Westjet Pilot Contract

Old Dec 21, 18, 6:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Westjet Pilot Contract

Arbitrators award released today.

WestJet did very well.
575M is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 2,107
Originally Posted by 575M View Post
Arbitrators award released today.

WestJet did very well.
How did seniority work out between WestJet, Swoop and Encore? DOH? Have enough Swoop pilots stuck around to matter?

Last edited by Error 601; Dec 21, 18 at 7:19 pm
Error 601 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:02 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
WestJet and Encore , DOH. Swoop , not sure. Swoop conditions TBA.

Have no idea how many original Swoop pilots remain.
575M is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 2:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by 575M View Post
Arbitrators award released today.

WestJet did very well.
When you say WS did very well, is that to assume that the pilot group aka ALPA did not so well?
YYCguy and 5mm like this.
james dean is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 3:09 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Affirmative.

The Snakeoil salesmen did not deliver on their "pie in the sky" promises and WestJet now has a signed , sealed and delivered contract that provides forward visibility for future pilot costs.

To be fair , there were some gains for the pilots but IMO the Company came out much further ahead.

I can't think of a better saying for the pilots than "be careful what you wish for . you just might get it" and in this case deservedly so.
575M is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:00 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 2,107
So the ALPA dudes go back to Washington and the WestJet pilots send them money forever...

Did they get anything at all that they couldn't have negotiated for with their original association?
Error 601 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:17 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
So the ALPA dudes go back to Washington and the WestJet pilots send them money forever...

Did they get anything at all that they couldn't have negotiated for with their original association?
The years of service applying from FO to Captain was a possible win but it is unclear at this time how it will be applied. Trip and duty RIGS could be another but it will all depend on how the company adjusts the schedules. I strongly believe we would have come out much further ahead under our previous structure.

The ALPA loyalist spin machine is open at full throttle with the word "foundation" being used frequently (LOL) even though the MEC itself admits in print with "disappointment" with the outcome.

RE:Washington...pay increase was 2%...ALPA dues 1.9% (I believe). You do the math...
YVRtoYYZ likes this.
575M is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by 575M View Post
Affirmative.

The Snakeoil salesmen did not deliver on their "pie in the sky" promises and WestJet now has a signed , sealed and delivered contract that provides forward visibility for future pilot costs.

To be fair , there were some gains for the pilots but IMO the Company came out much further ahead.

I can't think of a better saying for the pilots than "be careful what you wish for . you just might get it" and in this case deservedly so.
Sounds like your echoing WS managements thoughts on the settlement which if true doesn't help to heal the Pilot/Management relationship going forward. You think airing those sentiments on FT is a good move?
james dean is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:29 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
Sounds like your echoing WS managements thoughts on the settlement which if true doesn't help to heal the Pilot/Management relationship going forward. You think airing those sentiments on FT is a good move?
I'm not echoing anyone. Just answering a few questions with a little personal opinion mixed in. Believe me there is much more to say but I won't be going down that rabbit hole.

Good move? Bad move? This is nothing compared to what has gone on.
575M is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,347
ALPA says ... "Just want until next time..."

There will be a next time.

Ron.
newfbc is offline  
Old Dec 23, 18, 9:48 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,388
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
Sounds like your echoing WS managements thoughts on the settlement which if true doesn't help to heal the Pilot/Management relationship going forward. You think airing those sentiments on FT is a good move?
I will toss in a few comments from the passenger perspective. It is good news that the threat of a strike is history for the time being. If WS and this union can find a way of working together and renewing contracts without the drama of a potential strike the passengers will be happy to continue flying and paying the bills. If they want to play games must of us don't have time of that and would switch more flying back to AC or others.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I will toss in a few comments from the passenger perspective. It is good news that the threat of a strike is history for the time being. If WS and this union can find a way of working together and renewing contracts without the drama of a potential strike the passengers will be happy to continue flying and paying the bills. If they want to play games must of us don't have time of that and would switch more flying back to AC or others.
From the details I know so far, this first arbitrated contract will be valid for 4 years, so this should give good stability to the working relationship between the pilots and the company and give confidence to the general public.
Fiordland and james dean like this.
aerobod is offline  
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:16 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
From the details I know so far, this first arbitrated contract will be valid for 4 years, so this should give good stability to the working relationship between the pilots and the company and give confidence to the general public.
Aerobod I agree whole heartedly with your comment!
No need to gloat over the results or go negative at this point.
james dean is offline  
Old Dec 23, 18, 11:26 pm
  #14  
5mm
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
ALPA says ... "Just want until next time..."

There will be a next time.

Ron.
Talking to WS FA and pilots, a lot of them are not happy with management. WS labour issues could be rocky for a few years.
5mm is offline  
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by 5mm View Post


Talking to WS FA and pilots, a lot of them are not happy with management. WS labour issues could be rocky for a few years.
I'm getting the same feedback as well which is why I say not helpful to fuel the flame with caustic rhetoric, those 4 years will go by fast. The relationship with management can either become more divisive or cooperative, hopefully the latter will prevail.

Last edited by james dean; Dec 24, 18 at 9:03 am Reason: text
james dean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread