "be careful what you wish for . you just might get it" and in this case deservedly so.
Sounds like your echoing WS managements thoughts on the settlement which if true doesn't help to heal the Pilot/Management relationship going forward. You think airing those sentiments on FT is a good move?
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james dean View Post
Sounds like your echoing WS managements thoughts on the settlement which if true doesn't help to heal the Pilot/Management relationship going forward. You think airing those sentiments on FT is a good move?
I'm not echoing anyone. Just answering a few questions with a little personal opinion mixed in. Believe me there is much more to say but I won't be going down that rabbit hole.

Good move? Bad move? This is nothing compared to what has gone on.
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
ALPA says ... "Just want until next time..."

There will be a next time.

Ron.
Old Dec 23, 18, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
I will toss in a few comments from the passenger perspective. It is good news that the threat of a strike is history for the time being. If WS and this union can find a way of working together and renewing contracts without the drama of a potential strike the passengers will be happy to continue flying and paying the bills. If they want to play games must of us don't have time of that and would switch more flying back to AC or others.
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I will toss in a few comments from the passenger perspective. It is good news that the threat of a strike is history for the time being. If WS and this union can find a way of working together and renewing contracts without the drama of a potential strike the passengers will be happy to continue flying and paying the bills. If they want to play games must of us don't have time of that and would switch more flying back to AC or others.
From the details I know so far, this first arbitrated contract will be valid for 4 years, so this should give good stability to the working relationship between the pilots and the company and give confidence to the general public.
Fiordland and james dean like this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
From the details I know so far, this first arbitrated contract will be valid for 4 years, so this should give good stability to the working relationship between the pilots and the company and give confidence to the general public.
Aerobod I agree whole heartedly with your comment!
No need to gloat over the results or go negative at this point.
Old Dec 23, 18, 11:26 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
ALPA says ... "Just want until next time..."

There will be a next time.

Ron.
Talking to WS FA and pilots, a lot of them are not happy with management. WS labour issues could be rocky for a few years.
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by 5mm View Post

Talking to WS FA and pilots, a lot of them are not happy with management. WS labour issues could be rocky for a few years.
I'm getting the same feedback as well which is why I say not helpful to fuel the flame with caustic rhetoric, those 4 years will go by fast. The relationship with management can either become more divisive or cooperative, hopefully the latter will prevail.

Last edited by james dean; Dec 24, 18 at 9:03 am Reason: text

Search this Thread